Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Finally, Good Omens casting news! Only a month after Gaiman suggested it was imminent...

David Tennant and Michael Sheen are on board to play Crowley and Aziraphale respectively. Great! Tennant I think would be on everyone's list for Crowley, and I wouldn't have thought of Sheen at all really but I could see him as a very very good Aziraphale, who needs to be that quiet well to do very very very slightly hinting at gay Englishman.

Excellent.

Now cast the rest right. No Americans, apart from Horsemen and the odd supporting cast member. It's incredibly British, don't Americanise it where it doesn't need to be.

Edit - bloody Sheens... :)

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 4

So I've realised all this time people have been telling me to watch "Power" and I've been reluctant, it's because I was getting it mixed up with "Empire", which looked shit.

Annoying.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

So I've realised all this time people have been telling me to watch "Power" and I've been reluctant, it's because I was getting it mixed up with "Empire", which looked shit.

Annoying.

I know you initially said you didn't like it what is your opinion now? 

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I know you initially said you didn't like it what is your opinion now? 

Haven't watched any more of it yet, but looking forward to it a bit more now I know what show I'm watching :D 

One of the directors for Inhumans has thrown it under the bus in a roundabout way, claiming he was hired because he can do something that looks big budget fast and cheap, and that Marvel execs were constantly on board making sure it tied in correctly.

No wonder it's destined to be a disaster.

On the plus side, Defenders tomorrow. Even if it's got a mixed early reaction, I'd wager good money its better than Inhumans.

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Ozark is easily the best show of this year. Hands down. Now I'm trying to find something to watch after it. Meh.

It's good, but no way it beats legion, let alone Twin Peaks. 

It might hit the heights of the Leftovers, but that's a high bar too and Ray Donovan is back. 

It might scrape the top 6 at the end of the year, bit like the Villa :D

3 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

It's good, but no way it beats legion, let alone Twin Peaks. 

It might hit the heights of the Leftovers, but that's a high bar too and Ray Donovan is back. 

It might scrape the top 6 at the end of the year, bit like the Villa :D

165.gif

• Like 1

I still have concerns about how one note a Punisher series could be, Bernthal's take is about the best we've had of the character (not perfect but good) so this could be good. And obscenely violent.

Any idea on the antagonist?

part of the problem with Luke cage and iron fist was the drop in quality baddies, expecting defenders to suffer from it too, punisher needs a good one 

Jessica jones 2 - 

Spoiler

I don't know how they'll do it, probably flashbacks, but david tenants back for series 2

17 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Any idea on the antagonist?

part of the problem with Luke cage and iron fist was the drop in quality baddies, expecting defenders to suffer from it too, punisher needs a good one 

Jessica jones 2 - 

Hide contents

I don't know how they'll do it, probably flashbacks, but david tenants back for series 2

Jigsaw presumably. They've cast someone to play his character pre-**** face. Unless they do an Iron Fist and do his origin with another villain driving the plot.

Cage's big problem was it's **** dull. The villains undermine it but mostly because it wastes the good ones and teleports in a terrible one. And had a whole minor subplot that deals with a solution to the Cage 'problem' in the most utterly brain-dead way. But even without that it's horrendously boring. A dull character with a dull story. But it has hip hop! Yeah...

Iron Fist is more complex. The villains aren't great but they die due to the plot **** up. It tries to do too much, a lot of it badly, and ends up a bit of a jumble. And they did the wrong stories. And they did it cheap. And they seemed embarrassed of the character. And they did the action badly. Despite that it's still ok and the villains could be worse. They just aren't done right. Big Iron Fist villains are Steel Serpent and the Meachums. They wanted to do the Hand... I could do a better plot arc here and now that ticks the boxes they wanted but they wanted it cheap and Buck is a hack.

Punisher only really has Jigsaw as a nemesis IIRC. And you don't really need to do much amazing with that story. Equally it's not such an iconic one you can't mess with it. And they definitely, definitely will.

Punishers big problem is he's very one note. His best stuff in the comics is either as a villain really (at best very dark anti hero), a bit part supporting cast, or very noir, much wider plots. He in a show of his own, with his style, will wear thin quickly. His style is to kill mercilessly. A villain dies. 13 episodes of that? Hmm. So it's obvious either we have an absentee villain or the villain hides in plain site. Given the cast, I'll leave it up to you to decide which...

First episode of the Defenders is.. Well what you'd expect really. It's good to see Murdock and Jones back, it looks mostly good and err... Not a huge amount happens. It basically reintroduces all the cast and gives everyone a plot (...sorta) that will obviously lead to the team up. An enjoyable start but nothing earth shattering.

Couple of downs. The fight it opens with they decide to shoot in a dark tunnel with odd states of light and everything shoot in shadow. It looks crap and it's irritating to follow.

They have made a choice to assign each the Defenders a colour palette. In effect this means loads of Daredevil scenes are bathed in red, Jones blues and purples, Cage yellow etc. It can be subtle. But it often isn't. There's a really ugly Cage scene for instance that is so saturated yellow it almost looks like a dodgy transfer or something.

And another silly Cage problem. You could be blind with the dialogue off and know it's his scene. Why? His scenes have hip hop soundtracks. Really badly incongruous ones. It's really badly done. Laughably so.

But a decent start.

Â