The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

definitely this

opposition fans spouting stuff like "you just know he's going to dive every game"

yep, you know it, i know it, every fan on social media knows it, jack knows it, the opposition player knows it, the management knows it, the ref knows it...he's going to get the ball, he's going to turn to shield it putting his body between the defender and the ball meaning that the defender cant possibly win it but the defender is going to push him in the back or throw a leg in and he's going to go down...and yet the opposition player still doesn't have the football intelligence to not do it

best recent example is the brighton one where lamptey got his 2nd yellow and sent off, causing uproar at the "dive" its not a dive, nowhere near a dive, he's played for it for sure but dont be angry at grealish, be angry at lamptey for not having the intelligence and going for a ball that he has absolutely no chance of winning, he cannot get a touch of the ball its impossible with the body movement that grealish makes and the fact that he gets there first (which he seemingly always does)

the vast majority of his fouls are simply because he is a better football, hes quicker and smarter

Couldn't agree any more with this. I'd also add that it seems to take double the number of fouls on Grealish for a player to get booked. Anybody who has been sent off for two yellow cards against us could have been booked at least four times in the game. 

I genuinely think referees are reluctant to book players against us because of the number of fouls which are going to be committed in the game. Its similar to Zaha at Palace and Hazard when he was at Chelsea. If the ref actually carded players when they deserved to be then they wouldn't be able to foul Grealish as often. This would solve other team's issues with him spending half of the game on the floor.

• Like 1

Warning: this post is full of lines that can be quoted with Kenneth Williams gifs.

The reason Jack gets fouled so much is because of how good his ball control is. He is so skilled with the ball that he constantly keeps it at such a short distance between himself and the defender. I don’t think he goes down easily to win the free kick. There are many times he has every right to go down but stays on his feet because he sees the advantage if he stays on his feet. It’s not like he’s going down without any contact, but if there’s no advantage for him to stay on his feet then he won’t because the ref won’t give the foul if he doesn’t go down.

Anyways, why are we talking like he’s Tom Daley? Yes, the reaction was slightly delayed, but he did get clearly raked across the knee studs up. Imagine how Bruno Fernandes would have reacted to that, or to Haller’s stomp on Mings.

11 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Am I seeing this right? A leeds fan posting videos of Jack Grealish "diving" after actual contact?

O really? Does Bamford getting El Ghazi sent off by diving come to mind at all? Short memory, perhaps? 

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Jack has never, and I'm confident in saying, will never do anything as bad as Bamford or Ayling. 

The fact Leeds fans can't see this, shows how stupid they are. 

• Like 1

To be honest, if Jack did play for anyone else I'd probably dislike him.  I'd admire his talent, I'd be jealous that he doesn't play for us but I'd think he is a diver and a bell-end for his driving offences.  The comparison is that I don't like Cristiano Ronaldo or Bruno Fernandes very much.  I suspect most people on here would feel the same way.  As a Villa fan though he is an absolute hero for staying at the club and driving us forward at each stage of our improvement and I know he does a lot of good stuff off the field to make up for the mistakes he has made.  I'm not sure why fans bother with reading and posting on other fans' forums, I feel sad enough for having thousands of posts on this one!

• Like 2

I just want to point this out because I think it is crazy. Jack has only been expected to score 2.8 goals so far this season. He is currently at 5. But even that expected goals per 90 is the same as hazard was at in his final season and Chelsea and Jack is also doing really well in the assist category as well. 

6 hours ago, kidlewis said:

How many players have been sent off for fouling Jack? I cannot remember anyone off the top of my head. Yes people get booked, but the fouls he obtains are rarely sending off offences. That said he has received a few tackles for yellow which iMO should be red. Pretty sure Leeds clattered him early on which should have been a red. 

Ironically Cooper should have been sent off for his tackle on him at Elland Road 2 years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Jack has never, and I'm confident in saying, will never do anything as bad as Bamford or Ayling. 

The fact Leeds fans can't see this, shows how stupid they are. 

The one against Palace (when we were winning) was pretty bad. Contact from the defender, sure, but in no way did it affect his balance and he threw himself on the floor. 

Kevin Friend's joke of a decision the other way when we lost more than made up for it though. 

TBH I feel a bit uncomfortable watching Jack sometimes. A lot of the challenges are genuine fouls, but a lot of them are bought. He has mastered this technique of throwing his legs into the opposition players legs and winning the free kick.
He does it a lot, every game.

Then there’s the play acting like when Fournels tapped his knee.

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, Genie said:

TBH I feel a bit uncomfortable watching Jack sometimes. A lot of the challenges are genuine fouls, but a lot of them are bought. He has mastered this technique of throwing his legs into the opposition players legs and winning the free kick. 
He does it a lot, every game.

It’s a great skill, if he didn’t do that and the opposition were winning the ball all those times we’d be cooked.

6 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

Couldn't agree any more with this. I'd also add that it seems to take double the number of fouls on Grealish for a player to get booked. Anybody who has been sent off for two yellow cards against us could have been booked at least four times in the game. 

I genuinely think referees are reluctant to book players against us because of the number of fouls which are going to be committed in the game. Its similar to Zaha at Palace and Hazard when he was at Chelsea. If the ref actually carded players when they deserved to be then they wouldn't be able to foul Grealish as often. This would solve other team's issues with him spending half of the game on the floor.

I was astonished at the constant fouling by West Ham. Was constantly expecting one of their players to be booked for persistent fouling but he just let it go on.  In the end he just stopped blowing for half the fouls at all like he was embarrassed about the number kf times he was blowing the whistle. 

6 hours ago, a-k said:

Warning: this post is full of lines that can be quoted with Kenneth Williams gifs.

The reason Jack gets fouled so much is because of how good his ball control is. He is so skilled with the ball that he constantly keeps it at such a short distance between himself and the defender. I don’t think he goes down easily to win the free kick. There are many times he has every right to go down but stays on his feet because he sees the advantage if he stays on his feet. It’s not like he’s going down without any contact, but if there’s no advantage for him to stay on his feet then he won’t because the ref won’t give the foul if he doesn’t go down.

Anyways, why are we talking like he’s Tom Daley? Yes, the reaction was slightly delayed, but he did get clearly raked across the knee studs up. Imagine how Bruno Fernandes would have reacted to that, or to Haller’s stomp on Mings.

tumblr_oweuasWb5E1qf9csoo1_400.gif

• Like 2

Was watching a Milan game from the late 00's, where Pirlo must have been in his late 20's/early 30's and it struck me how he used to play at that stage of his career. It looked very similar to how Jack would probably play if he played as a deep lying playmaker. He can probably get a lot more longevity out of his career if he moves back into that position if and when his legs ever start to go. And he'd be **** brilliant at it. I imagine if he stays at Villa til he's like 35, he'll undoubtedly be the club's greatest ever player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

The one against Palace (when we were winning) was pretty bad. Contact from the defender, sure, but in no way did it affect his balance and he threw himself on the floor. 

Kevin Friend's joke of a decision the other way when we lost more than made up for it though. 

I think he lost his footing because he was anticipating force from his leg to push him off into a run. He didn't they that so he started falling and he decided to make the most of it. 

I could write pages on the superlatives of this kid....He is a wonderful artist.

but lets just switch focus for a minute.....Rarely have i seen a player of ours take so much stick, probably Andy Gray, that is the sort of company he is in for the battle, Andy was fearless.....and so is Jack.

He comes off the park as if he just left the battle field at Agincourt, his drive, his will and his endeavour is a sight to behold......He never switches off from looking for openings and never shy's away from flying boots....he is a battle hardened wizard

IMO he rarely dives, just helps the Ref make the right decision.....He draws fouls like Maradona & George Best, mostly legitimate.....I am not saying he is as good as them, yet.....but that is the level of attention he gets from would be assassins....they have to, there is no other way to stop him, other than fouling.

I have not got words to praise this kid for his Bravery, a true Celt in his makeup.....A William Wallace on the park, I only wish it rubbed off more on the others more.

We can all marvel at his undoubted talent, take some time out to focus on the true warrior he is.

He makes me feel so proud, every time I watch him play.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Ironically Cooper should have been sent off for his tackle on him at Elland Road 2 years ago.

And the Leeds fans made a whole compilation about it and marked it as a "dive". You couldn't make it up 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, weedman said:

And the Leeds fans made a whole compilation about it and marked it as a "dive". You couldn't make it up 

3:52. He absolutely clatters Jack's shin with his knee. A little higher and he could have broken his leg I'd imagine. Leeds fans at the game were braying all game about him diving. Dumb words removed.

Â