The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You could argue he got his opportunity because we were a poor team. Had he been on the books of a Man City or Chelsea for example he may have never got a chance. 

I see where you are coming from though. Playing alongside better team mates could take him to another level. We’ll find out next season after we go up. 

Fixed for you mate.  ;)

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You could argue he got his opportunity because we were a poor team. Had he been on the books of a Man City or Chelsea for example he may have never got a chance. 

I see where you are coming from though. Playing alongside better team mates could take him to another level. We’ll find out next season if we don’t go up. 

You could argue that his talent would have been recognised and he would have been bedded in more gently at a Chelsea or City.

It is no coincidence that Grealish and Loftus-Cheek were the only two players to forge a name for themselves from the two teams that played in the final of the NextGen Series back in 2013.

Loftus Cheek is still with Chelsea and s an English international. Who would you prefer in your team out of him and Grealish?

So you could also argue that Grealish was thrown in to a baptism of fire compared to Silva and Loftus Cheek.

You point out that Silva had been selected for Spain at the age of 20 and I will add that Coutinho had been called up for Brazil. There is no denying both were special talents.

However both had the privilege of being signed by clubs which were top of the pile for picking the next young stars.

When was the last time Villa had an academy graduate called up as an international?

You have to go back around 7 years to find an England side with multiple Villa players in it, and they were well established by the time of their call up. The only player since Bent, Downing and Young were all selected has been Delph, again, well established by the time of his call up.

Yet we see teens from the top clubs afforded opportunity frequently. Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Arsenal have all had players given a call up.

The likes of Wilshere got more call ups when he was at Arsenal and playing infrequently than when he went to Bournemouth and was omitted from the English squad.

I just want to point out that I am not necessarily arguing that Grealish is equal to what Silva or Coutinho were at his age. Just that I believe the sky is the limit for him based on what I see him do with the football at the age that he is at now.

I also want to add that I respect your stance and I'm not looking to pick a fight, or convince you of something other than the way you see things for yourself. I'm just sharing how I see it.

Like I said before, he is walking a different path to those who I have said he might be as good as and as it is he is yet to establish himself as a household name or on the world stage.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

You could argue that his talent would have been recognised and he would have been bedded in more gently at a Chelsea or City.

It is no coincidence that Grealish and Loftus-Cheek were the only two players to forge a name for themselves from the two teams that played in the final of the NextGen Series back in 2013.

Loftus Cheek is still with Chelsea and s an English international. Who would you prefer in your team out of him and Grealish?

So you could also argue that Grealish was thrown in to a baptism of fire compared to Silva and Loftus Cheek.

You point out that Silva had been selected for Spain at the age of 20 and I will add that Coutinho had been called up for Brazil. There is no denying both were special talents.

However both had the privilege of being signed by clubs which were top of the pile for picking the next young stars.

When was the last time Villa had an academy graduate called up as an international?

You have to go back around 7 years to find an England side with multiple Villa players in it, and they were well established by the time of their call up. The only player since Bent, Downing and Young were all selected has been Delph, again, well established by the time of his call up.

Yet we see teens from the top clubs afforded opportunity frequently. Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Arsenal have all had players given a call up.

The likes of Wilshere got more call ups when he was at Arsenal and playing infrequently than when he went to Bournemouth and was omitted from the English squad.

I just want to point out that I am not necessarily arguing that Grealish is equal to what Silva or Coutinho were at his age. Just that I believe the sky is the limit for him based on what I see him do with the football at the age that he is at now.

I also want to add that I respect your stance and I'm not looking to pick a fight, or convince you of something other than the way you see things for yourself. I'm just sharing how I see it.

Like I said before, he is walking a different path to those who I have said he might be as good as and as it is he is yet to establish himself as a household name or on the world stage.

I appriecate what you are saying. I just don’t he can be as good as you think he can be.  I see him eventually at a club like Everton.  A team trying to break in to the top 6. (The level  of team we were under MON). 

Hopefully I’m wrong and he turns out to be the player you believe he can be. As long as he gives us a few more years before he moves on. 

10 hours ago, A'Villan said:

You could argue that his talent would have been recognised and he would have been bedded in more gently at a Chelsea or City

They were not bedded in gently though, Age 20 Silva played a 50 game season for Valencia & Coutinho played a combined 32 for Inter & Liverpool. They were thrown straight in at the deep end to teams competing for titles & champions leagues after large transfers to different countries.

I did this in the summer as a comparison when people were saying Grealish was more advanced/Better than both at the same stage in their careers:

Coutinho was 20 years & 7 months old when he joined liverpool, He moved to a completely different country with a different language. Grealish is 23 in 2 months time.

In all the numbers below all cup games (League cup, FA Cup & Champions league) are included:

In the 13 games he played for liverpool that season he scored 3 & got 7 assists. His total for the year including the games played for inter were 32 games played, 6 goals, 8 assists.

Age 21 he played 37, scored 5 & got 7 assists

Age 22 he  played 52 games including 6 in europe, 8 goals, 6 assists

He also made 11 appearances for Brazil in this time

Silva may not have joined the premier league until he was 21 but 07/08 when he was 20 he played 50 games for valencia including 8 champions league games scoring 7 with 11 assists

Age 21 he had a bad injuty that kept him out for half the season but still managed 6 goals & 8 assists in 27 games

Age 22 40 games, 10 goals, 11 assists

He also played 20 times for spain in this period

Both of these players stats are in the top leagues in their country

Grealish was born in September so would have been one of the older kids in every age range compared to silva (jan) & coutinho (june) and would have been 4-9 months older than each of them going into every new season

Grealish Age 20 played 21, goals 1, assists 2

Age 21 (championship) p34, goals 5 assists 5

Age 22 (chamiponship) p34, goals 3 assists 8

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/4026-jack-grealish/?page=782&tab=comments#comment-2469678

Playing quite well against Bolton & Derby doesn't make him David Silva

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, LakotaDakota said:

They were not bedded in gently though, Age 20 Silva played a 50 game season for Valencia & Coutinho played a combined 32 for Inter & Liverpool. They were thrown straight in at the deep end to teams competing for titles & champions leagues after large transfers to different countries.

I did this in the summer as a comparison when people were saying Grealish was more advanced/Better than both at the same stage in their careers:

Coutinho was 20 years & 7 months old when he joined liverpool, He moved to a completely different country with a different language. Grealish is 23 in 2 months time.

In all the numbers below all cup games (League cup, FA Cup & Champions league) are included:

In the 13 games he played for liverpool that season he scored 3 & got 7 assists. His total for the year including the games played for inter were 32 games played, 6 goals, 8 assists.

Age 21 he played 37, scored 5 & got 7 assists

Age 22 he  played 52 games including 6 in europe, 8 goals, 6 assists

He also made 11 appearances for Brazil in this time

Silva may not have joined the premier league until he was 21 but 07/08 when he was 20 he played 50 games for valencia including 8 champions league games scoring 7 with 11 assists

Age 21 he had a bad injuty that kept him out for half the season but still managed 6 goals & 8 assists in 27 games

Age 22 40 games, 10 goals, 11 assists

He also played 20 times for spain in this period

Both of these players stats are in the top leagues in their country

Grealish was born in September so would have been one of the older kids in every age range compared to silva (jan) & coutinho (june) and would have been 4-9 months older than each of them going into every new season

Grealish Age 20 played 21, goals 1, assists 2

Age 21 (championship) p34, goals 5 assists 5

Age 22 (chamiponship) p34, goals 3 assists 8

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/4026-jack-grealish/?page=782&tab=comments#comment-2469678

You and I have already had a discussion on this topic.

Without wanting to sound rude I haven't taken the time to read over the above post, as I have to go to training.

I'm sure you've been thorough in your assessment of Grealish in comparison to those mentioned though.

I am open to the idea that my excitement over his potential and the skills he is already displaying may be biased and that my recollection of accounts are not as fresh and accurate as they could be.

On 17/11/2018 at 00:34, Keyblade said:

That is exceptional considering he's an attacking midfielder.

He also plays a lot of through balls between defenders which if not weighed perfectly they will be intercepted

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He also plays a lot of through balls between defenders which if not weighed perfectly they will be intercepted

He also makes 2.1 key passes per game, tied for 6th in the league (a tie that includes our Super John McGinn as well). It's an astonishing stat really.

Jack has always been a joy to watch...hopefully Dean will make him more effective and tweak that next bit out of him

until he is more effective and scoring goals or creating assists, his status will always be potential.

This is not a criticism its an observation.

I feel a bit sorry for him at times, needs to be more selfish instead of being benevolent to the team, always funnelling back to help out with his ball control, will not get him the plaudits his talent can muster.

His ball control should be deployed in the final third as opposed to the first third.

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Jack has always been a joy to watch...hopefully Dean will make him more effective and tweak that next bit out of him

until he is more effective and scoring goals or creating assists, his status will always be potential.

This is not a criticism its an observation.

He has gone beyond potential for me and has at the very least started to realise it.

He is pretty much involved in everything good we do in an attacking sense. He may not provide the final ball but will have been heavily involved in the build up in terms of breaking forward, creating space for others, providing the pass that led to the assist or drawing the foul that led to a goal. If he was not in the side I'd imagine you could strike at least 8 goals off us.

It would be doing him a disservice though just to focus on his attacking play as I think he has come on bundles over the last year or so in terms of his defensive play. He tracks back, he tackles and now will often win challenges in the air. 

He is fast becoming an all round midfielder and whilst a few more goals and direct assists would be nice, and I am sure they will come, his contribution to the team already justifies him being one of the first names on the team sheet.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

He has gone beyond potential for me and has at the very least started to realise it.

He is pretty much involved in everything good we do in an attacking sense. He may not provide the final ball but will have been heavily involved in the build up in terms of breaking forward, creating space for others, providing the pass that led to the assist or drawing the foul that led to a goal. If he was not in the side I'd imagine you could strike at least 8 goals off us.

It would be doing him a disservice though just to focus on his attacking play as I think he has come on bundles over the last year or so in terms of his defensive play. He tracks back, he tackles and now will often win challenges in the air. 

He is fast becoming an all round midfielder and whilst a few more goals and direct assists would be nice, and I am sure they will come, his contribution to the team already justifies him being one of the first names on the team sheet.

If he can develop even more and I believe he can particularly under the watchful eye of Dean Smith, then that is further fulfilling his potential imv.

but hey ho, different interpretations.

15 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Spot on. We’ve all known for a while he is too good for this league. This will be his last season here if we don’t get promoted. I’m sure of that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TRO said:

If he can develop even more and I believe he can particularly under the watchful eye of Dean Smith, then that is further fulfilling his potential imv.

but hey ho, different interpretations.

Oh yes no doubt he can still develop further especially under a coach like Smith I just think to say his status is still just potential is not giving him the credit he deserves as he has realised much of his potential and has now become a very good player and a crucial player for us.

• Like 1

Â