The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Not many players are worth £100 mill. But for us he was priceless. How we struggled without him, despite bringing in 3 players to replace him showed that. Our whole game plan was based around him. We indulged him and we filled him with so much confidence that he could do some amazing things in that team. A truly wonderful player. 

But when we talk about buying him back thats when i think we have gone crazy. 29 in September , all of his bravery being coached out of him . A treble on his mantelpiece means his hunger might not be what it was.  3 seasons of playing strictly on the left wing not allowed to do anything off the cuff . Spending the majority of this seasons important games on the bench . All the signs of a player that has reached his peak and is now on a downturn.

We now have a team that is team first, player second. I wouldnt want to ruin that memory of how good he was , with the likelihood of him never getting close to the influence he had on us the first time. Especially at the prices and wages that it would cost. 

He broke my heart the first time . I dont want him to break my heart a second time but this time for different reasons. 

• Like 4

I find it remarkable that there hasn't been more scrutiny about the fee. He remains the most expensive British player of all time (= with Rice?) and that sort of thing used to bring massive attention. Perhaps it's a reflection of how insane transfer fees have become or that it is just pocket change to Citeh that it is barely even mentioned? 

Sometimes it feels like the media doesn't consider the fee a relevant issue or one that should be considered alongside his performances. Is it tacit acknowledgement that he wasn't worth it or that somehow when the fee was going to little ole' AVFC that it doesn't matter? I remember conversations in his first season there about his price tag, but it suddenly disappeared when he seemed to click into gear there. Now he's clearly on the downturn with Citeh, the small issue of the price is invisible. 

If you put the money back into the equation, you have to ask yourself: does he look like a £100m player? Does he exert the sort of influence that £100m should buy for any club? Does he get the media attention that comes to a £100m talisman? The answer to all three is no. And I think Jack knows it. 

15 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

But when we talk about buying him back thats when i think we have gone crazy. 29 in September , all of his bravery being coached out of him . A treble on his mantelpiece means his hunger might not be what it was.  3 seasons of playing strictly on the left wing not allowed to do anything off the cuff . Spending the majority of this seasons important games on the bench . All the signs of a player that has reached his peak and is now on a downturn.

Wearing my Claret and Blue tinted glasses, if we could get the old Grealish, on that left hand side attracting 2/3 players. That would open so much space up for Diaby / Bailey on the other side. Unfortunately that guy is gone. Regardless, he's on 300k a week, only those with over inflated commercial income can sustain that type of wage. 

33 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I find it remarkable that there hasn't been more scrutiny about the fee. He remains the most expensive British player of all time (= with Rice?) and that sort of thing used to bring massive attention. Perhaps it's a reflection of how insane transfer fees have become or that it is just pocket change to Citeh that it is barely even mentioned? 

Sometimes it feels like the media doesn't consider the fee a relevant issue or one that should be considered alongside his performances. Is it tacit acknowledgement that he wasn't worth it or that somehow when the fee was going to little ole' AVFC that it doesn't matter? I remember conversations in his first season there about his price tag, but it suddenly disappeared when he seemed to click into gear there. Now he's clearly on the downturn with Citeh, the small issue of the price is invisible. 

If you put the money back into the equation, you have to ask yourself: does he look like a £100m player? Does he exert the sort of influence that £100m should buy for any club? Does he get the media attention that comes to a £100m talisman? The answer to all three is no. And I think Jack knows it. 

Really, very few of the players in world football that have gone for over £100m have proved to be worth the money.

15 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I am people....

👀

😂

I loved him.

I assume Sherwood is sending christmas cards to Gerrard from now on, given he's successfully taken over as the worst manager we've ever had

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

I think the question is 'which 100m player looks like a 100m player?'

Does Caicedo? Does Lukaku? Did Hazard? Enzo Fernandez? Kane?

Heck, Mudryk and Antony almost cost that.

You can probably argue that in this group, maybe Kane has achieved similar heights following the big fee move. But he won nothing (and will win nothing this season).

A fee is not always a good representation of value. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

You can probably argue that in this group, maybe Kane has achieved similar heights following the big fee move. But he won nothing (and will win nothing this season).

This is such a great point: the clubs aren't stupid enough to not know this, but are so desperate for a symbol of intent (or sports washing) that they splash the cash. What a shame that such a generational talent became an ornament for the Sheikh's mantlepiece. 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

kids around the country aren't wearing their socks or their hair like KDB

Doesn't help that he looks like prime 1991 Macauley Culkin putting on aftershave in the mirror. 

An out of character Gary Powndland sticking up for Jack after him revealing in an interview his Mom asked why he gets booed at every ground.

Fans of local rivals aside, Jack (and his mom) may want to cast his mind back to the Summer fo 2021 when he was the national darling and fans of England crying out for him.

The booing began in the Community Shield with Leicester fans when he got subbed on shortly after his move to Man CIty.  The kind of transfer that many perceive to represent all that is wrong with Man City and football.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Mbappe is the only one would say was good value

11 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

An out of character Gary Powndland sticking up for Jack after him revealing in an interview his Mom asked why he gets booed at every ground.

Fans of local rivals aside, Jack (and his mom) may want to cast his mind back to the Summer fo 2021 when he was the national darling and fans of England crying out for him.

The booing began in the Community Shield with Leicester fans when he got subbed on shortly after his move to Man CIty.  The kind of transfer that many perceive to represent all that is wrong with Man City and football.

bang on - as wolves themselves would know as their midfielder signed for city last summer for £60m (?) and has 6 PL starts to his name, he has 684 PL minutes to his name this season and 180 of them were for wolves

its a **** joke and its killing football, take whatever they want when they have no realistic need for it

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

He got booed at every away ground when he played for us.

He's exactly the kind of player other fans hate. Flashy and dives a lot.

If he'd never played for Villa we'd all hate him and be booing him too

• Like 2

Some wishful thinking going on in this thread. Jack’s transfer was the rare deal that worked for all three parties and all three would do the same deal again 100 times over.

Jack will make over 150m from the deal (including the endorsements he’s since signed) and will get another mega deal no doubt when he leaves for Saudi or whichever club can afford him next and he played a key role in winning the treble.

Man city won the treble and marketed the crap out of Jack. They’ve made a lot of their outlay back in commercial deals and shirts etc.

We were desperate for the money in hindsight and had to sell or we would have had severe PSR issues. 100m was a kings ransom and allowed us to rebuild. 

Good luck to him but we probably couldn’t afford him back even if we wanted him and the reality is that there are better value deals to be done.

Edited by DakotaVilla
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Some wishful thinking going on in this thread. Jack’s transfer was the rare deal that worked for all three parties and all three would do the same deal again 100 times over.

Jack will make over 150m from the deal (including the endorsements he’s since signed) and will get another mega deal no doubt when he leaves for Saudi or whichever club can afford him next and he played a key role in winning the treble.

Man city won the treble and marketed the crap out of Jack. They’ve made a lot of their outlay back in commercial deals and shirts etc.

We were desperate for the money in hindsight and had to sell or we would have had severe PSR issues. 100m was a kings ransom and allowed us to rebuild. 

Good luck to him but we probably couldn’t afford him back even if we wanted him and the reality is that there are better value deals to be done.

Unless he changes character massively, I suspect the alcohol free Saudi league is not going to be seeing Jack. 

Probably the best player I have ever seen in a Villa shirt. He's a prick because he was consistently chasing other moves, but also sitting on the fence with us about staying so each summer became the JG show. He's also been worth the money for MC. £100m today is £20m 10 years ago. And I wouldn't want him back at Villa. Lets move on. Oh and Pep was a clearing in the woods to him doing that on the pitch.

Â