The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

44 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

I think hourihane playing the holding role helped Jack in the way he could stay further forward where he can make the difference 

Hopefully this is the way forward 

Personally I thought hourihane was terrible vs Bolton, of the options we have in that position I would go for Thor.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Personally I thought hourihane was terrible vs Bolton, of the options we have in that position I would go for Thor.

Conor never looks like he does much but for some reason we win more games with him in the side 

I think his passing ability gives you better game control in that position most of the time on Friday when he got the ball he tried to play it forward where the rest of our holding midfielders just play it sideways that is why Jack gets frustrated and drops deeper to get involved as there is no one brave enough to pass it forward

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I still think Thor as holding mid is a myth and people ignore his weaknesses because of the cameo goals

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I still think Thor as holding mid is a myth and people ignore his weaknesses because of the cameo goals

Yep. And his "movement". Same movement that Scott Hogan has. i.e. he runs around a lot.

I don't mind BB any more. I think he's decent enough.

But I'd still rank him as our 3rd best DM.
Whether he'll suit Smith's system more remains to be seen.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. And his "movement". Same movement that Scott Hogan has. i.e. he runs around a lot.

I don't mind BB any more. I think he's decent enough.

But I'd still rank him as our 3rd best DM.
Whether he'll suit Smith's system more remains to be seen.

I think it depends on the opposition. Against pacey players he’s our best option. Against teams with a more direct approach or one that will take the game to us I prefer Jedinak. Whelan I think is struggling a bit now. I know you’re a fan but I don’t think we’ll see much more of him this season. 

On topic it’s good to see Jack staying further forward. 

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it depends on the opposition. Against pacey players he’s our best option. Against teams with a more direct approach or one that will take the game to us I prefer Jedinak. Whelan I think is struggling a bit now. I know you’re a fan but I don’t think we’ll see much more of him this season. 

It's not that I'm a "fan" of Whelan. I just think he gets loads of stick regardless of his performance. A lot of the fanbase seemed to form their opinion of him after his first couple of games, which were admittedly poor, and have never wavered.

Most of the time Whelan plays he's pretty good. Rarely amazing, but rarely shit.

But read his thread and it's like he's the worst player we've ever had. He's a far more consistent player than BB, and whilst BB has his moments, I think he's generally a poorer player than both Whelan an Jedinak. Although he does admittedly have age on his side.

• Like 3

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It's not that I'm a "fan" of Whelan. I just think he gets loads of stick regardless of his performance. A lot of the fanbase seemed to form their opinion of him after his first couple of games, which were admittedly poor, and have never wavered.

Most of the time Whelan plays he's pretty good. Rarely amazing, but rarely shit.

But read his thread and it's like he's the worst player we've ever had. He's a far more consistent player than BB, and whilst BB has his moments, I think he's generally a poorer player than both Whelan an Jedinak. Although he does admittedly have age on his side.

I know what you mean. I think the same about Taylor and sometimes Elmo. Taylor was ok last 2 games but minds have been made up about him and to some he can never do right again. 

As for Thor. I agree he is no where near as good as Jed and Whelan were at his age. They are both just leggy now for a position that needs a lot of movement. 

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't mind Whelan, a much better option than Hourihane or BB to go alongside McGinn and Grealish

41 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think Whelan is ahead of Jedinak in the pecking order. Jedinak hasnt got a minute yet especially with Bolton knocking it long

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Completely agree in that Whelan is more often than not a good performer for us. For most of this season he's also been more tidy on the ball than BB. What BB does bring I guess is increased mobility and the occasional goal threat. Whelan definitely doesn't have that. 

Its ridiculous because we've got three decent enough options in that position but I think it'll be one of the first signings Smith makes because of how important the position is for how he wants to play. 

Writing definitely on the wall for Jedi, he has had a decent career but I'd be surprised if he makes 10 starts for Smith. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

5 bookings and a suspension seems harsh considering how easy it is to get booked these days. 

I know. I would seriously tjink about taking grealish off at 60 minute mark for this one.

57 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Has he been fit though? If he has then you’re probably right. 

He has been on the bench for last 3 games at least. Not sure if he was on bench vs Swansea

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think a lot depends on what folk are looking for in the first place.

Whelan is sometimes compared for the wrong reasons and his qualities are not always valued.

He is not eye candy, like some, thus not always appreciated in the right context.

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Barely heard his name mentioned on here, how was he today for anyone that watched the game?

Quiet firsr half but ran the show second. Tracked back superbly too. 

You could tell he was very sensible with his challenges to avoid a yellow. 

• Thanks 1

Â