Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Actually disagree with this though. I think she's an immense talent and some of her work in the series has been absolutely top notch.

It's the bits when she's getting emotional and she puts on this high pitched voice that grates me. Other than that she's been decent

His Dark Materials seems to have really divided opinion.

Going against the grain on here a bit but after a really promising first episode (some issues with the casting of McAvoy and Wilson aside), it’s got progressively worse with each episode IMO to the point where I now think that it’s actually pretty bad. 

Maybe I’m not viewing it objectively as I’m a big fan of the books but there’s a lot that I really don’t like. I think the major change to the plot is pretty catastrophic and some of the acting is ropey, too.

It’s pretty much the opposite of my opinion of Watchmen. I’ve never read the graphic novel and didn’t think the first couple of episodes were up to much. But it got progressively better with each one to the point where I ultimately thought it was excellent.

Watched 2 episodes of the witcher, its OK, solid 7/10, cavill is fine, violence is good, I can see where the reviews are coming from with what the **** is going on, it deep ends you and throws places names and various bits of lore without a care

Also think geralt so far has a bit of resemblance to the mandalorian in that he's travelling round, loner outcast bounty hunter type "hero" building the world by showing you it, hopefully unlike the mandalorian it tightens up after a few episodes of new places 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've enjoyed it very much.

Big fan of the books so was eager for someone to get it right.

It's not perfect by any means though. I think parts of it are very cheesy which is always a bug bear of mine. Particularly stuff around the gyptians. I'd rather it was a bit darker.

I also don't think they're doing a very good job of explaining some things. Particularly around the daemons. I don't think they've explained the bond between human and daemon at all well. The part where

Reveal hidden contents

she's about to get Pan cut away from her

is absolutely heartbreaking in the book because Pullman does such a good job of explaining how horrendous it would be to be away from your Daemon. There's a part in the book where Pan is pulling away from Lyra and it explains so well how utterly heartbreakign that is for Lyra. The show doesn't do that.

I also don't think they've explained the taboo around touching other people's daemons either. The part where

Reveal hidden contents

she's trying to run away in Bolvangar and they stop her by grabbing her daemon

should have been shocking. But they'd not really spent much time building up how shocking that would be.

I think those are my biggest issues with it. I'm just not sure they're doing a great job of explaining some of it. My other half said she'd be absolutely lost if she didn't have me explaining certain things to her. 

I'm also not a massive fan of Dafne Keen but she's far better than the girl who played Lyra in the movie version.

I'm picking holes in it because I'm so desperate for it to be good. Overall I think they've done a good job and I really hope they do the full trilogy. it's a far better effort than the movie

I’ve never read the books but thanks for the insight. 

5 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Bang on. Particularly the bits you've put in Spoilers. I guess in it's (the shows) defence, there are some things that are just easier to convey with the written word.

Yeah I was going to say, putting that much detail in may be very hard and long to do on screen. 

I hope they do persevere with the whole trilogy.  Think I read they’ve already signed up for series 2, before 1 was even released. It seems to be getting good reviews so you’d imagine they would do the third. 

2 hours ago, JB said:

His Dark Materials seems to have really divided opinion.

Going against the grain on here a bit but after a really promising first episode (some issues with the casting of McAvoy and Wilson aside), it’s got progressively worse with each episode IMO to the point where I now think that it’s actually pretty bad. 

Maybe I’m not viewing it objectively as I’m a big fan of the books but there’s a lot that I really don’t like. I think the major change to the plot is pretty catastrophic and some of the acting is ropey, too.

It’s pretty much the opposite of my opinion of Watchmen. I’ve never read the graphic novel and didn’t think the first couple of episodes were up to much. But it got progressively better with each one to the point where I ultimately thought it was excellent.

I think the second and third episodes were pretty crap but it's been ramping back up since. If it has a good finale on Sunday I think it'll have been a success

I don't mind the change to the plot. Well, it's not really a change to the plot, it's just moving one major part of it forward a bit. My only issue with it is

Spoiler

The whole climax of "Northern Lights" is Asriel getting to another world. The travelling to another world is the whole point of it. So to have the concept introduced so early in this kind of makes me wonder how this series is going to end. 

And the realisation when you realise what you're reading isn't a totally fictional universe, but one that runs parallel to ours is a pretty big one to now have removed.

Apart from that I haven't minded it really. I think it's actually a good way to add a bit of intrigue to people who haven't read the books

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't mind the change to the plot. Well, it's not really a change to the plot, it's just moving one major part of it forward a bit. My only issue with it is

Hide contents

The whole climax of "Northern Lights" is Asriel getting to another world. The travelling to another world is the whole point of it. So to have the concept introduced so early in this kind of makes me wonder how this series is going to end. 

And the realisation when you realise what you're reading isn't a totally fictional universe, but one that runs parallel to ours is a pretty big one to now have removed.

Apart from that I haven't minded it really. I think it's actually a good way to add a bit of intrigue to people who haven't read the books

Yep change was the wrong word.

I think bringing in ‘our’ world so early potentially ruins the impact of the ending. I also recall thinking that one of the most memorable moments from the books was the opening of the second as it was gradually revealed where it was taking place. 

As I say, I’m probably not viewing it objectively. Maybe it’s just not living up to what I hoped it would be. All of the big moments I’ve been waiting for so far have been disappointing. Iorek is pretty poorly done. 

it really seems to have divided opinion. Almost everyone I know who’s seen it is disappointed or flat out dislikes it but it generally seems to be going down well online. 

Really enjoying The Witcher. It combines the books and games very well all while doing it's own thing. Very impressed with it but I can completely understand why any newcomers to the universe will be like 'eh'?

• Like 2

Yeah I'm the same, 5 episodes in and really liking it but some of it has been hard going, knowing the relevance of cirri and yennefer at the very least helps

Spoiler

I didn't get the time thing straight away, knew it was something but I think it was when I saw the king who shagged his sister at the party that it clicked

Its got some cool things that work and then some writing that feels uneccesaarily complex, I still don't know the map (been a couple of years since I played the game) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JB said:

Yep change was the wrong word.

I think bringing in ‘our’ world so early potentially ruins the impact of the ending. I also recall thinking that one of the most memorable moments from the books was the opening of the second as it was gradually revealed where it was taking place. 

As I say, I’m probably not viewing it objectively. Maybe it’s just not living up to what I hoped it would be. All of the big moments I’ve been waiting for so far have been disappointing. Iorek is pretty poorly done. 

it really seems to have divided opinion. Almost everyone I know who’s seen it is disappointed or flat out dislikes it but it generally seems to be going down well online. 

Yep, the bolded bit was exactly my concern. I don't think I explained it very well in my post but I feel exactly the same. I don't think the moving of that part of the plot has had much effect yet, but I do fear the same thing you fear. We'll definitely lose that impact of suddenly realising "our world" exists in Pullman's universe

14 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Really enjoying The Witcher. It combines the books and games very well all while doing it's own thing. Very impressed with it but I can completely understand why any newcomers to the universe will be like 'eh'?

Haven't read the books nor played the games, watched 3 episodes of the show so far. Absolutely love it. 

• Like 1

Just finished ep6 of Witcher, its finding its rhythm now a little bit more and it feels like it's getting more assured and confident of itself as a show with each episode. For a first series and having to cram a lot in I think it's done well. For sure the time jumps could have been better signposted and some of the acting/dialogue is a bit meh at times but overall it's a 8/10 so far.

Yen is such a great character in this once you get past the jarring change in character looks, her arc is really interesting and the chemistry with Geralt is definitely accurate. Hoping Triss gets more involved in the next season although I'm not overly enamoured with her casting choice, but willing to give her a chance. Dandelion is great as well, looks and accent wise completely different of course but the core of the character is definitely there. 

I hope they do a few more seasons with a bigger budget. I want to see Novigrad and Vesemir. Plus I want them to go in more of the game direction with Ciri rather than the books. Fingers crossed.

2 episodes left which I'll finish off tomorrow. 

Edited by Ingram85

23 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Yeah I'm on episode 7 currently.

Super happy it isn't full of PC crap and identity politics.

Seems good so far, but I agree with your comment about "eh", I could follow what was going on as I played the game and have read every single book in the witcher series so understand the lore etc a bit.

If I hadn't read any of the books or played the game i would probably be confused as hell, a LOT of lore to wedge in to 10 episodes, I'm not surprised it would be hard to follow for the uninitiated, even if the writers tried hard to explain some of the lore, the lore is so deep in places I can only sympathise with the writers even trying to explain it in a few episodes....

Edited by MaVilla

Â