The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

2 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

I feel like he will stay if we avoid relegation. 

Seems like the type of guy who rather play every single game and be the star man. 

Bit like Le tissier at southhampton.  

Who wouldn't thought to be fair. Personally I'd take playing football every single weekend over the alternative. Fair enough a move to Man City will give you more money and better team mates. You will play FAR less football, you won't be captain, but you'll play teams like Brugge, Olympiakos, Real Madrid if you're lucky 4-5 times a season. You'll be in a squad that wins trophies, but you'll never be the man lifting it, nor will you be a legend there. 

I'd take legend status, first team place, captaincy and multi millions over just another player, squad status, mega millions and better team mates. Stay with Villa like Le Tissier did you are remembered for eternity. Leave for City and you're another Barry or Milner. A brief sentence in the club's history. 

But that's my opinion. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Who wouldn't thought to be fair. Personally I'd take playing football every single weekend over the alternative. Fair enough a move to Man City will give you more money and better team mates. You will play FAR less football, you won't be captain, but you'll play teams like Brugge, Olympiakos, Real Madrid if you're lucky 4-5 times a season. You'll be in a squad that wins trophies, but you'll never be the man lifting it, nor will you be a legend there. 

I'd take legend status, first team place, captaincy and multi millions over just another player, squad status, mega millions and better team mates. Stay with Villa like Le Tissier did you are remembered for eternity. Leave for City and you're another Barry or Milner. A brief sentence in the club's history. 

But that's my opinion. 

I 100% agree with this but it seems not many footballers do. 

Most  of them follow the money which is a shame. 

Rather be a legend than a footnote

56 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Pretty strong overreaction here. Similar to when Hourihane made his comments. I don't get the difficulty in realising that if Jack gets the chance to go to City or United that it'd be a good move for his career.

Gabby probably should have left himself when the likes of Arsenal were showing interest so he's pretty well placed to comment.

I understand completely that he may wish to move on. He’s a professional footballer and has shown loyalty. However ex players and current ones for that matter shouldn’t be encouraging him to leave. They should show some loyalty, especially those that are supposedly fans. At least keep their mouths shut  

I recall the Arsenal rumours but don’t think they were anything but rumours. I also recall Agbonlahor saying he was rarely approached by other clubs because they knew he would never leave. 

When/if Grealish leaves I won’t hold it against him, but once he’s gone I couldn’t care less about him. He’ll just be an opposition player. 

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Grealish moving to city or utd, isn't like delph. He would be a starter at United and would play plenty at City too I think

I don't think he would who are united dropping from their midfield ? Pogba, Fernandes don't think they can play all 3 and have a balanced team.

Same with City who are they dropping ? They also already have Foden in a similiar mould. 

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Tbf, Agbonlahor probably regrets not leaving us when he had the opportunity and when he was in that position. It makes sense why he'd tell Jack to do the same.

I appreciate the honesty, tbh.

I regret Agbonlahor not leaving us. I think he left us years ago but just kept taking his wages anyway. 

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

Grealish moving to city or utd, isn't like delph. He would be a starter at United and would play plenty at City too I think

Nobody has said it's anything like Delph either. If anything it's more like Barry. And Barry will be a footnote in this club's history. He could have been far more, but he preferred to have £50 million over £30 million.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Nobody has said it's anything like Delph either. If anything it's more like Barry. And Barry will be a footnote in this club's history. He could have been far more, but he preferred to have £50 million over £30 million.

Barry also won the Premier League and FA Cup with Man City, but isn’t a local fan like Grealish

I think when you get a certain amount of wealth things like trophies and playing in the Champions League become more important.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Barry also won the Premier League and FA Cup with Man City, but isn’t a local fan like Grealish

I think when you get a certain amount of wealth things like trophies and playing in the Champions League become more important.

Yeah. Goes without saying being in the squad of a top 4 clubs will mean you've been in a club that's won trophies. Maybe if you're lucky you even played a part in it, like Barry or Milner. But it doesn't change the point I was making. But ultimately it just comes down to what's important to you. Is it money and the trophy list on your wikipedia page or is football about something more? 

To me legend status would be worth more than all of that. Money and trophies won't miss you when you're retired and dead. Money and trophies won't make people remember your family name. It's remembered cause what you did, for good or bad. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yeah. Goes without saying being in the squad of a top 4 clubs will mean you've been in a club that's won trophies. Maybe if you're lucky you even played a part in it, like Barry or Milner. But it doesn't change the point I was making. But ultimately it just comes down to what's important to you. Is it money and the trophy list on your wikipedia page or is football about something more? 

To me legend status would be worth more than all of that. Money and trophies won't miss you when you're retired and dead. 

I think for 95% of players it’s about playing at the highest level (Champions League) and having trophies and medals on your wall (I doubt many care about Wikipedia).

If you are playing for a side in the CL then the domestic medals and money will come naturally (unless it’s Spurs :lol: )

It will be a wrench to leave your boyhood club but to pass up a chance to play at the highest level could haunt him forever.

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

To me legend status would be worth more than all of that. Money and trophies won't miss you when you're retired and dead. Money and trophies won't make people remember your family name. It's remembered cause what you did, for good or bad. 

I think that's a bit idealistic. Most people would love both, but in a short career, spending a few years at a big club to win titles is such a rare opportunity for many players. They can always come back. If we were a year or two down the development lin and knocking on the door of top 7 now, I think he'd stay though

He's already at the highest level though. The very best teams in the CL already are present in the PL. Ofc. if we fall out of the PL that's another matter. 

I just can't recognise myself in that tbh. I know it's a stupid comparison, but when I was a young man I went from my local team to a regional one that dysoned all the best talents. With the regional club, we actually won our class in the country, but it means very little to me compared to the player of the year award I got coming back to my old local club, after I realised I would never be a professional. 

There's many way to measure success, and personally my internal score card, like loyalty and what's my core beliefs and soul (so to speak), is something I hold far higher than any medals or trophies that I can point to.

Cheesy digression aside, I'm sure most footballers can relate to football being about more than medals and trophies. It's much more than that. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

I  get the feeling from the post match interview that he's been tapped up. If so, they better have the money we would want for him, or he stays where he is. If it is the club I suspect, they have plenty of money so should not try to take our owners for fools. Probably they thought we would be going down and there would have to be a fire sale, hopefully they will be disappointed on both counts.  

I would still like to think, that if we show that we are going to spend in the window, he would want to give it another season in the PL with us. If not, he had best have a word with his prospective new club, so that they are aware they will need to pay top dollar. 

• Like 2

He'll go and it could be the best for all parties concerned provided we get an enormous fee and we spend the money sensibly on improving the team. Southampton are a model of how to do it right and make a better all round side. Losing your best players now and again is a fact of life for all but a handful of clubs in the world. It's what you do with the cash that counts. 

I wouldn't begrudge him the move either. Put simply, he can do better than us at the moment. He'd be well into double figures for assists if he'd had some half-competent players around him this season. The El Ghazi and Davis misses merely underlined that.

Time to look forward and not shed tears. I just hope Suso is not around to decide who we buy 😒

FWIW, I think he will go and I think its been on the cards for a while. BUT, and I can't stress this enough, as fans we should not be bitter or begrudge him the opportunity to play at a higher level and win trophies. He has been incredibly loyal, stuck with us through the hard times, and stepped up and done his best to pull us out of that. He has given us so so much more than modern players do. Incredible moments to remember. The excitement of a promising young player breaking into the team, a player who would get bums off seats every time he got the ball, a derby winner and literally embarrassing the entire club and fan base with how he reacted to 'that' punch incident, playoff celebrations. I know he has had some off field incidents too, I'm not excusing that. But he cares deeply about this club and that's obvious for all to see. We all know he should be in that England team and we all know he is good enough to win trophies. Could you imagine what a team who was organised at set pieces could do with that amount of frees he wins?! they would probably add 10 goals a season and create a tonne more of chances. That's huge for a team like United who are playing in Europe etc. I would not like to see a player like him not be successful. Of course I would like to see him be successful with the Villa but we are some way off of that yet. 

Now on the flip side (and I know I'm contradicting myself here!), I do also think there is a slim chance we can keep him. Being a boyhood villa fan with family connections to the club is not to be underrated. The manager is a villa fan and that will resonate with him too. The fans love him. He is captain. The team has hit a purple patch and will hopefully get through an incredibly tough patch and that is very promising and shows we can compete higher up the table. The club will need to show ambition and probably have a good discussion with him. I expect NSWE to sit down with him and outline plans etc. So all that could sway his mind, but as I said above, I wouldn't begrudge him anything. He has already given us so much. 

Even if we stay up we are not going be challenging for championship league places and thats his next step as well as international football. Good footballers need to be playing at the very highest level, anything less and he would be selling himself short. Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all. 

Â