The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

There is no doubt he is going and regardless of the financial mess he may well have gone anyway. It is now all about trying to get the best deal we can for him. I know he has great potential but I think expecting to get 40 mill will be wishful thinking. I'd hope we can get 20-25 mill and a clause for a percentage of any future sell on fee or further payments based on him realising his potential and playing for England etc.

It hurts that he is gong but maybe it is down to the amount of time I have been following the club but I have become used to players going, either due to them wanting to leave or necessity, and almost become immune to the disappointment. We may not see a players of Jacks ilk for a long time but one will come along eventually.

I think we’re the same generation Mark and as far back as the late 70’s we’ve seen players like Gray, Gidman, Platt, Yorke, and more recently Milner, Barry & Benteke leave for various reasons, either ambition or for financial gain.

Jack leaving us a bigger kick in the balls for me than any of the above names. In previous years we’ve used transfer fees to replace outgoing players, this season it’s just to keep Dr F***wit’s ego going.

• Like 3

I assume we need to sell Jack to cover running costs (which p**sses me off). But if we need to sell him because of FFP, why not wait until the January transfer window? It wouldn't matter for the FFP if we sell him now or then. Prices are generally higher in that window. We would keep Jack for half a season and we would be given more time to try to shift other players instead.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner

36 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

I think we’re the same generation Mark and as far back as the late 70’s we’ve seen players like Gray, Gidman, Platt, Yorke, and more recently Milner, Barry & Benteke leave for various reasons, either ambition or for financial gain.

Jack leaving us a bigger kick in the balls for me than any of the above names. In previous years we’ve used transfer fees to replace outgoing players, this season it’s just to keep Dr F***wit’s ego going.

I agree, for me Yorke, Southgate, Barry and Delph has been the hardest to take so far. But Jack feels the worst. Mostly because we sell him just because of mismanagement by the owners, sell him to cover the costs. It's not him leaving, it's us kicking him out. We are kicking out one of our own, our most gifted player I have ever seen, the one that gives me hope of us becoming a top side.

I'm sure he could have stayed for at least another season if we weren't in this mess.

Xia - you kick out Jack, we will kick out you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

Yes there is no doubt this one is different and a kick in the balls as most of the others desperately wanted out for their own ambitions where as Grealish going is because our owner is a reckless charlatan.

The whole thing is a tragic mess and probably Grealish going epitomises the whole sorry story of the way Lerner and now Xia have run the club into the ground.

I believe we'll rise again though. I just hope it is in my lifetime ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Grealish has got fantastic ball control. Not the quickest (an overrated attribute at times imo, skill over speed in my book) and his shot could be better (although it has improved).

He’s only going to get better and will be a huge loss if he goes (still holding onto hope that he will somehow stay). He really is and is going to be quite some player.

I don’t see many players nowadays with the (natural?) ability to carry the ball up the field with ease.

Hazard did so well against Brazil yesterday...

I actually think the individual skill and talent of players has declined within the last couple of decades and been replaced with superior fitness and athleticism instead.

He does have fantastic ball control. Not quite at Coutinho's level yet though, understandably, who I was comparing him to, perhaps a little unfairly.

I agree with you regarding players carrying the ball, and would be inclined to say that natural ability and poise weighs in heavily on someones ability to do so.

Though it can be learned. It was English scouts who exposed the Brazilian methodology for creating players who could do just that.

Instead of a systematic approach in the final third, their players are encouraged to make their own decisions and develop chemistry through their own imagination.

Not very complex and doesn't seem to be revolutionary on the surface, but it works. Even their back line has decent ability on the ball and have had for some time.

People going nuts about the likely prospect of selling Grealish. 

We've had to sell our best players for years now, the only reason we haven't seen it often in the last few seasons is because we haven't had any stars worth taking by the bigger clubs. 

We're now a championship team, everyone needs to adjust accordingly, irrespective of the alleged financial plight we may have had to sell him anyway. 

It's no more annoying then when Benteke left, or when Milner and Barry went, it's nothing new. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We've had to sell our best players for years now, the only reason we haven't seen it often in the last few seasons is because we haven't had any stars worth taking by the bigger clubs. 

We're now a championship team, everyone needs to adjust accordingly, irrespective of the alleged financial plight we may have had to sell him anyway. 

It's no more annoying then when Benteke left, or when Milner and Barry went, it's nothing new. 

Also, it was less than a year ago on this thread we had comments like Jack's gotta step up, and it's now or never, or he's had every chance etc. Disappointing he goes but, and there is every possible chance, that folks like Green COH and RHM will be worth 25 mill next summer. Southampton went through this pain frequently, it worked for them. 

I can’t remember the last time we had a player of Jack’s ability and potential though, he’s a fairly unique talent imo and would be a bigger loss than any of the “big names” that have moved on previously.

Added to that, the fact that he is Villa through and through (unlike the others), would make it all the more painful and regrettable if he were to leave. He’s the kind of player we should be building the team around but we have faltered badly as a club...

It’s all very sad to put it simply.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think the big difference here, as others have alluded to already, is that in the case of Yorke, Southgate, Ugo, Barry, Milner, Young, Benteke, Delph etc we were reluctant sellers. Now due to the owner being a total fraud and gambling with our clubs future leaving us in dire straights we are more than willing sellers, in fact we are actively encouraging it. 

It hurts but there is an acceptance that players will show little loyalty and move on when a club wants them that is in a better position offering more money. What is happening here though is totally unacceptable as the sale of Grealish, Chester, Kodjia, Adomah.... will be due to the shambolic way the club has been run. The money also won't be reinvested.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He's been sold for pennies to cover the cracks of poor ownership, his next club will make the real money on him. It's pathetic . Xia's got to go he's a lying cheating con man UTV

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

He's been sold for pennies to cover the cracks of poor ownership, his next club will make the real money on him. It's pathetic . Xia's got to go he's a lying cheating con man UTV

Where has he been sold to for pennies? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think the big difference here, as others have alluded to already, is that in the case of Yorke, Southgate, Ugo, Barry, Milner, Young, Benteke, Delph etc we were reluctant sellers. Now due to the owner being a total fraud and gambling with our clubs future leaving us in dire straights we are more than willing sellers, in fast we are actively encouraging it. 

It hurts but there is an acceptance that players will show little loyalty and move on when a club wants them that is in a better position offering more money. What is happening here though is totally unacceptable as the sale of Grealish, Chester, Kodjia, Adomah.... will be due to the shambolic way the club has been run. The money also won't be reinvested.

Mark, putting Xia aside, we are a championship club relegated from the PL 3 years ago who narrowly missed out on promotion this season. 

Whichever way you cut it, we (and anyone in our position, taking into account FFP), would have to cut their cloth accordingly. That means moving on the better players to bigger clubs, it sucks big time, it's shit, but its where we are right now. 

8 hours ago, tinker said:

He's been sold for pennies???

I thought having our pants down at £20m was potentially bad enough.. now it's pennies you say.

Who's he signed for..?

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

I said before we will get 15-20 million for him plus a player, if Spurs be Onomah

though I would take 15 million and a season on loan

Nope. Too late for that, I've read that he's already been sold for pennies.

I think our fans need to realise that developing players to sell to the big boys is now where we are at. This season it’s Grealish, next it might be Green and Davis, the season after it could be O’Hare or whoever. Until we get back into the Premier League, this is the right way to do things (providing you drive a hard bargain!)

How many times in recent years have we seen our players go for free or cheap, because we refuse to sell them when they’re in form, and we keep them until they turn to shit?

Selling Grealish is a sickener because he’s a Villa fan, and because of the financial situation we’re in, but selling a player while they’re in form and sought after is what we need to be doing. After he’s gone we’ll just have to hope that someone else steps into his shoes as our new favourite.

It's clear to me from his social media (posting tweets, liking avfcofficial posts, interacting with teammates) that he's more than happy here and wants to stay. If he leaves, it'll be because we're desperate for money and he's being forced out by Xia.

How sad.

Â