Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

On 15/07/2018 at 22:51, villa4europe said:

finishing season 1 of the americans, enjoying it, i would say that it could take a leaf out of mad mens book and throw in more real world events and see how the characters react to them (reagan being shot for example works really well)

think its now well set up, needs to go somewhere rather than rinse and repeat

We just finished the whole lot...season six is very good.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Goliath season two is just as good as its predecessor.

i thought it dropped slightly, BBT is every bit as good but there were some bits of the antagonist that were borderline silly

i will also admit to having a stupid penny dropping moment of my own

Spoiler

i cant remember at what point it was but i had the thought "this is bigger than him" 

probably why the show is called Goliath ?‍♂️ 

the "silly" reference, i didn't fully get the amputee stuff, both why the mexican bloke did it or buy in to why the yank was aroused by it, also seemed like a bit of a convenience that the cartel boss did it and the rich crooked developer was in to it, just felt a bit contrived to em

15 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

This week's episode had me in bits (Mostly due to the Devil ?).

I was surprised they went with the Devil storyline actually, but for the better. Loved the portrayal as overtly being a mob boss/shady businessman with the same patter and techniques. A shame the budget just isn't there to bring the Devil to life more believably though.

But..Saint of Killers is back! :D

Great stuff.

• Like 2

On 16/07/2018 at 23:44, Shropshire Lad said:

“Who is America?”. The gun section was easily the best part, the rest less so.

Yeah some of it wasn't funny. In the staunch repubs house for example. Felt bad for them.

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah some of it wasn't funny. In the staunch repubs house for example. Felt bad for them.

Yeah I wasn’t paying much attention to that bit, found it a bit dull and slow. The couple were too understanding and polite. Basically just him saying a load of outrageous things and seeing how they react. 

Obviously that sketch, it’s the idiot liberal character who’s meant to be the target of the satire rather than the God fearing republicans. That’s fair enough, it just didn’t work that well. Likewise the artists discussion sequence.

I think Cohen is funny and on his day he’s an exceptional talent. But too often he goes for the easy gag.

The final gun bit was funny so hopefully there’s more like that. The problem might well be that a lot of stuff is beyond parody these days.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

Holy shit.

I mean...

**** hell.

They really **** that up.

Alan Partridge: [Opening a file] Right, OK. Shoestring, Taggart, Spender, Bergerac, Morse. What does that say to you about regional detective series?

Tony Hayers: There's too many of them?

Alan Partridge: That's one way of looking at it, another way of looking at it is, people like them, let's make some more of them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

Alan Partridge: [Opening a file] Right, OK. Shoestring, Taggart, Spender, Bergerac, Morse. What does that say to you about regional detective series?

Tony Hayers: There's too many of them?

Alan Partridge: That's one way of looking at it, another way of looking at it is, people like them, let's make some more of them.

"Swallow", a detective from Norwich!

• Like 1

Just started Rush Hour

Not too bad as buddy cop dramas go. I would assume the Lethal Weapon series would be similar. 

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

"Swallow", a detective from Norwich!

He was warning us about "Black Panther and The Wasp 6" and we never even knew it.

Edited by Brumerican

White Gold has some of the most jarring tonal shifts I've ever seen in a TV show.

Is it Goodfella's ?

Is it The Inbetweeners ?

Is it Football Factory ?

Then it gets a bit Wolf of Wall Streety .

Then somebody shouts out "What if the Twilight guy was placed in a wind tunnel whilst playing both Kray twins ?"

Still kind of  works and has some genuinely hilarious moments. Buckley providing the vast majority of them.

10 hours ago, Hornso said:

Did anyone watch the first season of The Deuce? Got it sitting on my HD but haven't given it a look in yet. Wondering if it is worth the time?

yes and yes, as you would expect from HBO the production values are incredible, then as you would expect from Simon there are lots of characters who somehow all manage to feel developed despite varying amounts of screen time, some 'orrible bastards that you quite like, maybe the only criticism is the "main" story arcs arent always that interesting (so again maybe as you would expect from Simon...but compared to the wire and treme the franco and gyllenhall stories do feel more at the forefront)

its back in september

• Like 1

Â