Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

17 minutes ago, Xela said:

forgot how good it was (and ridiculous)

It is ridiculous.

But like I said earlier in the thread, you have to treat Luther as a superhero/comic book show.

He is a superhero. The whole setting of the show is like a dark graphic novel/comic book. Luther even wears a costume. In that context, the show being realistic becomes less necessary, imo. The ridiculousness kind of fits after that.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Finished Escape at Dannemora or whatever it's called. Very good!

Also watching "You" now with my OH. It's quite bad. Have no idea why this dude is so fascinated with this woman cos she's dull as dishwater and a complete clearing in the woods.

Also enjoyed Escape at Dannemora, amazing it’s a true story.

had a look at the pictures of the main three involved and the show’s make up dept really got Tilly scarily spot on. 

Have heard good things about You - was tempted to watch that soon. 

"You" is a terrible teen, silly drama, with some weird twists - The dialogue is Beverley Hills 90210 level - absolutely awful.

I was ill and just kept watching in a semi-lucid state and absolutely hated myself every episode. Awful.

• Haha 1

Black Mirror.  Thought I should watch i the series before watching Bandersnatch?  Just read on this is internet thing that I should start at episode 2,  watch them all and finish with episode 1.  Then the snatch.  Thoughts?

6 hours ago, Withnail said:

Black Mirror.  Thought I should watch i the series before watching Bandersnatch?  Just read on this is internet thing that I should start at episode 2,  watch them all and finish with episode 1.  Then the snatch.  Thoughts?

You can watch the series in any order you want. Some people suggest leaving the first episode of the first season as it's a bit 'marmite' in terms of dividing opinion, and its tone isn't very typical of the other episodes, but it really doesn’t matter. 

• Like 1

They're standalone episodes with very occasional subtle nods to other episodes for the attentive viewer, so you could just watch bandersnatch first if you want to watch it while it's still being talked about. 

In general though, I agree with skipping s01e01, or at least watching it last. It's not really anything like the other episodes, and I've seen it put people off watching the rest. 

6 hours ago, Withnail said:

I don't think it matters one bit.

There's no over arching story in anything. They're all stand alone episodes. Mini movies really.

The only thing you'll miss out on is easter eggs and little nods to other episodes that are dropped in later on, especially in Bandersnatch. But in terms of stories and characters it won't matter at all.

Anyone else getting their period drama on with Les Mis? I'm an episode behind but I've actually quite enjoyed the start but the stickler for historical accuracy in me does wander about a couple of the casting choices. Maybe I'm wrong but given the various social class divisions I struggle to believe no one bats an eye at a black detective. Actor is good, but it does stand out for me. I know it's a fictional tale but it is set in 19th century post Napoleonic France. Maybe I'm assuming wrongly but I am guessing it wasn't the most enlightened times, the slave trade at Nantes and other ports were presumably still in operation or only recently abolished.

Edited by Rodders

Watched all of Sex Education on Netflix. Not bad if you want 8 hours of teenage angst/light sexual comedy. Very odd setting though, Mostly british cast set in a supposedly British school that has swim teams, people throwing american footballs around & letterman jackets, Random selection of old vehicles, multiple eras of clothing all mixed in with mobile phones. Like they just stuck all the teen movies from the past 30 years and glued them all together.

Has a similar feel about it to another netflix show 'Love' i guess & newcomer Emma Mackey is a very good Margot Robbie clone

4 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Watched all of Sex Education on Netflix. Not bad if you want 8 hours of teenage angst/light sexual comedy. Very odd setting though, Mostly british cast set in a supposedly British school that has swim teams, people throwing american footballs around & letterman jackets, Random selection of old vehicles, multiple eras of clothing all mixed in with mobile phones. Like they just stuck all the teen movies from the past 30 years and glued them all together.

Has a similar feel about it to another netflix show 'Love' i guess & newcomer Emma Mackey is a very good Margot Robbie clone

Love was great, really enjoyed that. Might have to check this out.

49 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Very odd setting though, Mostly british cast set in a supposedly British school that has swim teams, people throwing american footballs around & letterman jackets, Random selection of old vehicles, multiple eras of clothing all mixed in with mobile phones.

Is this a new thing?  'The End of the **** World' was similar.  Looked very American

Came across Two Doors Down by accident the other day.

Pretty good sitcom which has some cracking one liners.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b072wv8z

First series was in 2013 and its now up to series 4. (i'm pretty good at catching shows well late). I'm through to series 3 now.

Worth a watch just for Elaine C Smith (Rab C Nesbit fame) alone. Priceless one liners.

All episodes are available on BBC iplayer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Also watching "You" now with my OH. It's quite bad. Have no idea why this dude is so fascinated with this woman cos she's dull as dishwater and a complete clearing in the woods.

True to real life then as a lot of blokes do put women like that on a pedestal and obsess over them. 

4 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Love was a fantastic series. Will give this a go if it's similar. 

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Is this a new thing?  'The End of the **** World' was similar.  Looked very American

No idea, guess it's more normal for people to see US style high schools on TV than British schools and the netflix market is far larger than any potential uk audience. Doesn't really detract too much but it's all just a bit odd when it is supposed to be set in the english countryside

11 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Early reviews for True Detective are pretty positive.

The consensus seems to be, it's a lot more season 1 than 2. 

yeah its got the feel of series 1 to it both in set up and some of the hints, its good, not instantly grabbing you in the same way i remember season 1 doing (before it became so dense that IMO it wasn't actually that good, the acting and the cinematography made it seem better than it was ) i think so far it seems a lot more focused, very much Ali's show

• Like 3

So, ep 1 of The Passage.

I really want to not dislike it, and it's not terrible, but.

The introduction to the characters and story is really rushed. It's the same tempo you'd expect from a 87 minute b-movie.

Which is a real shame as that part of the book is really good IMO.some of my favorite parts of the first book are in there. Now it's just a mad dash through the first 150 or so pages in the book in 40 minutes.

Ironically I think the show is going to be really slow in getting to when the big events happen.

As it is the characters are paper thin, but hopefully the show will circle back and deliver more backstory over the coming episodes.

I don't really mind too much the character changes they've done to pander to a wider demography, it's cynical, but show runners do it all the time.

so in conclusion it was disappointing as expected, but not terrible.

It's just that this could have been so, so good, but it won't be.

Think this will end up being another The Strain, a good source material ruined by the studio not having faith in it to stand on it's own without making unnecessary changes and dumbing it down a bit.

6/10 - Hopefully it will get better over time.

Edited by sne
  • Sad 2

Finally got round to the latest season of Always Sunny. Not finished it yet but more than halfway through.

It's not great, but mostly its' not bad either.

Except for... the first episode. It was absolute shite. So shite that it feels like it must have been a different write or something. It was awful.

Â