The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

32 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I was in Garry Cook's office for a meeting while they were in the process of negotiating the fee for Joleon Lescott from Everton.

I was told that, as it was then all over the papers that City wanted him, the most important thing was to get him.  The owners didn't care if they were criticised for over-paying and were only concerned about losing face by not signing him.  Whatever the fee needed to be, that's what they'd pay.

It was absolutely frightening to hear back then, and nothing has happened since to suggest that standpoint has changed.

In many ways it helps clubs us and Everton rebuild so it’s not a completely bad thing. I think it’s a really good move for us.

He still created a couple of chances though. 

I believe had he stayed with us we would have got close to Champions League this season or next. 

I'll always love him though the prick. The first British £100m player (should have been £200m) and he came from OUR academy. After McGrath he's the only player I've taken to heart. 

rocket polisher.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I believe had he stayed with us we would have got close to Champions League this season or next. 

I'll always love him though the prick. The first British £100m player (should have been £200m) and he came from OUR academy. After McGrath he's the only player I've taken to heart. 

rocket polisher.

And he always well as he did for us. But we made out he was that player that would pick up the ball and take everyone on and score. 100m is crazy money for him in my opinion and I’ve said that all along. 

7 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

rocket polisher.

Well we’re stronger now so if we could do It with him we can do it without him. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

My final thoughts on the matter... that no one wanted or cares about ;)  I'm writing it down as a form of release more than anything. A cathartic rambling. Fair play if you get through it. Understand if you can't be bothered. 

Now the dust has settled, I've had a chance to reflect on what was a manic week, especially in this thread, and my final summing up of the situation and how I feel now about it. 

Obviously, I was absolutely gutted he left. A real hammer blow. Even until the last day, I thought he would stay and lead us into our new and exciting future. He was our captain. Brummie Jack, the boyhood fan and the face of the club. He was finally getting the international recognition he deserved. So to lose him, to Man City, really hurt. I'll admit, I did have a tear in my eye when I watched those videos put out by Villa and by Jack (or his PR team). The little kid in all the different Villa shirts, the scrawny teenager who made his debut, right up until the man he is now. An absolute wonderful footballer. A baller as the kids would say. Living the life we would all want. I genuinely thought he would be our Roy of the Rovers and be a Villa lifer. 

His desire and ambition to win honours and play Champions League football was too much of a calling and he couldn't wait for this to happen at Villa. Lets be honest, we might never get there. That isn't a dig at the owners or the management team, as they have been great, more of a comment on how difficult it is to crack the top 4 regularly and stay there. Grealish is 25, and hasn't played in Europe. His mates, like Chilwell, Mount, Shaw, Stones, etc have all done this and some have even won winners medals. Jack is more talented than those by far, so I can understand why he had his head turned, and ultimately why he left. 

He could have perhaps handled things a bit differently, with what he said last year, but i'm not going to wish him ill, or hope he gets injured, or boo him, or call him a snake, or claim he is overrated, because that just sounds a bit petty, but I know people have to come to terms with his departure in their own way. When it all settles down, I'm sure most of us will remember what he did on the pitch, in a Villa shirt. He was the best player i've ever seen in a Villa shirt and i've been a fan since the late 80's. He is a supreme footballer. He is on my Mount Rushmore of Villa players with Platt, McGrath and Yorke. 

He wasn't perfect as a person, who is? He's done a few questionable things in his personal life but none of us are saints and I did stupid things in my 20's as well. Its worth mentioning that he also did a huge amount for sick kids and fans at Villa. A lot of that goes unmentioned and is done away from the spotlight, but he's always been very good at this and dedicated a lot of time to it. He knew full well that young fans worshipped him. So to hear some fans say he isn't really a fan, doesn't really care or its all a PR act, kind of disappoints me, as its clearly untrue. He undoubtedly is a huge Villa fan, and always will be, regardless of who he plays for. 

I'm sure he will be a huge success at Man City and wins lots of honours. He could well go on to Beckham-esque levels of fame and success, and I wouldn't begrudge him that. I do know one thing for sure though - the City fans won't love him like we did here. They won't sing his name like the Holte End did. I guess that is the pay-off though. However, he's gone now and I genuinely think we'll be a better and more rounded team having invested the money wisely and over a few players. £100m. Say it out loud. It is an insane amount of money. Villa have handled the situation really well in my opinion and deserve a huge amount of credit in how the sale was done and how they reacted to it. That shows we have the right people running the club and a very bright future indeed. 

Thanks for the memories Jack, but you're a City player now and my loyalty lies solely with the boys in claret and blue. I'll always respect and remember your contribution to Villa though. 

UTV

Very well put and agree with it all, but I must admit I still would be happy to see him fail...

• Like 1

My final thoughts on Grealish is that I no longer care about Grealish now he doesn't wear claret and blue. Succeed or fail I care not a jot. Not that anybody was asking what I thought but it's a forum and it's for opinions.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

My final thoughts on the matter... that no one wanted or cares about ;)  I'm writing it down as a form of release more than anything. A cathartic rambling. Fair play if you get through it. Understand if you can't be bothered. 

Now the dust has settled, I've had a chance to reflect on what was a manic week, especially in this thread, and my final summing up of the situation and how I feel now about it. 

Obviously, I was absolutely gutted he left. A real hammer blow. Even until the last day, I thought he would stay and lead us into our new and exciting future. He was our captain. Brummie Jack, the boyhood fan and the face of the club. He was finally getting the international recognition he deserved. So to lose him, to Man City, really hurt. I'll admit, I did have a tear in my eye when I watched those videos put out by Villa and by Jack. The little kid in all the different Villa shirts, the scrawny teenager who made his debut, right up until the man he is now. An absolute wonderful footballer. A baller as the kids would say. Living the life we would all want. I genuinely thought he would be our Roy of the Rovers and be a Villa lifer. 

His desire and ambition to win honours and play Champions League football was too much of a calling and he couldn't wait for this to happen at Villa. Lets be honest, we might never get there. That isn't a dig at the owners or the management team, as they have been great, more of a comment on how difficult it is to crack the top 4 regularly and stay there. Grealish is 25, and hasn't played in Europe. His mates, like Chilwell, Mount, Shaw, Stones, etc have all done this and some have even won winners medals. Jack is more talented than those by far, so I can understand why he had his head turned, and ultimately why he left. 

He could have perhaps handled things a bit differently, with what he said last year, but i'm not going to wish him ill, or hope he gets injured, or boo him, or call him a snake, or claim he is overrated, because that just sounds a bit petty, but I know people have to come to terms with his departure in their own way. When it all settles down, I'm sure most of us will remember what he did on the pitch, in a Villa shirt. He was the best player i've ever seen in a Villa shirt and i've been a fan since the late 80's. He is a supreme footballer. He is on my Mount Rushmore of Villa players with Platt, McGrath and Yorke. 

He wasn't perfect as a person, who is? He's done a few questionable things in his personal life but none of us are saints and I did stupid things in my 20's as well. Its worth mentioning that he also did a huge amount for sick kids and fans at Villa. A lot of that goes unmentioned and is done away from the spotlight, but he's always been very good at this and dedicated a lot of time to it. He knew full well that young fans worshipped him. So to hear some fans say he isn't really a fan, doesn't really care or its all a PR act, kind of disappoints me, as its clearly untrue. He undoubtedly is a huge Villa fan, and always will be, regardless of who he plays for. 

I'm sure he will be a huge success at Man City and wins lots of honours. He could well go on to Beckham-esque levels of fame and success, and I wouldn't begrudge him that. I do know one thing for sure though - the City fans won't love him like we did here. They won't sing his name like the Holte End did. I guess that is the pay-off though. However, he's gone now and I genuinely think we'll be a better and more rounded team having invested the money wisely and over a few players. £100m. Say it out loud. It is an insane amount of money. Villa have handled the situation really well in my opinion and deserve a huge amount of credit in how the sale was done and how they reacted to it. That shows we have the right people running the club and a very bright future indeed. 

Thanks for the memories Jack, but you're a City player now and my loyalty lies solely with the boys in claret and blue. I'll always respect and remember your contribution to Villa though. 

UTV

Spot on mate.  Thanks for also saving me a post.  

Love the emphasis on the 100m. Too many of our fans act like it’s a trivial amount. Hopefully that changes once they see Bailey, Beundia and Ings in action. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

City player now, ditched his club for Silverware and that's it choice but he and his club F**ked up against Leicester and I'm over the moon to be fair.

Now imagine if City screw up every trophy chance this coming season, doubt will creep into many heads not just Jack's.

At some point every team goes through a decline and you put so many expensive players together and all sorts of bad can happen, to much of the big head rubbish going on.

I for one know Jack made the wrong decision, many of us fans do but he now has to live with that choice.

I'm just looking forward to our season, not Jack's or City's, our season is important and how we do in the upcoming season without Jack will define this club and it's future. No long a one man army, now we are 11..

• Like 2

I just hope someone other than the so called big six or should I say 5 as Farcenal don't count anymore, wins the league title.

It won't be us, so I'd love an outsider to woop the league, Leicester I do not mind one bit being a league winner, just anyone apart fromArsenal, City,UTD,Chelsea, Pool or spurs.

If I couldn't win it with Villa then I wouldn't want to win it. Can't quite get my head around that our 'boy' wants to help the club that's ruining football to ruin it even more.

Sad. I've watched us lose all out best players but this is a real gut punch He was meant to be us. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ReasonforRevolution said:
It hurts on so many levels. We'd go over to Burton on a random Tuesday night and watch Jack play to nobody. We knew he was going to be a superstar. Chatting to his Dad after friendly games. Jack was like us, except with amazing footballing talent.
Of course, I'm thankful for the memories and what he did while wearing claret and blue. I've never seen a better player in a Villa shirt. And I understand it's a short career.

But what he could've achieved at Villa is something much more than trinkets at City. The opportunity of immortality at a football club comes around once every 'blue moon' (excuse the pun). Jack had this at his fingertips with Villa. Instead, he chose this path. A well-trodden path. He is not a Villa fan.

It's not only a sucker punch to Villa fans, but to every true football fan. This was a chance to fight back against the 'Big 6'. An opportunity to turn the tide. The media celebrate like ostriches with their head in the sand, forgetting what happened a few months prior. A club that tried to monopolize sport.

I think it symbolizes how out of touch football has become. The haves and have not. I thought Jack was the one to break the chain. He wasn't. I thank him for the memories, but essentially this is a player that has said he doesn't want to play for Villa. So right now I'm taking that at face value. Dean Smith got us promoted... include Neil Taylor, Jed Steer, Elmo, Jedinak, McGinn, Abraham, Whelen many more. Don't buy into the rehtoric one man got us promoted.

•  

Foden might be a one club man…

Just now, ReasonforRevolution said:
It hurts on so many levels. We'd go over to Burton on a random Tuesday night and watch Jack play to nobody. We knew he was going to be a superstar. Chatting to his Dad after friendly games. Jack was like us, except with amazing footballing talent.
Of course, I'm thankful for the memories and what he did while wearing claret and blue. I've never seen a better player in a Villa shirt. And I understand it's a short career.

But what he could've achieved at Villa is something much more than trinkets at City. The opportunity of immortality at a football club comes around once every 'blue moon' (excuse the pun). Jack had this at his fingertips with Villa. Instead, he chose this path. A well-trodden path. He is not a Villa fan.

It's not only a sucker punch to Villa fans, but to every true football fan. This was a chance to fight back against the 'Big 6'. An opportunity to turn the tide. The media celebrate like ostriches with their head in the sand, forgetting what happened a few months prior. A club that tried to monopolize sport.

I think it symbolizes how out of touch football has become. The haves and have not. I thought Jack was the one to break the chain. He wasn't. I thank him for the memories, but essentially this is a player that has said he doesn't want to play for Villa. So right now I'm taking that at face value. Dean Smith got us promoted... include Neil Taylor, Jed Steer, Elmo, Jedinak, McGinn, Abraham, Whelen many more. Don't buy into the rehtoric one man got us promoted.

•  

Sure I understand it's unbelievable him go ping but he has gone, he made his choice let's kick on without him. Maybe for some reason our Club and those in charge knew something we didn't. I mean why would Jack sign a 5 year contract last year to run off the next year, now whether they knew he's going to have a shorter career or Jack just wanted to give his club a final gift of 100 mills, what's done is done.

We won't every truly know why he left other than the story that Jack wants Silverware, but I think there's actually something more in the details that will never be told to us fans, something like the above.

Either way he's gone, I shall be happy for where he aided Villa getting back to the prem, I won't however forgive his decision to bail on the Owners plan, let's let this darn thread die now.

9 minutes ago, handsworthlion said:

Honestly could not have put it better myself mate..so I wont. 

but I remember that rainy night in Burton, we knew he was special. It never even crossed my mind that one day, he would effectively utter those painful words...

‘I don’t want to play for Aston Villa anymore’. 

We we’re certain he was different, one of us. He wasn’t. End of story.

From your old mate in the Upper North. 😉

Love it! Remember that? Give me legacy all day. I'm sorry but as a true Villa fan. I'll never accept it. Give me the £200,000 and the captaincy at Villa all day. Man City are the eneny. Human rights violting shambles of a club. He's joined the darkside.

• Like 1

It's okay 25 mins of play and already has some City fans slating him. He put out this tweet that he was honoured to play for them and apologised about his cameo, to me it's all BullS**t that he says now.

I could never trust a word he says again.

I would never of moved from Villa for anything, what a dream job and pleasure it would of been for any of us fans and he gave it all up just like that.

I believe Bailey, Buendia, Ings and Ashley and hopefully one or two more new signings will fill that void left by Jack easy done.

Â