Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

4 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I've only seen the first one so far, but was very impressed. 

I struggle with 'slow' things normally, but the quality of the acting and the way it was shot, meant the hour went pretty quickly, despite not a lot happening. 

Patricia Arquette is absolutely outstanding in it. 

Finished the series, great great show. Stand out for 2018.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Did anyone watch the Inbetweeners: Fwends Reunited? 

Turned it on excitedly thinking it was a new episode; saw it was a clip show with Jimmy Carr, and turned over to 'The Running Man' instead. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I saw a couple of minutes of it. They really looked like they didn’t want to be there, particularly Joe Thomas (Simon). Looked pretty self indulgent to me, so quickly switched over. It appears to have been given a severe kicking.

My mate had been on about it, thinking it was a new episode. But I hadn’t seen the show advertised at all, so I assumed it wouldn’t be an actual episode as channel four would have made a bigger deal of promoting it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I watched the first hour. Will catch up with the second hour later.

It was ok from what I saw. But there's a lot of filler in there, which they even admit. 

When they're interviewing the four main guys about how they got the parts and how they filmed it and that stuff then it's great. Or there was a bit where the 4 boys go back to the school and talk about the show. 

But then there's other bits like they give out awards and interview people like paedo kennedy who nobody really cares about.

So it's worth a watch, but they could have made it an hour show without all the jimmy carr trying to be funny stuff and it would have been better.

• Like 1

Finished Escape at Dannemora.

Really good! Casting is spot on, especially Arquette is amazing. And no one plays a drunk better than Del Toro.

Right up there with the best shows of 2018.

Paints a pretty bleak picture of that part of the US, might as well have been Russia in the 80's as USA in 2015.

It's pretty interesting reading up a bit on the true story after watching it too.

Highly recommend.

Spamming this thread now :D 

Started watching the French spy series The Bureau (Le Bureau des Légendes) a while back and it's frankly top notch.

A bit into the second season (there are 4 so far) and it just keeps getting better.

It's far superior to the likes of Homeland, Jack Ryan or anything else I can think of in this genre.

Since it's in french there might be a language hurdle for those who are not used to subtitles, but give it a go.

It's not action and explosions for the most part so don't expect guns blazing and one-liners galore.

More of a The Wire/Line of Duty than Miami Vice :D 

Falsk identitet Poster

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

So it's worth a watch, but they could have made it an hour show without all the jimmy carr trying to be funny stuff

I often wonder how he's on TV so much. He's like a shit Frankie Boyle.

He was particularly poor on this, I don't think he's ever seen the Inbetweeners, but was briefed to talk about "clunge" a lot. He also didn't seem to realise that nobody was watching the show for him, and him constantly interrupting the actual stars of the show for one of his standup gags wasn't really the mark of a good host.

Greg Davies was the highlight of a fairly poor show, IMO.

Edited by Davkaus

59 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I often wonder how he's on TV so much. He's like a shit Frankie Boyle.

He was particularly poor on this, I don't think he's ever seen the Inbetweeners, but was briefed to talk about "clunge" a lot. He also didn't seem to realise that nobody was watching the show for him, and him constantly interrupting the actual stars of the show for one of his standup gags wasn't really the mark of a good host.

Greg Davies was the highlight of a fairly poor show, IMO.

Just watched the rest of it and yeah it was quite poor. 

Id be interested in a serious show about it. With proper interviews with the cast and writers etc. I’d like some insight into how it was made etc. There were glimpses of that in this, but it was mostly trying to be funny and failing. 

Shame. 

1 hour ago, villarule123 said:

What are the US versions of the Office and Shameless like? Looking for a new comedy to sink my time into! 

I’ve watched seasons 1-4 of the US version of the office.

You can pretty much skip season 1, it’s very similar to the UK original. If you’re interested in seeing it for comparison purposes, it’s six episodes long so it won’t take too long to go through.

Seasons 2 and 3 are very, very good. It becomes more of it’s own show, the characters are more developed. The humour has it’s roots in the original version, but they have their own take on it. Definitely worth watching.

Season 4, it starts to drop off. I didn’t laugh anywhere near as much as the previous seasons. I kinda got the impression it had peaked and have as such not seen anything after that.

I’ve read that later seasons are hit and miss, more miss. It sounds like it suffers with the usual problem with US shows which has started well, becomes successful, people want more and it just can’t be sustained.

I’d start with season 2 (if I remember correctly, it doesn’t really matter not having seen the first season) and see how far you get.

On 03/01/2019 at 07:49, HanoiVillan said:

Turned it on excitedly thinking it was a new episode; saw it was a clip show with Jimmy Carr, and turned over to 'The Running Man' instead. 

That's what i thought it was. But then when I was reading about the negative reviews about it I didn't bother as I have no interest in Jimmy Carr I interviewing them. Surely it would ahv e been better to have had them in charchter?

After this disaster I do wonder whther they will try something again as this would have been a massive flop.

I do think eventually we will get a Inbetweeners "reunion" movie like American pie did. That's the only way I ever see anything Inbetweeners ever coming out

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That's what i thought it was. But then when I was reading about the negative reviews about it I didn't bother as I have no interest in Jimmy Carr I interviewing them. Surely it would ahv e been better to have had them in charchter?

After this disaster I do wonder whther they will try something again as this would have been a massive flop.

I do think eventually we will get a Inbetweeners "reunion" movie like American pie did. That's the only way I ever see anything Inbetweeners ever coming out

I think the first two movies were very profitable, so I would imagine a 'reunion' is pretty likely, yeah. 

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think they're too old for it to work now. 

Not saying they won't do a reunion movie. In fact I think that's pretty likely. But I don't think it would be any good. The whole point of the show is they're teenage schoolkids. Which just about transferred to them being students. Beyond that I don't think it would work.

FWIW the backlash over the reunion has been pretty bad. James buckley apologised on his Twitter on Wednesday for it being so shit. Said he might "explain it" later.
The format was really poor for me. I already said it, but I think if they just had a serious show about it, with proper interviews and questions it would have been much better. The best part of the show was the very first 5 minutes where they were actually sharing anecdotes about the show and how they came to make it, and the bit where they were all in the car and visited the school and reminisced about it.
Everything with Jimmy Carr and the stupid gameshow and the other cast members was shit.

Edited by Stevo985

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I think they're too old for it to work now. 

Not saying they won't do a reunion movie. In fact I think that's pretty likely. But I don't think it would be any good. The whole point of the show is they're teenage schoolkids. Which just about transferred to them being students. Beyond that I don't think it would work.

FWIW the backlash over the reunion has been pretty bad. James buckley apologised on his Twitter on Wednesday for it being so shit. Said he might "explain it" later.
The format was really poor for me. I already said it, but I think if they just had a serious show about it, with proper interviews and questions it would have been much better.

Valid point about them being "old" but that's why it might work.  It worked for American pie the reunion it was a great movie.

I think it could work really well but for me I am not sure of they want to do it anymore. From what I have heard Simon didn't seem Interested being there.

As for the show yeah I read about that, that he might do a YouTube video to explain and he was the most hated man on Britain at the moment (big time exaggeration) 

Personally I thought they would do a third movie of wills mum marrying the head teacher I could imagine all kinds of inbetweeners carnage for that storyline.

I watched for 5 minutes and had to stop because of the cringe.

They tried to do an American format imo and it just doesn't work on UK TV. What makes it even worse is that it was the type of show that would be ripped apart within the show itself, it was almost meta cringe which is why it was so poorly received I think. 

Â