Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

11 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Yeah I enjoyed it, I'd never heard of the story before. If it wasn't a true story I would have said it was a bit far-fetched.

It's quite incredible to think it was only 50 years ago homosexual acts were decriminalised in the UK.

Did you watch the 1979 documentary that followed it? Interesting viewing. 

4 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Wife and I watched episode 1 last night. I thought it was fabulous.

Hugh Grant is great in it. Who knew he could act?

Indeed. Superb performances from all the cast, in fact. Nailed-on BAFTAs, I'd say. 

Thorpe's son Rupert is now a successful photo journalist - I wonder how he feels about it all? 

Just now, snowychap said:

Yep. Watched all three episodes yesterday. Very good stuff.

I really didn't know until the end bits came up that Norman Scott was still alive.

And he still hasn't got his National Insurance card! 

• Like 2

Apologies if this has already been mentioned as I'm a newbie to this thread....but...black mirrors. Recently stumbled across it on Netflix and although I've only seen about 5 episodes it's got my attention.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Apologies if this has already been mentioned as I'm a newbie to this thread....but...black mirrors. Recently stumbled across it on Netflix and although I've only seen about 5 episodes it's got my attention.

They are all mostly great. Superb stuff. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Indeed. Superb performances from all the cast, in fact. Nailed-on BAFTAs, I'd say. 

Thorpe's son Rupert is now a successful photo journalist - I wonder how he feels about it all? 

Watched episode 2 tonight. For me it wasn't as gripping as episode 1 but still looking forward to finishing it tomorrow.

But this afternoons Villa revelations would put the scuppers on enjoying almost anything!

4 episodes into second series of Westworld. Can honestly say I haven’t got a clue what is going on. I normally like to read some reviews etc which can help, but they normally reveal something and I’m trying to figure it all out. Don’t think I will though. 

The second series of Westworld seems to have mistaken jumbling a narrative for making something compelling. You can literally feel that there is actually a straightforward narrative, but then they took a pair of scissors to the script and rearranged it.

It's still good but it's needlessly convoluted. I've habitually been watching the Westworld explained videos that go through each episode and try to tease out the distant strands just to ensure I'm not missing something in the jumbled mess. Unavoidably it spoils stuff but in some cases is literally just underlining things that are in plain sight but only noticeable if you've been spending hours watching each episode pausing bits and keeping a index card system for every character. **** that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

The second series of Westworld seems to have mistaken jumbling a narrative for making something compelling. You can literally feel that there is actually a straightforward narrative, but then they took a pair of scissors to the script and rearranged it.

It's still good but it's needlessly convoluted. I've habitually been watching the Westworld explained videos that go through each episode and try to tease out the distant strands just to ensure I'm not missing something in the jumbled mess. Unavoidably it spoils stuff but in some cases is literally just underlining things that are in plain sight but only noticeable if you've been spending hours watching each episode pausing bits and keeping a index card system for every character. **** that.

Agree completely. Unnecessarily convoluted and I also feel that the plot is much weaker this season.

Last episode it started to get that 'Lost' feeling - i.e. we're not quite sure where we are going with this but we are going to make everything seem really dramatic and crucially important.

Another stellar episode of the Hand Maid's Tale this week. My favorite thing on TV right now without a doubt.

Also a great interview from the Hay festival with Margaret Attwood the author of the original novel. A very smart and witty lady and if you like the show it's well worth an hour of your time. Still available on the BBC iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p067syhc/hay-festival-2018-margaret-atwood

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Chindie said:

That slightly discourages me from even starting it. If they're sacrificing enjoyment for 'look how clever we are', then I've better things I could be doing.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

Yup agreed there. I've actually stopped watching it week by week and will wait for the season to end to watch it all in one go. Didn't seem to flow very well at all. 

39 minutes ago, BOF said:

That slightly discourages me from even starting it. If they're sacrificing enjoyment for 'look how clever we are', then I've better things I could be doing.

I'd certainly watch a couple of episodes before writing it off.

The issue this series is they've got 3, possibly more, timelines on the go, each having their own separate narratives going on within them, made more complicated by the fact characters repeat across them, and then further complicated at least 1 of those characters is unreliable (in more ways than 1). It then jumbles the narratives up, you skip between the timelines and have numerous cases where you, certainly initially, can't be sure quite where things are (especially in the case of that one character). So then you get slightly disorientated and miss small clues that eventually tie together - I missed that a background character was shown to be dead in one timeline in an early episode because that character hadn't actually been introduced until 3 episodes later (this is a character I'm not even sure is named so it's not like you've missed anything major but it's an example of how the show is constructed).

In the previous series the mystery was basically working out what people's motivations and ultimate goals were (with 1 hidden in plain sight piece of misdirection to keep you guessing). This time the show has basically made the mystery untangling exactly what had happened at different points. It has resolved some things (there's a subplot that runs for 4 episodes that is resolved and is quite satisfying about the parks history).

It's basically Memento mixed with hints of Inception (unsurprisingly given who is involved in the show). But it's Memento's structure spread over a much bigger canvas and mixed in with questions about humanity, narrative, freedom, choice.

It's still a good show, at times great (Thandie Newton is excellent even if her arc is hard to empathise with, Ed Harris is basically awesome, it has some fun with ideas of what is wider than Westworld) but I kinda feel like the structure harms it. It feels the show is playing sleight of hand with you rather than showing you a story that might have mysteries to find. Here there are mysteries but the show wants to chop off the strands to follow or to obscure them.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

It's basically Memento mixed with hints of Inception

Fine.  I'll watch it sober then :P

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Fine.  I'll watch it sober then :P

Nah honestly, it's better if you're mangled.

I never know what's going on, but I just blame the drugs. If you're sober, you have to face up to the fact you might just be a bit thick :D

• Haha 4

Recently I've been enjoying Barry, which is very amusing. Henry Winkler steals the show for me. Also been watching the Roper Stomper TV show. Wasn't completely sold with the first episode, but it's got better as it's gone on.

Â