Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

On 05/06/2018 at 12:42, mjmooney said:

A Very English Scandal, anyone? 

Watched the three episodes and the documentary.

Great watch and surprisingly funny in places too (the John Le Mesurier stuff had me laughing anyway). Excellent performances from all involved, in particular Ben Whishaw and Hugh Grant, who’s never been better. The actor playing Peter Bessell was very good too.

I think I knew of the story, but nothing in any real detail. I’d seen the Peter Cook biased judge sketch before but didn’t realise that it was based on the judge for this trial. 

• Like 3

Just finished that now. Hugh Grant and Ben Wishaw are just superb. Knew nothing of it at all and had to resist the temptation to do wiki it midway. Will watch the documentary tomorrow.

• Like 1

God, I was in here last week praising westworld's return to form, but that was **** terrible. 

An hour of absolute tedium. Probably the worst episode of the show, with the samurai one just behind. I hate these episodes that just focus on side plots. 

Found Billions Season 3 to be a decent watch, looking forward to Season 4 after how they've left things.

Raced through the first two seasons of Imposters with the OH and found it to be an good, entertaining watch but have just learned it has been canned ?

Apologies for mentioning it again but "The Hand Maid's Tale" is fast approaching Breaking Bad levels of greatness for a TV show and I do not say that lightly.

Season 2 had engrossed me so much that I binged watched Season 1 again this past week. It is absolutely brilliant - the story, the acting and the visual style. It can feel like a slow burner but every shot and line of dialogue is enriching the landscape of this dystopian vision. It feels unworldly, unfeasible, yet, uncomfortably close to us - the current cultural backdrop of Trump's authoritarian leanings and the refugee/immigrant atrocities on the Southern border make it terrifyingly poignant. 

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, hogso said:

How far into season 2 are you? I'm on episode 7, and it doesn't let up. Probably my favourite show since Line of Duty. 

Ep 8 was released Tuesday night/Wednesday morning at 12 midnight in the US (East coast.)

But my wife went to bed so I have to wait for her to watch it :-))

LOD is good but for me doesn't have the gravitas of HMT. 

The parallels with Orwell are obvious (I haven't read THM novel) but living in the digital age these  seasons of TV are similarly valid/engrossing to the extreme.

Handmaid's Tale is very good, but I find it too unremittingly grim. Breaking Bad (for example) had many humorous elements to give it balance. 

• Like 2

On 11/06/2018 at 20:01, Davkaus said:

God, I was in here last week praising westworld's return to form, but that was **** terrible. 

An hour of absolute tedium. Probably the worst episode of the show, with the samurai one just behind. I hate these episodes that just focus on side plots. 

I've started to try and get into it again. Good so far. 

On 13/06/2018 at 03:38, maqroll said:

Finally a show I'm excited to watch. Season 2 of Goliath is upcoming.  Season 1 was really entertaining.

Forgot it was out today or would have had it all watched by now. Halfway through so far & very enjoyable again. Mark Duplass is superb in his role as Tom Wyatt but there is nowhere near enough of Brittany so far.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

On 13/06/2018 at 08:54, mjmooney said:

Handmaid's Tale is very good, but I find it too unremittingly grim. Breaking Bad (for example) had many humorous elements to give it balance. 

This is the main reason I like it so much. 

• Like 1

On 13/06/2018 at 09:54, mjmooney said:

It is. I don’t think that detracts from the quality of the show, which is just excellent, but it is bloody hard to watch. 

Speaking of which, we are 4/5 through Patrick Melrose and episode two of that, if anyone’s seen it, was possibly even tougher than HMT. 

Â