The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, TRO said:

some of the best players have average games at times.....what we are encouraged about, is seeing a player with skills we haven't seen for a decade or more.

I get your point and it has validity....but blimey, surely we can wax a bit of lyrical when we have a technician on the payroll.

He will have form dips like most players and he does have room for improvements, like goal tally.....but when he's on....he's a joy to watch.

Of course we can. I love him and have lost count of how many complimentary posts I’ve written about him. He’a a joy to watch and my favourite player.  

I just think it’s crazy to think he can ever be as good as David Silva. One of the best players the Premier League has ever seen! 

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Of course we can. I love him and have lost count of how many complimentary posts I’ve written about him. He’a a joy to watch and my favourite player.  

I just think it’s crazy to think he can ever be as good as David Silva. One of the best players the Premier League has ever seen! 

VLV.....there is always someone who wants to stretch things or exaggerate a situation....human nature.

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not that I disagree, but how was Silva performing at the same age?

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Not that I disagree, but how was Silva performing at the same age?

Ever present at Valencia at the age of 20. Made his Debut for Spain at the same age. 

You could see he was something special at an early age. 

I love Grealish and he will go far. Hopefully with us. 

But I think we’d know by now if he was going to be world class. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ever present at Valencia at the age of 20. Made his Debut for Spain at the same age. 

and he clearly isn't ....playing for a team in 11th place in the championship....and not much chance of staking his claim, just yet

similar things were said about Gary Shaw and Sid Cowans....but when they lifted the coveted prize, it suddenly wasn't so daft.....didn't Gary get the European golden boot?IIRC.

It is easy to overstate things at Villa, but its just as easy to over look them too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

and he clearly isn't ....playing for a team in 11th place in the championship....and not much chance of staking his claim, just yet

similar things were said about Gary Shaw and Sid Cowans....but when they lifted the coveted prize, it suddenly wasn't so daft.....didn't Gary get the European golden boot?IIRC.

It is easy to overstate things at Villa, but its just as easy to over look them too.

Living in the past again Tro ;)

Different times pal. I mean Pele was scoring in WC finals at 17 in the 60s. Doubt we’ll ever see that again. 

23 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Living in the past again Tro ;)

Different times pal. I mean Pele was scoring in WC finals at 17 in the 60s. Doubt we’ll ever see that again. 

Its difficult not to refer back, because I can.....@ 67 its hard not to.

The different times argument is flawed IMO....its valid with some things and not others.

Young players are still tearing it up around the world, the boy Mbappe?....Pele was a phenomenon, but you can't rule anything out, new phenomenons cannot be ruled out.

Edited by TRO

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

Well Liverpool not accepting the Suarez bid from Arsenal was never really investigated

Liverpool broke the contract agreement to reject the offer and had it gone to court they would have lost, however the only way for it to go to court was for Suarez to sue them which would have really screwed him as it was too late to make the transfer anyway by that point and it may have even put off clubs from bidding for him in the future meaning he'd be stuck at a club he's just sued so it never happened, the club then convinced him to sign a new contract and sold him the following summer and I'm assuming there was some kind of agreement in place that that would happen.

It really was a one off and I don't think any team should make it their policy to ignore contractual obligations and hope the player is OK with it

13 hours ago, TRO said:

Its difficult not to refer back, because I can.....@ 67 its hard not to.

The different times argument is flawed IMO....its valid with some things and not others.

Young players are still tearing it up around the world, the boy Mbappe?....Pele was a phenomenon, but you can't rule anything out, new phenomenons cannot be ruled out.

Yes you are rite young players are still tearing it up,I play fifa 19 and it doesn't even go un-noticed on that game.

There are some excellent young players causing a storm, I think the pool of young players making big names for themselves is bigger than what it was when pele was playing, pele  was a rare occurrence back then.

Here is some of the youth who are making it big in the world of football today and there's plenty more than these..

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/best-young-players-fifa-19-career-mode

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, weedman said:

It really was a one off and I don't think any team should make it their policy to ignore contractual obligations and hope the player is OK with it

I only thing they ignored it due to the disrespectful nature of bidding a pound over 40M for a player that had just won player of the year award, was one of the best players in the world at the time and would have probably led Arsenal to their first title in years and more.

Any chance of Negotiations broke down straight away. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I only thing they ignored it due to the disrespectful nature of bidding a pound over 40M for a player that had just won player of the year award, was one of the best players in the world at the time and would have probably led Arsenal to their first title in years and more.

Any chance of Negotiations broke down straight away. 

Well his release clause was £40m, negotiations shouldn't have been required once they activated it, but they rejected it anyway and luckily for them convinced Suarez not to take it further and to sign a new contract instead. They were lucky it worked out as well as it did for them 

Anyway back on topic, that Gresford seems alright doesn't he? 

On 15/11/2018 at 06:28, Vive_La_Villa said:

Jack played over half a Premier League season for us at age 19.

Which do you think is easier when you are a budding young prospect?

To establish yourself surrounded by teammates that are superior to the competition with Valencia. Or, to establish yourself in the best league in the world for a team that is struggling with Aston Villa?

It's a trick question because I don't have an answer for you. They are walking different paths.

I admit I have been guilty of thinking that Jack can reach the heights attained by the likes of Silva and Coutinho.

But that's not really a road I want to revisit, I made my arguments very clear as to why I think he holds that potential.

I guess I'll leave it with this, it was great to see him against Derby. You see exactly why Spurs, who have a world class midfield, were bidding to have Jack as part of it.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Jack played over half a Premier League season for us at age 19.

Which do you think is easier when you are a budding young prospect?

To establish yourself surrounded by teammates that are superior to the competition with Valencia. Or, to establish yourself in the best league in the world for a team that is struggling with Aston Villa?

It's a trick question because I don't have an answer for you. They are walking different paths.

I admit I have been guilty of thinking that Jack can reach the heights attained by the likes of Silva and Coutinho.

But that's not really a road I want to revisit, I made my arguments very clear as to why I think he holds that potential.

I guess I'll leave it with this, it was great to see him against Derby. You see exactly why Spurs, who have a world class midfield, were bidding to have Jack as part of it.

You could argue he got his opportunity because we were a poor team. Had he been on the books of a Man City or Chelsea for example he may have never got a chance. 

I see where you are coming from though. Playing alongside better team mates could take him to another level. We’ll find out next season if we don’t go up. 

• Like 1

Â