Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

coming to it late means you get to play "bloody hell i know him"

there are some proper people in the cast!

Ha, definitely.

Quite  a few well knowns in it, but the only one I find incredibly jarring is Ross from Friends pretending to be in the army.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Just finished Vikings, damn someone got away who shoulda been decapitated!

Switched to a new un...Russian Doll. Love it! Very amusing first 4 episodes.

14 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm a little behind the times, but I just watched episode one of Band of Brothers. Not a bad start!

If I were to pick a favourite between BoB, The Wire and Sopranos I really would have to flip a coin. Must have watched them all about 15 times. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Ha, definitely.

Quite  a few well knowns in it, but the only one I find incredibly jarring is Ross from Friends pretending to be in the army.

Sobel! I thought he played that rather well. If anything I thought they rather pushed the limits at times in regards to people's legacys. Especially Sobel, Cobb and Norman Dike didn't come across well. And that kinda bothers me considering what these guys went through and they can't speak for themselves any more. Like Sobel for instance, everyone that has been in the military knows the talk amongst the men towards spesific officers. Sobel is portrayed as an inept and petty coward, yet to a large degree stuff like this are made up among people going from basic training. It just doesn't sit right with me. Fortunately Richard Winters was alive for the making of the show, and hopefully he had the integrity to see that the truth was told. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

'The Orville' continues to surprise me with the subjects it tackles. 

It sits in it's own little genre. It's not an out and out comedy and it isn't a proper drama. It's essentially a homage to the original Star Trek series, but they tackle some interesting subjects and do it really well. Well worth a watch imo.

Just finished the latest series of The Good Place too and that is now hands down my favourite current comedy. Absolute genius. 

• Like 1

On 28/01/2019 at 11:41, sne said:

True Detective S3 so far is excellent!

Not quite as good as S1 but really really good.

It's at the level where you get a bit frustrated that you are not allowed to binge it and that's always a sign of quality.

I am finding really hard to catch some of the dialogue if I am honest and it's little slow paced.

On 01/02/2019 at 21:02, Davkaus said:

I'm a little behind the times, but I just watched episode one of Band of Brothers. Not a bad start!

You jammy, jammy bastard. To watch that fresh. Such a good mini-series.

The Pacific that was their next effort isn't as good ( but still worthwhile I think ) as it didn't have the same level of ensemble focus that you get with Band of Brothers.

Started Sex Education tonight - first two episodes in and it's hilarious.

11 minutes ago, Rodders said:

You jammy, jammy bastard. To watch that fresh. Such a good mini-series.

The Pacific that was their next effort isn't as good ( but still worthwhile I think ) as it didn't have the same level of ensemble focus that you get with Band of Brothers.

Started Sex Education tonight - first two episodes in and it's hilarious.

The Pasific is rather good I reckon. But not comperable to BoB, but still good. They had too much focus on Eugene Sledge in that one though. 

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Has anyone watched the Sons of Anarchy spin-off Mayans MC? 

Started on bbc2 last night and recorded the first two episodes. 

I've seen the whole season. If you liked SOA, then you'll like this, its basically a Mexican version.

• Thanks 1

On 27/01/2019 at 13:05, Stevo985 said:

Sex Education is superb

I couldn't quite put my finger on what felt so familiar about it until yesterday when I realised it was filmed in my old college in Caerleon. 25+ years since I was last there so lots has changed but it forced me to go on a bit of a nostalgia trip, which was nice :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mykeyb said:

I am finding really hard to catch some of the dialogue if I am honest and it's little slow paced.

Seen others say this about the dialogue as well, personally not having that problem.

A friend of mine pointed out that the story has similarities to the Sean Penn directed movie The Pledge with Jack Nicholson. 

Hadn't thought about it before but there are some clear similarities.

Still really enjoying it and Ali is excellent.

Edited by sne

On 03/02/2019 at 19:57, KenjiOgiwara said:

The Pasific is rather good I reckon. But not comperable to BoB, but still good. They had too much focus on Eugene Sledge in that one though. 

BoB worked better because all the guys were in the same unit, unlike The Pacific which kept hopping between characters who had no connection with each other. And in the book, arguably the best part was about an aviator, who was totally left out of the TV series, presumably for budgetary reasons. 

Edited by mjmooney

Â