Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Surprised iron fist got negative reviews three episodes in and I'm hooked

IMDB - 7.5

RT audience - 81%

RT critics - 17%

I think it's partially down to how dumb the RT rating system is, but critics often miss the point when reviewing things. "forget how enjoyable it is, will it add anything significant to the history of TV/film? NO, I GIVE IT ZERO!" 

I do think the user scores are a little high, though. 

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

IMDB - 7.5

RT audience - 81%

RT critics - 17%

I think it's partially down to how dumb the RT rating system is, but critics often miss the point when reviewing things. "forget how enjoyable it is, will it add anything significant to the history of TV/film? NO, I GIVE IT ZERO!" 

I do think the user scores are a little high, though. 

Did you enjoy it Kurt?

The critics have been overly harsh on it. Many have been completely unable to divorce the diversity thing from the actual merits of the show, I think a few have criticised it for not being some worthy thing with much message or subtext. Daredevil wasn't either but it does pulp better than Iron Fist.

I found it to be OK, serviceable. It should have been far better, but it's not as dreadful as critics would have you think. For reference of you'd have replaced Finn Jones with someone of Asian descent the show would retain the same problems. If you'd cast a better martial artist you'd have a better show. If the thing was written better, you'd have a better show. But as is it's OK fluff that disappoints for what it could have been.

It's better than the apparently worthy Luke Cage though. As weak as it is, I never found it boring. The same is not true of Harlem's hero.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Designer1 said:

There's this annoying trend in trailers at the minute where a well known (usually pop) song gets slowed down or recorded by a different artist in a melancholic style.

It worked on a few initially but it feels like it's every other trailer now.

Not just trailers.  I find it more annoying when someone does a lovely version of an old song and it's not available anywhere, because the company haven't released it.  Case in point is Audi & Homeward Bound by Gina Kushka (Youtube ad for ref) but there are others too :rant: 

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Did you enjoy it Kurt?

Somewhat. I'd agree in large parts with what @Chindie said. 

It wasn't as well written as Daredevil season 1 or Jessica Jones and didn't have the entertainment value of a Daredevil season 2. A better martial artist as the lead would've improved the show massively, because Iron Fist came across as a bit weak and amateur, rather than someone that'd been training his whole life. 

I think it was a solid 5 or 6 out of 10, personally.  Critics came down on it far too hard. 17% is a pretty absurd rating for it. But as Chindie mentioned above, the diversity issue seems to be a sticking point and the rating seems too heavily rated on that. Which also explains the 96% that Luke Cage got. A show that was pretty much the sum of all the complaints people have about the superhero genre, mashed together. 

Its a complaint I've always had of critics though. They completely ignore entertainment value in things. Daredevil season 1 is better than season 2, but the level of entertainment the second season has means I'm more likely to rewatch that if given the choice. 

Edited by kurtsimonw

Having seen the Rio Ferdinand documentary , and having always had a liking for him , as a player and as a seemingly decent lad , that opinion is now confirmed .

His honesty about the difficulty in dealing with grief, was painfully moving , and I take my hat off to him for having the courage to share that pain so openly . Hopefully,   others who have gone through similar heartbreak found some comfort from it . I hope so .

13 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Surprised iron fist got negative reviews three episodes in and I'm hooked

The main bloke is really badly cast imo it should have shit hot martial arts and it hasn't, the fight scenes are nowhere near good enough, I've just watched episode 6 directed by RZA and you can see the difference with a man who loves the genre

the brother and sister story arc is boring as **** too

Edited by villa4europe

5 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Somewhat. I'd agree in large parts with what @Chindie said. 

It wasn't as well written as Daredevil season 1 or Jessica Jones and didn't have the entertainment value of a Daredevil season 2. A better martial artist as the lead would've improved the show massively, because Iron Fist came across as a bit weak and amateur, rather than someone that'd been training his whole life. 

I think it was a solid 5 or 6 out of 10, personally.  Critics came down on it far too hard. 17% is a pretty absurd rating for it. But as Chindie mentioned above, the diversity issue seems to be a sticking point and the rating seems too heavily rated on that. Which also explains the 96% that Luke Cage got. A show that was pretty much the sum of all the complaints people have about the superhero genre, mashed together. 

Its a complaint I've always had of critics though. They completely ignore entertainment value in things. Daredevil season 1 is better than season 2, but the level of entertainment the second season has means I'm more likely to rewatch that if given the choice. 

'Critics' decide individually, not en masse, so 17% isn't an absurd rating, it's just the % of critics that enjoyed it. 

39 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The main bloke is really badly cast imo it should have shit hot martial arts and it hasn't, the fight scenes are nowhere near good enough, I've just watched episode 6 directed by RZA and you can see the difference with a man who loves the genre

the brother and sister story arc is boring as **** too

I also think Jones is miscast (and given a poor hand to play with), he isn't a good enough martial artist by any means and he struggles a bit with the script, even if it is poor. Apparently he only had a couple of weeks training and 'learnt' fights 15 mins before filming so I guess you can cut him some slack, but he's still not good. Of course theres a couple of easy ways around the problems with the fight scenes and Jones skill, but the show does neither...

Episode 6 is my favourite episode, mostly because it is heavily inspired by the best run of Iron Fist... But it takes ideas it could use for 4 episodes, or even a series to be honest, and does it in an episode. It's the first time the series feels prepared to shrug off how daft it is, and even with weak fight scenes is still fun.

It should be so simple to make a great Iron Fist show and set up a brilliant Defenders team up. And they missed more or less every step on the road to doing it. Instead of incredible, we get OK.

Scott Buck, the show runner, is doing Inhumans at the moment. Given the obvious trouble he has with Iron Fists' dafter moments, Inhumans fans (all 4 of them) should be bricking it. He can't handle a magic kungfu story? What's he going to do with weird royal family of misfit mutants who live in a magic city with a bulldog the size of a car, whose most interesting character has a completely stupid costume and doesn't speak, and other characters that vary between dreadful and boring, with a few that will blow the effects budget in seconds? He couldn't handle having a glowing fist on screen for more than about 5 minutes, he's got a character now that has magic hair with a mind of it's own.

Just finished Jessica Jones, thought it was really good and enjoyable. Started off a little slow, but soon couldn't wait to see next episode.

The two leads were excellent, especially Tennant.

Wasn't a fan of Spencer character/story arc though.

Could someone who reads the comics @Chindie probably? Explain why Cage is considered as powerful as Captain America, I mean he's strong and skin is  impregnable whereas America's skin can be broken can be killed I believe? (I'm not a fan of CA from the films, so I may be biased).

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Critics' decide individually, not en masse, so 17% isn't an absurd rating, it's just the % of critics that enjoyed it. 

Which is why I did say that the ratings are partially down to the rating system RT uses being stupid. 

But even so, for only 17% of critics to enjoy Iron Fist and 96% of them to enjoy Luke Cage is absurd IMO. 

58 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Which is why I did say that the ratings are partially down to the rating system RT uses being stupid. 

But even so, for only 17% of critics to enjoy Iron Fist and 96% of them to enjoy Luke Cage is absurd IMO. 

I know I'm being annoying and being pernickety, but as I said, the overall % cannot be absurd, it's just a total. What I think you really mean is that it's absurd for anyone to like Luke Cage but not like Iron Fist if they are judging both fairly, and you may very well be right about that (I haven't seen either series). 

EDIT: I do also agree about the RT rating system. It's stupid. Lots and lots of reviews can not and should not be forced into a binary 'good or bad' distinction, and there is a problem of 'herding' amongst critics generally. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

Legion. Couple of episodes in, not just a refreshing take on a superhero, but a refreshing take on dealing with a character with mental illness, a surprisingly effective psychological horror at times, and it looks and sounds great. Overall all, I'd say it's 

LNtElui.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Legion. Couple of episodes in, not just a refreshing take on a superhero, but a refreshing take on dealing with a character with mental illness, a surprisingly effective psychological horror at times, and it looks and sounds great. Overall all, I'd say it's 

LNtElui.gif

Wait until you get to episode 4 onwards and realise Aubrey Plaza is the best superhero villain since Heath Ledger. 

Edited by wazzap24

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I know I'm being annoying and being pernickety, but as I said, the overall % cannot be absurd, it's just a total. What I think you really mean is that it's absurd for anyone to like Luke Cage but not like Iron Fist if they are judging both fairly, and you may very well be right about that (I haven't seen either series). 

EDIT: I do also agree about the RT rating system. It's stupid. Lots and lots of reviews can not and should not be forced into a binary 'good or bad' distinction, and there is a problem of 'herding' amongst critics generally. 

I disagree with your first point, agree with your second. 

8 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Could someone who reads the comics @Chindie probably? Explain why Cage is considered as powerful as Captain America, I mean he's strong and skin is  impregnable whereas America's skin can be broken can be killed I believe? (I'm not a fan of CA from the films, so I may be biased).

Cage's origin is he was involved in an experiment to try to recreate the super soldier experiment that created Cap, but it is tampered with and ends up changing his physiology to give him unbreakable skin and super strength. He's stronger than Cap and he's one of the most durable characters going given his skin can't be harmed (though he can be hurt by blunt force strong enough to cause internal injury and he can become ill/poisoned etc).

Cap is just the absolute peak of human capability in every facet - he's as fast as a human could be, as strong as a human could be, his endurance is as good as a human could be, his immune system and healing is as a good as a human could be constantly, etc etc. Cage has some powers that are beyond that, the strength and the unbreakable skin, but is otherwise normal. Cap would struggle to defeat Cage in a fight despite being more a capable a fighter (in canon he's one of the best hand to hand fighters possible) and faster and more durable, because Cage's strength is such one punch could finish it and Cap can't hit him hard enough to hurt him.

• Like 2

Â