Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I'm 5 episodes in.

I'm enjoying it, it starts too slowly, but gets better.

The problems you could see coming months ago though. They messed up the villain. The Hand were always rubbish and having them lead by a new figure who is basically an older woman played by Sigourney Weaver picking up a cheque and bored wasn't a good idea. They need to do something astonishing to make her a good antagonist, and if my suspicions are correct, they aren't going to.

So basically you get a weak plot that's propped up by the fact Daredevil and Jessica Jones are good characters and there's a few good action scenes. They took 5 series to get here. 2 explicitly set up the Hand. This isn't good enough.

Not the hand again, they need to move the story line away from the hand. the hand in iron fist just killed it for me. was hoping they would maybe revisit the hand but not make the whole story about them again.

Doesnt sound very promising, going to start on episode 2 now 

EDIT the fight scenes in the dark are really REALLY annoying 

Edited by Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Not the hand again, they need to move the story line away from the hand. the hand in iron fist just killed it for me. was hoping they would maybe revisit the hand but not make the whole story about them again.

Doesnt sound very promising, going to start on episode 2 now 

EDIT the fight scenes in the dark are really REALLY annoying 

It was always going to be the Hand, they'd set them up in Daredevil series 2 and then elaborated on them in Iron Fist. They've always been shit, but they were always going to be the villains. That could work, but they needed to have them lead by some named character. And they haven't, so far.

It does get better. 2 is kinda more introduction plus intro to story, 3 hits the gears.

And the fight scenes are pretty good. Some very good.

Just finished episode 6. It's alright. It's propped up by having good moments interspersed into a weaker framework. Theres a brief moment in 6 which is very much the writers nailing a character and their motivations and how they would react to a situation, but it's surrounded by less stellar stuff. 

I can sense the let down the series will be.

Finished the Defenders.

Yeah. It's a disappointment. It's not terrible. I'd probably not argue even argue it's bad at all, it's just nowhere near the standard it should have been.

The antagonist isn't good enough. The Hand aren't interesting and never have been. They needed to have the Hand as faceless goons under the command of a B, C tier villain. Like Taskmaster. Or tie them into a villain from Iron Fist or Daredevil's rogues gallery.

Because the Hand are the villains, their leader is a mystery, and the plot is shit. It's muddled, thin, slow to start, ends with a whimper... It isn't good enough. Each character gets a bit of a plot, but Daredevil benefits most. Iron Fist is better here, mostly, then suffers for

Spoiler

being made a Macguffin

and couple of moments reverting to type. The show is pulled along by Daredevil and Jones being the most interesting and well portrayed characters, with Iron Fist and Cage pulled along with it. Weaver is shit. She plays Alexandra as aloof and cultured, but cuts a bored and almost embarrassed figure. 

The action verges between pretty good and weak, with far too many fights set in dark environments. It's a shame as theres some flashy stuff and few good scenes spoilt because you can't see anything.

This sounds overtly negative. It's really good to see these characters together, it's great to have this Matt Murdock back and Jones with all the snark. There's a few moments and sequences that are really good. Whilst it's slow to start there's not as much of the usual Netflix filler. And even if is not what we hoped for, it's still entertaining.

I can't deny I could write something using these characters that would be better though.

On 21/08/2017 at 13:28, LakotaDakota said:

Defenders was ok, some nice moments but Finn Jones as iron fist is just crap again. He really is a poor actor.

Sums his portrayal up quite well when one of the characters quite literally turns to him and says...

"You are the stupidest Iron Fist..."

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I know that I boringly post this every week, but I don't care. 

New Twin Peaks is the best thing on TV. Definitely this year, possibly ever. 

I'll continue my role as the "Black Lodge" to your "White Lodge", and say that I still find it awful! I'd go as far as to say it's been the most disappointing season of TV I've ever seen. I'm sure I've watched worse TV, but never from a show I like so much. Haven't watched the latest ep, but can't see things improving much :(

13 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I'll continue my role as the "Black Lodge" to your "White Lodge", and say that I still find it awful! I'd go as far as to say it's been the most disappointing season of TV I've ever seen. I'm sure I've watched worse TV, but never from a show I like so much. Haven't watched the latest ep, but can't see things improving much :(

This week's is incredibly sentimental. If you are going to like one episode it will probably be this one :thumb:

• Like 1

Defenders has been quite enjoyable imo. It has a few issues but I've enjoyed it on the whole. Its a continuation, not a culmination. Its not perfect by any means but I do think people expected way too much of it. 

The only real bug bear for me continues to be Danny Rand. He has no authority, no intelligence and just looks out of place and weak compared to the rest. The writing is holding him back I feel and he needs to be fully let loose but I don't think the chap playing him is capable of pulling it off. He is so stupid. In a fight I'd rather have Colleen have my back.

Its no Daredevil but its better than IF & LC. Gets a solid 7.5/10 for me.

Ozarks is good, much easier to draw you in than the Leftovers - people talk about the 2nd season of that one being great, but it does mean having to get through a very slow first season. Ozarks on the other hand, 3 down in a few days, could feasibly binge the rest in no time at all, really enjoyable.

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Defenders has been quite enjoyable imo. It has a few issues but I've enjoyed it on the whole. Its a continuation, not a culmination. Its not perfect by any means but I do think people expected way too much of it. 

The only real bug bear for me continues to be Danny Rand. He has no authority, no intelligence and just looks out of place and weak compared to the rest. The writing is holding him back I feel and he needs to be fully let loose but I don't think the chap playing him is capable of pulling it off. He is so stupid. In a fight I'd rather have Colleen have my back.

Its no Daredevil but its better than IF & LC. Gets a solid 7.5/10 for me.

They've messed up with Iron Fist. The character is much more jovial in the comics, his power is far more advanced and even without that, he's basically Bruce Lee on speed. Hand to hand he should beat more or less anyone with incredible fighting skills and flashy moves.

So far they've limited his power to one hand, made him quite petulant and often withdrawn, and his fighting style is dull. And they were embarrassed of the outfit so struggled to film fights with stuntmen, and Jones isn't a great martial artist to cover that up.

It's a shame, as he should be one of the best characters in the Defenders and very different to the rest. This series gets better with him, but then hobbles itself. Hopefully the second series of his solo show will be able to build on that and have him fight a better villain and get him in the suit.

11 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Oh and just remembered the misplaced rap music at the end of defenders. **** me. 

I genuinely thought something was wrong with the stream when I saw that, that Netflix had cocked up or something. Bizarre choice. Completely flat.

not sure if iron fist should go full wuxia or how that would then work when he's on the screen with 3 others but the fact that the fight choreography is better in DD tells you everything you need to know, think back to the first time you saw black panther do that jump in the air spin triple kick move in civil war id guess everyone here thought that was cool as ****, yet to see a single IF piece that made me think the same

On 22/08/2017 at 19:03, wazzap24 said:

I know that I boringly post this every week, but I don't care. 

New Twin Peaks is the best thing on TV. Definitely this year, possibly ever. 

Better than Pointless ?

I doubt it.

• Like 2

finished defenders

Spoiler

started boring but did pick up at the half way point, that last episode though...**** me it was bad

the show has the same main problem as iron fist, he's not good enough and the fight scenes are shit, daredevil (im assuming because of the double in his costume) is a better fighter but then the writers also had DD almost equaling him in a fight and elektra beating him

the last 4 years, i think 72 hours of TV, have introduced us to this gritty underworld of new york, characters who they keep telling us arent heroes they're just people trying to look after their city and people who are trying to hurt their communities only to have the final hour of it to see them fighting immortals who are harvesting dragon bones...and the fact that the city will collapse in purely coincidental, its not an attack on new york, new york just happens to be in the way, the idea to blow up the building, the DD and elektra storyline, the scene between karen and trish

its horrible writing

and then theres that hip hop music, what the **** is that?

liked the door scene at the end when they were waiting for matt to walk through, that was about it for that episode

overall i still strangely thought it was ok, maybe 7/10

and yesterday i did see the netflix viewing stats and 4 of the top 5 shows were marvel so they arent going anywhere (orange is the new black was bottom interestingly so i think they might and probably should call it a day)

Â