The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, handsworthlion said:

Aston Villa has been a part of my family since the clubs formation, my dad was born on health field road about 200 yards up from where the club played their first ever football match... If I had the fortune and ability to play for and captain ASTON VILLA... it would make my dad cry with pride.... that’s because we BLEED Claret & Blue. I am sure there are many others on here who could tell a similar story....

I wouldn’t trade that in that opportunity for anything... and if I did, my old man would probably diss-own me. 

I saw that video of Jack Signing for ‘them’.. and it honestly made my stomach turn.. all Of his family Had travelled up there with him.. lording it around that soulless Death Star of a facility. Proud as punch.

And that is what leads me to believe that Jack, his dad, and the rest of his family  were never like me And so many of us... but I honestly believed it. More fool me.

Fast track to a trophy. When you're Villa, you bleed claret and blue. You stand by the club. Never true Villans. Because if you are... you'd die by this club. This was the chance to make the change and pronounce Villa against the big 6. Instead he spoke of his "dream" to play for Man City. Man City.... Media love it... As corrupt as Rodris offisde.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, ReasonforRevolution said:

Love it! Remember that? Give me legacy all day. I'm sorry but as a true Villa fan. I'll never accept it. Give me the £200,000 and the captaincy at Villa all day. Man City are the eneny. Human rights violting shambles of a club. He's joined the darkside.

Well if this was StarWars, City would certainly be the Empire or First Order right now lol.

I guess Jack's Vader then ay, so we need a Luke to kick his ass when we face them.

I guess it would be Cash putting the Breaks on Grealish when we face City, that will be a heck of a duel. Cash has the speed to keep up with Jack but can he be patient and not fall into Jack's traps and sudden movements??

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

He regrets it already. Doesn’t he?

Yes! He's lost so much. I honestly see Villa like a family, and I'm just some nob head who goes home and away and chats nonsense. Love this club, don't understand how you could turn on it. 

The constant discussion around whether he was worth the money is getting boring. Different players are worth different amounts to different clubs. He was absolutely worth £100mil to us and the release clause was there so thats what Man City had to pay if they wanted him. 

Could they have gotten a better player for £80mil? £60mil? Possibly, but not clearly so. But Grealish has some off-field star power that may not have been available at that price. 

Could we have replaced Jack for £60mil? No way. £80mil? Maybe, but only on the field and spread over a few players, nowhere near off of it. We've given up the exposure and potential sponsorship value that comes with having a world famous player. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

My final thoughts on the matter... that no one wanted or cares about ;)  I'm writing it down as a form of release more than anything. A cathartic rambling. Fair play if you get through it. Understand if you can't be bothered. 

Now the dust has settled, I've had a chance to reflect on what was a manic week, especially in this thread, and my final summing up of the situation and how I feel now about it. 

Obviously, I was absolutely gutted he left. A real hammer blow. Even until the last day, I thought he would stay and lead us into our new and exciting future. He was our captain. Brummie Jack, the boyhood fan and the face of the club. He was finally getting the international recognition he deserved. So to lose him, to Man City, really hurt. I'll admit, I did have a tear in my eye when I watched those videos put out by Villa and by Jack. The little kid in all the different Villa shirts, the scrawny teenager who made his debut, right up until the man he is now. An absolute wonderful footballer. A baller as the kids would say. Living the life we would all want. I genuinely thought he would be our Roy of the Rovers and be a Villa lifer. 

His desire and ambition to win honours and play Champions League football was too much of a calling and he couldn't wait for this to happen at Villa. Lets be honest, we might never get there. That isn't a dig at the owners or the management team, as they have been great, more of a comment on how difficult it is to crack the top 4 regularly and stay there. Grealish is 25, and hasn't played in Europe. His mates, like Chilwell, Mount, Shaw, Stones, etc have all done this and some have even won winners medals. Jack is more talented than those by far, so I can understand why he had his head turned, and ultimately why he left. 

He could have perhaps handled things a bit differently, with what he said last year, but i'm not going to wish him ill, or hope he gets injured, or boo him, or call him a snake, or claim he is overrated, because that just sounds a bit petty, but I know people have to come to terms with his departure in their own way. When it all settles down, I'm sure most of us will remember what he did on the pitch, in a Villa shirt. He was the best player i've ever seen in a Villa shirt and i've been a fan since the late 80's. He is a supreme footballer. He is on my Mount Rushmore of Villa players with Platt, McGrath and Yorke. 

He wasn't perfect as a person, who is? He's done a few questionable things in his personal life but none of us are saints and I did stupid things in my 20's as well. Its worth mentioning that he also did a huge amount for sick kids and fans at Villa. A lot of that goes unmentioned and is done away from the spotlight, but he's always been very good at this and dedicated a lot of time to it. He knew full well that young fans worshipped him. So to hear some fans say he isn't really a fan, doesn't really care or its all a PR act, kind of disappoints me, as its clearly untrue. He undoubtedly is a huge Villa fan, and always will be, regardless of who he plays for. 

I'm sure he will be a huge success at Man City and wins lots of honours. He could well go on to Beckham-esque levels of fame and success, and I wouldn't begrudge him that. I do know one thing for sure though - the City fans won't love him like we did here. They won't sing his name like the Holte End did. I guess that is the pay-off though. However, he's gone now and I genuinely think we'll be a better and more rounded team having invested the money wisely and over a few players. £100m. Say it out loud. It is an insane amount of money. Villa have handled the situation really well in my opinion and deserve a huge amount of credit in how the sale was done and how they reacted to it. That shows we have the right people running the club and a very bright future indeed. 

Thanks for the memories Jack, but you're a City player now and my loyalty lies solely with the boys in claret and blue. I'll always respect and remember your contribution to Villa though. 

UTV

Perfectly put and an excellent summation of the situation that reflects my feelings on the matter as well.

The only thing I'll add and what is the most disappointing thing for me, is that it's such an exciting time for the club, where we're on the up, and making all the right moves. It's just such a shame that this is the moment that Jack picks to leave. It's the whole "missed opportunity" idea that bugs me, and the idea of "what could have been" with Jack sticking around.

Anyway, what's done is done, so it's up to the club now to show Jack what he's missed out on by not sticking with his boyhood club (and I still genuinely believe that Villa are his club, despite what other fans think) by continuing to build on last season and really gunning for those European spots.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

He regrets it already. Doesn’t he?

Do you know what? I nearly died during the pandemic.. I went into a DKA. Embarrassing, but I'll speak about it. Turns out I've got Type 1 diabetes. When I was in A and E, I begged to be able to watch Villa against Sheff Utd. But I was half gone. Nearly dead. I've held a season ticket since 1992. The love and admiration is deep. We've all been through tough times, Jack had the opportunity to prove something. He didn't. He's just another isn't he?|

Edited by ReasonforRevolution
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ReasonforRevolution said:
Do you know the beauty of being a Villa fan? We always fight back. I believe Aston Villa is the best football club in the world. We've lost our captain and I've seen people today turn up in their thousands to get behind the team for a training session. Losing Jack was difficult, but chatting to people was cathartic. We're better than Man City. I'll never forgive Jack for that.

"Villa have amazing support. If you hung 11 Villa shirts on a washing line five thousand fans would turn up to watch them!" Tommy Docherty

Im ready to run through a brick ******* wall

3 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Im ready to run through a brick ******* wall

I'll never accept Jack turning on this club. Aston Villa is the most beautiful club in the world. To wear the lion on your heart is worth more than 5 Champions League medals. Best club in the world. I cried today watching people turn up in their thousand. It was an act of solitude. We're a family.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

For some reason I’m feeling good that we sold him. 

he was meh after he came back from injury. He was meh for England and he was meh today. 

maybe we got the better end of this deal 

Well we now know that was probably partially because he wanted out and was off anyway.

" A tough few months " hey?

Jack was the last sacred blossom. He was me and you.. Leeds, West Ham, the lot. I'm a musician, this is Little Mix vs Velvet Underground. This transfer is the death of football. If it can happen to him, It'll happen to anyone. We're a bigger club than City. We're a bigger club than Chelsea Just a shame Jack didn't see that. I'd die for Villa. Shame Jack doesn't see Villa is worth more than anything. The admiration of AVFC is worth more than a trinket.

Edited by ReasonforRevolution

2 hours ago, handsworthlion said:

Aston Villa has been a part of my family since the clubs formation, my dad was born on health field road about 200 yards up from where the club played their first ever football match... If I had the fortune and ability to play for and captain ASTON VILLA... it would make my dad cry with pride.... that’s because we BLEED Claret & Blue. I am sure there are many others on here who could tell a similar story....

I wouldn’t trade that in that opportunity for anything... and if I did, my old man would probably diss-own me. 

I saw that video of Jack Signing for ‘them’.. and it honestly made my stomach turn.. all Of his family Had travelled up there with him.. lording it around that soulless Death Star of a facility. Proud as punch.

And that is what leads me to believe that Jack, his dad, and the rest of his family  were never like me And so many of us... but I honestly believed it. More fool me.

For a minute there I read it as your dad was born and watched the first Villa match. I was thinking, how bloody old is this guy 🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Tbh he looked out of his depth. I think he’ll flop. 

He won’t. He’s a special talent. He’ll probably take a while to settle in tho as his playing minutes over the last 7 months have been limited. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was man of the match in no time. It’s going to help him that KDB is injured as he will get time to find his feet before being directly compared to him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Here, Jack could do whatever he liked, and when you think about it, it probably wasn't good for us in the long run.

Players will be on an equal footing, with no superiority/inferiority complex.

Totally agree with this. I suspect a few of the players not in his little clique might agree too. 

• Like 2

Â