The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, villan-scott said:

I find it odd that it was very questionable whether he was in Portugal, no pics or posts anywhere. Now, all of sudden he’s in every shot and he’s back posting on social media. 

What’s changed? 

They took some more photos? 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, blandy said:

Totally. This one stings the more because of circumstances. The club’s been badly run and the ensuing car crash means he’s going as a consequence. No car crash and he’d have stayed.  Plus he,s a home grown player of exceptional talent. One of those few players i’d go to a game just to see him play.

And if we'd cracked the top 4 Milner, Barry and Young wouldn't have left, if we'd won the FA Cup maybe Benteke and Delph would have stuck it out another year. 

Again, I repeat, what is actually new abour having to sell our better players? 

Edit - particularly now that we're a second tier team

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1

Unless you are Real Madrid / Barcelona you will always have to sell your best players. Even Liverpool/UTD/Spurs etc can't hold onto players once the real big boys come calling, They might get them to stay one more year but if Real/Barca really want someone then 99% of the time they will get them

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Unless you are Real Madrid / Barcelona you will always have to sell your best players. Even Liverpool/UTD/Spurs etc can't hold onto players once the real big boys come calling, They might get them to stay one more year but if Real/Barca really want someone then 99% of the time they will get them

I’ve not seen anyone rue us selling our best player. That’s just football as you say.

Its the circumstances of financial mismanagement and failure to go up with such a decent squad that has meant (1) he is going earlier than would’ve been the case and (2) the money is going down the drain.

• Like 3

I think the biggest difference between selling Grealish, and Benteke, Delph or Yorke is the fact all of the latter wanted to move, whereas it would seem Grealish isn’t angling for a move but we’re pushing it due to mismanagement. 

Even the likes of Coutinho pushed for their big move making Liverpool a selling club. 

Yes every club is a selling club, but this situation is quite unique in that Grealish looks like he would quite happily stick around a bit longer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Stunned that you can’t see what’s different to be honest.

Go on then Terry, enlighten me. 

Tell me what is so different here than when we sold any one of Barry, milner, young, benteke or Delph. 

Can't wait for this. 

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

And if we'd cracked the top 4 Milner, Barry and Young wouldn't have left, if we'd won the FA Cup maybe Benteke and Delph would have stuck it out another year. 

Again, I repeat, what is actually new abour having to sell our better players? 

Edit - particularly now that we're a second tier team

Sure players leaving isn't new. I don't think anyone's said it is, have they? For my post you replied to I hope the clue as to why I think it's different is in these words

10 hours ago, blandy said:

because of circumstances

It's not that he's leaving, it's that he's leaving because we're financially effed. That's the first difference for me.

The second is that while I admired the quality of Ashley Young or Benteke, to me they were essentially "just very good players" who happened to be at Villa. Jack is an exceptional talent who didn't turn up at Villa by a kind of revolving market. He is here because Villa is his Club and his team. 

Another factor is that the funds won't go to buy replacement(s), they'll go towards the massive financial back hole and disappear.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Go on then Terry, enlighten me. 

Tell me what is so different here than when we sold any one of Barry, milner, young, benteke or Delph. 

Can't wait for this. 

I’d say it’s covered comprehensively on this and the preceding page. You have said clearly you think the scenario we are in as regards Grealish is no different to those others, fine. I’m stunned you think so. I can’t add anything more.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The summer we sold Benteke and Delph we spent more than £50m on new players. There's one difference, right there. 

The summer we sold Benteke and Delph we were a PL club with little or no concerns regarding FFP.

16 hours ago, terrytini said:

I’d say it’s covered comprehensively on this and the preceding page. You have said clearly you think the scenario we are in as regards Grealish is no different to those others, fine. I’m stunned you think so. I can’t add anything more.

Okay thanks, the explanation lived up to expectations.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The summer we sold Benteke and Delph we were a PL club with little or no concerns regarding FFP.

You think we’re in the mire due to FFP and not because we can’t pay our bills and are up to our neck in debt?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, blandy said:

Sure players leaving isn't new. I don't think anyone's said it is, have they? For my post you replied to I hope the clue as to why I think it's different is in these words

It's not that he's leaving, it's that he's leaving because we're financially effed. That's the first difference for me.

The second is that while I admired the quality of Ashley Young or Benteke, to me they were essentially "just very good players" who happened to be at Villa. Jack is an exceptional talent who didn't turn up at Villa by a kind of revolving market. He is here because Villa is his Club and his team. 

Another factor is that the funds won't go to buy replacement(s), they'll go towards the massive financial back hole and disappear.

Blandy, I understand the wider implications of this sale but if you put Xia aside, it's really not that heinous an act, pretty much every and any club in our position (second tier) has to sell their better players - for whatever reason, the outcome is the same.

We keep saying Jack is an exceptional talent and I agree, at times he looks a world beater but really, we've actually had very little return on our investment in him to date, save for a few great goals and performances - I'm not now saying he's shit so folks, don't twist the words here, I'm merely saying that for a guy who has been in and around the first team now for 4+ years we've really seen very little (also, all this Villa through and through talk, where was that when he was all over the front pages of the rags for taking nitrous oxide or for fighting in Malia?!)

The funds, as I understand it will plug the FFP hole, or at least help toward it which is important for the sustaining of the club, if I had a choice between selling Grealish or seeing the club fall into administration (fines, points deductions, transfer embargoes) then I know which choice I'd make.

I think emotions are obviously running high right now, people are rightly in a downward spiral of negativity following 2+ months of what feels like constant bad news, but whilst selling / having to sell Grealish is gutting, it's not beyond the realms of expectation for a club in our position (irrespective of how badly we're being run from a commercial perspective).

I am not on a crusade to get anyone to think this is all okay, it's not okay but it is where we are, let's say he goes to Spurs - they are a genuine title challenging club these days with Champions league football to boot, I think even the staunchest of Villa fans would find it hard to turn down.

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

You think we’re in the mire due to FFP and not because we can’t pay our bills and are up to our neck in debt?

I think it's a collection of factors Dave.

Even if Xia was the richest man in the world we'd need to adhere to FFP and my (uninformed) understanding of FFP is that it's not easy to circumvent by pumping millions in, it's based on revenue vs running costs fundamentally (I believe).

People are looking for scapegoats and someone to blame, I think everyone at Villa (over the past decade) has played a part in where we are today.

14 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Okay thanks, the explanation lived up to expectations.

What’s wrong with you ? What have I said to merit your original,sarcastic post and then this follow up ?

Â