Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

3 hours ago, Midfielder said:

You're on. Haven't watched any yet but "hood, albino dude, fight, prison" gotcha

mention of OTT violence conjures up images of Bottom where Richie and Eddie would go to town on each other with a cricket bat or frying pan, doubt that's what you mean tho! Banshee... will start tomorrow night. Cheers 

Tits, OTT violence and more tits. 

What more do you want? Oh, how about a maniac henchman in a bow-tie? Done! 

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Really?

I liked Grimm, starts slow but gets better.

The wife is annoying as hell though (seems to be a common theme in a lot of shows - breaking bad, sons of anarchy etc).

I'm not sure why, but in my second time through Breaking Bad, I sympathised a lot more with Skylar.

First time round I was Team Walt all the way. I mean, she did FT, after all.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Financial Times? :blush:

Nah, there's an episode titled IFT and you only find out what it stands for with the last line before the credits roll.

I was late on with Breaking Bad. Somehow missed all the chatter, all the cool kids were into it from the start I and discovered it two years ago, didn't know what to expect, amazing series. Knew from episode one, this has something... this is special. reading Ginko mentioning it brings back a lot of memories of binge watching and just-one-more-episode robbing of sleep on week night pre work. Sign of a good series. Breaking Bad, hail!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Tits, OTT violence and more tits. 

What more do you want? Oh, how about a maniac henchman in a bow-tie? Done! 

Interesting.... will have a butchers tomorrow and feed back. I'm quite adept at dissecting a pilot episode so looking forward to it. 

TV? What's that? I won't know til tomorrow all I have is a transistor radio and Talksport for this eve! Some beers (resting on the window sill outside as a makeshift fridge) some cigars and behold, no yapping dogs. Slumming it at me "nowts-connected-yet" gaff, complete with bubble wrap for a mattress and a sleeping bag. So I'll just spend a while imagining some TV instead. It's like 1980s in Romania. 

Edit. Fking jinxed myself. Dogs

Edited by Midfielder

Shades of Blue. About a corrupt team of cops. Not exactly award winning stuff but it has Jenni from da block Lopez for the glamour (ok, so she's a crap actress and a diva but for a man of my age, the amount of low cut tops she wears is laaaaverly !) and Ray Liotta for the acting credibility angle.

It's not up there with breaking bad, the wire or sons of anarchy but it passes time :)

3 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Shades of Blue. About a corrupt team of cops. Not exactly award winning stuff but it has Jenni from da block Lopez for the glamour (ok, so she's a crap actress and a diva but for a man of my age, the amount of low cut tops she wears is laaaaverly !) and Ray Liotta for the acting credibility angle.

It's not up there with breaking bad, the wire or sons of anarchy but it passes time :)

I'm sorted for telly for a bit. Well, when I say telly I pretty much mean box sets, only tend to watch the footie, some nascar, f1, some rugby league ... But thanks will bear it in mind for when done with Justified and.... Banshee. 

So..it's a big thing starting a new series, investing like all those hours into something that could be productively spent elsewhere. So I'm judgemental, will know in minutes if I'm gonna enjoy it or not, think I will with this. 

Banshee, thoughts....

Did episode 1, pilot. Regardless of the proof of concept point of a pilot, as far as pilots go it was a good one, hard to squeeze in a lot of characters and just-enough-about-them to go off but did well. Outlines the conflicts to come internal and external to Hood, well, the new Hood.

interesting that as a criminal he is now a sheriff, and while bad at heart still shows morality throughout particularly with the Amish guy taking a beating and the bartenders title belt yet at the same time not giving a damn about his ex's new life and wanting her to stick two fingers up to it. So neither good nor evil, just a flawed antihero... Scared of the mayor interview and slept on hard floor not the bed, waking with nightmares, clearly still haunted by the diamond heist gone wrong / the rabbit guy.

so yeah interesting. Conflict in that way too, as in its hanging over him that Rabbit is actively looking for him still and on top of this the evil of the local kingpin Proctor. Makes me think such things as 

how long can Hood stay on the side of good when effectively living a lie

when will Rabbit find Banshee town

Just how big an adversary will Proctor become and also in comparison to Rabbit

Will one day even, adversaries be played off each other, or siding with one to defeat another maybd

If one day he faces compromise by someone who is familiar with the real Hood and potentially outing him as a fraud...

Clearly from now it said the girl is sort of 15/16 and a little tear away that she is his daughter...but how's that gonna pan out

And just in general, being a leader of a police team when deep down you're a f----d up semi-psycho fresh out of jail...

Just some thoughts, but enough thoughts to bother with and carry on to more episodes for sure so cheers for the heads up. I'm giving it a good 6/10 for the pilot but think it'll even out as things go on, and into a sort of more regular episode format. Interesting characters, that fit, especially as I want to see more of the gay / cross dressing Chinese dude who clearly is some technological / weapons / explosives expert / ex intelligence type wiz, who may be on his way down to Banshee himself, after blowing his gaff up, where again more conflict with him being a fish out of water, quirky sort of character who adds something different. And I get the feeling that "Hood" , hoods ex and the Chinese guy were a team of three in the diamond heist , maybe. So why not reunite them. Conflict for her too as she's a model mum with the ideal setup, now conflicted by Hoods return and deep down her actual criminal origin, and that well.... I'd Rabbit ever finds Hood, he finds her too, and having family at stake...and the finding of the Chinese dude if he moves to Banshee, all of them potentially eggs in one basket For her, for Hood.... Interesting themes, living a lie, living under a false name, the pair of them, having to maintain a new identity and ALL what is to come with that... I wonder how many episodes it's gonna take for hood and her to bone, and eventually her husband maybe even turning on Hood, and possibly even as good-DA  turning heel and possibly becoming bad-DA, maybe even to side with Procgor st some point if Hood becomes the common enemy. 

Plus Xela was right, few titties on display so far. Took a couple of scene s to get the first pair in, but just to show "hoods" alpha ness on getting out of jail and pulling like that. Shock and awe opening , as you said OTT, but not full on Jason Statham type OTT... Some good filming that made it fun to watch too, but like Utopia at times, the focus and blur, fast and slow motion.... And use of music in those times. I'll look back at this post after finishing all series. Never heard of it til yesterday. 

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 2

On 09/04/2017 at 11:53, osmark86 said:

The expanse. One of the finest sci-fi shows I've seen.

are you basing that on 1 episode, 1 season or the whole lot?

is it funny, serious, light-hearted, etc?

I've been looking for a good sci-fi series to get into.

• Like 1

Line of Duty 

wow

Don't open the spoiler if you haven't seen s4 e3

what do people think about Steve?

whilst I find it hard to see them killing him off, the groundwork was laid for it with the new guy on the team, and Steve and Kate's make-up curry. Not sure how you survive that attack but maybe he'll live with mental or physical complications.

we are definitely meant to think balaclava man is the husband (well predicted earlier in this thread!) but would he be carrying the black pullover and balaclava with him AND have time to put them on while steve is in the lift?

in any case, very much looking forward to next week!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

are you basing that on 1 episode, 1 season or the whole lot?

is it funny, serious, light-hearted, etc?

I've been looking for a good sci-fi series to get into.

No, I'm basing it on season 1 & 2. It's a well thought out political drama based on potential technological advances. I really recommend it.

Edit: More of a drama since you asked. If you enjoy hard sci fi go for it

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, chappy said:

Line of Duty 

wow

Don't open the spoiler if you haven't seen s4 e3

Hide contents

what do people think about Steve?

whilst I find it hard to see them killing him off, the groundwork was laid for it with the new guy on the team, and Steve and Kate's make-up curry. Not sure how you survive that attack but maybe he'll live with mental or physical complications.

we are definitely meant to think balaclava man is the husband (well predicted earlier in this thread!) but would he be carrying the black pullover and balaclava with him AND have time to put them on while steve is in the lift?

in any case, very much looking forward to next week!

Spoiler

After the first episode I alluded to the fact in this thread that the series have got increasingly 'silly' as they've gone on. I don't mean that in a negative way, they're by no means less gripping or thrilling, but I recall watching the first series as a very good, but regimented police drama. It feels bigger than that now, which is good - but I believe if this was an earlier series he would be dead, no question. He was chucked from, what, a third story height? On to concrete stairs. People have survived worse falls, and survive he may, but as you say he should have life altering injuries at the very least. If he doesn't it will severely hamper my enjoyment of the show, unfortunately.

What I would enjoy seeing is a bitter and twisted medically discharged Arnott trying, but not being allowed to, crack a case. Maybe not necessarily this one, it could be in the next series.

In regards to Huntley's husband, first of all yes he is the murdering ballaclava man. However, I'm not certain if he was the Arnott-chucking ballaclava man. We saw Huntley's husband try to contact 'Jimmy' a number of times - this is either a ) his on-standby 'heavy' whom he instructed to put on a ballaclava purposely, or b ) the new guy in the office, there was something about his name that was mentioned that struck me as odd. Or maybe that's just me not being able to shake the fact the actor was the boyfriend in 'Murdered by my Boyfriend'? He was in the office so couldn't of been physically there, but maybe he put things in to motion to have someone intercept Arnott? I probably also hoping for a Dott Cottan mkII here, wrongly so.

I can't figure the angle for the Huntley's husband really; he's been backed in to a corner and panicked, clearly, so has either disposed of Arnott himself or had someone else do it for him. Where will he go now though? What will he do? The implications for his wife are dire after this, everything she's done to cover for him is going to unravel fast. She's going to be under even greater scrutiny now, but he probably won't realise that as I don't believe he knows about what she's been doing for him. 

I think the thing I like best about the show is that it's on a par with the best of American dramas for twists and turns, but is so British at the same time.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 2

Â