The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I don’t think people are doubting Jack’s immense talents on the pitch, how could they? The issue is, trading it in to be played in a less favourable position and have those unique talents coached out of him. Sure, there are short term gains, but in the long run, it will be interesting to see if he truly thrives or just becomes another wonderful talent to sit on bench of a club that uses its immense wealth to bully others to prove that it can. 

I've mentioned it before, but after Man City came sniffing I'm not sure that keeping Jack would have been worth it financially. He's on £370,000 a week. If he'd accepted a mere £300k a week to stay here, his wages over the five years would have been £80m (£95m if we'd matched them). So by selling him the club is £180m better off.

But more than that I think having one player on crazy wages is corrosive either to team morale or the club's wage structure, so it might even have saved us more than that. I definitely think there are a lot of silver linings here.

• Like 4

I’m a bit disappointed with the Leicester fans for not using a rendition of ‘empty seats m’lord’ seemed like it had to be sung yesterday, 

2 hours ago, villan-scott said:

I’ve held off posting about Grealish to refrain from saying something I might regret. 

I’m a father to 2 boys. A 5 year old and one who’s nearly 2. The 5 year old had his love for football awoken during the Euros. My love and support for Grealish shone through, plus getting a bloody England shirt for the first time in about 20 years with his name on. All the Grealish chatter naturally meant that he became my sons favourite. He is/was my favourite too. 

What was there not to like? Villa lad, shining on one of the biggest stages. A huge clamour for him to get more minutes from the whole nation. 

I was convinced he’d stay. Absolutely convinced. We are on an upward trajectory. The ‘project’ and ambition is getting banded about by Jack, the manager, new signings and exiting players. We are on our way back. Who better to lead us than one of our own? How could he possibly not want to?

As all this was playing out, I was still sure he’d stay! How could he not want to? The moment it only really hit home was when the notification popped up on my phone around the Purslow live address. 

This one really hurts. Not just for me, but for my son who had only just begun to love Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish. I think the hurt and betrayal comes down to knowing I was convinced he’d stay, but also because I know there won’t be another like him to come through. One of our own. Shot to super stardom, but now leaving us behind in the process. 

I only told my son about the move yesterday, I’d prepared him saying he might be leaving over the last week or so. He cried. He was gutted. The montage videos of Jack had made me well up, so I’m not surprised there was an outpouring from my 5 year old. We decided that we can still love Jack Grealish the player, but it just won’t be the same. We need to find a new hero in claret and blue too, but that just won’t feel the same either.

I do wish him well and hope he gets to win all the things he wants to win. At the same time I hope it feels empty and is tinged with regret that maybe he should’ve stuck around to know what it really should have felt like for him winning with Villa. 

Goodbye to Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish.

It's quite sad. I don't think there'll be another in my lifetime.

Now he's going to play for those same people who've been insisting for the past 3 years that he's overrated or that he holds onto the ball too long etc. They're all now going to blow smoke up his ass because he plays for City. It's all so shallow.

• Like 2

Being the " one hundred million  man"  may become a big monkey on Jack's back, unless he proves to be worth it soonish.

I believe that's a too big ask, because in addition to Jack's football abilities City paid for his marketability and a new good looking face for fans to get excited about. They believe they make the money back off-the-field.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I'm loving this "he isn't THAT great"/"he will struggle" revisionism.

Get a grip, he is a special talent and he will do very well, he is the natural de bruyne successor.

I guess FIFA 2024 cover will go to Grealish, I expect him to do that well on both competition and marketing levels.

He is a special talent but he no where near KDB level and let’s not even pretend he is. 

He is Mahrez, Silva, Torres, Foden level.  All class players but not a massive amount between them. 

It’s only one game but it did give me a reminder of how teams set up against City.

He will get no where near the time and space he gets at Villa because he will now have a bus parked in front of him every game. This will be the ultimate test for him.  No more slowing the pace down and then a quick turn to get a cross in. It has to be slick pass and moves until an opening appears.  Pep will bring this to to his game but he won’t stand out. He’ll just be another top player in a top team.  

Will be Interesting to see how he gets on.

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Being the " one hundred million  man"  may become a big monkey on Jack's back, unless he proves to be worth it soonish.

I believe that's a too big ask, because in addition to Jack's football abilities City paid for his marketability and a new good looking face for fans to get excited about. They believe they make the money back off-the-field.

Let’s hope he ditches Ross and doesn’t make headlines for the wrong reason again 

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Only because he can't rinse more money out of them.

He could easily stay and sign for a nominal salary and give something back to the team he loves and supports. He'd probably still earn more than any other player in world, bar Ronaldo, just on endorsements alone. 

He wasn't sobbing last year when he tried to force an exit. 

That was my initial thought, but because the club are so far over the wage cap, he apparently couldn't even sign for them if he was willing to play for free.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

That was my initial thought, but because the club are so far over the wage cap, he apparently couldn't even sign for them if he was willing to play for free.

Yep, they're not allowed to register new players for this season, if they let his contract expire on the 30th June and then try to resign him he would be classed as being new

They can't register aguero or Depay either hence why aguero wants out now too

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

It would be interesting to think if Dean Smith would ever take a top job at another club. What would he do if he was offered, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U or even Arsenal, an what would us fans think then?

He’d probably take it depending how well we were really doing . Sometimes it’s not being disloyal, it’s bettering yourself. 

8 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

He won’t. He’s a special talent. He’ll probably take a while to settle in tho as his playing minutes over the last 7 months have been limited. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was man of the match in no time. It’s going to help him that KDB is injured as he will get time to find his feet before being directly compared to him.

Would you say Eden Hazard was a special talent, or Coutinho?

What people aren't getting, is that, not every type of player, can necessarily excel at every sort of club/system.

City are more about very intricate and quick movement, pass and move, keeping possession.

Jack often takes too long with the ball, and yes we all know what he can do with it at his feet.

However, their game isn't centred around " give the ball to Jack " and let him do whatever he wants.

I too, have a feeling, until his game evolves, he will simply be an impact sub, to try and create a different problem/dimension for stubborn teams. 

At Aston Villa, the whole system was setup for him to succeed.

To be fair, when Mahrez first went there, for what was BIG money at the time, he wasn't starting either, and had to evolve his game.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Xela said:

Only because he can't rinse more money out of them.

He could easily stay and sign for a nominal salary and give something back to the team he loves and supports. He'd probably still earn more than any other player in world, bar Ronaldo, just on endorsements alone. 

He wasn't sobbing last year when he tried to force an exit. 

At least there was some expression of emotion from Messi.

Jack looked more upset being subbed off just before full time and 2-0 up than he was when leaving the club after 20 years. 

• Like 1

Â