Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Amazon saying that Lords of the Rings will be out Sept 2022. Will be so interesting how they compare to the Jackson films. Guessing they will flesh out the story more (how I hear you ask)and we’ll get Tom Bombadil. 

Be brilliant if its an upgrade on the trilogy. I never read the books but people say the movies were a poor imitation, hoping for the best.

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Be brilliant if its an upgrade on the trilogy. I never read the books but people say the movies were a poor imitation, hoping for the best.

I've both read the books and seen the films, and I wouldn't have said they were 'a poor imitation' or anything like that negative. They're good films!

(The Hobbit films, on the other hand . . .)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've both read the books and seen the films, and I wouldn't have said they were 'a poor imitation' or anything like that negative. They're good films!

(The Hobbit films, on the other hand . . .)

They are great films, love them. 

Opinions vary I guess, my Mother example often feels let down by book adaptions, saying the book was better most times. She has formed a visualisation and the film doesn't match up etc Especially GOT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

I’ve read and watched them all. The movies were for not a poor imitation. They were excellent. Some hard core fans didn’t rate them as they left some stuff out, but that’s only because there was so much source material. Let’s not forget there were 3 films each over 3 hrs. Couldn’t really put much more in. I think that’s why the tv programmes could be interesting as they can put more stuff in. 
I’m very excited by the prospect. 

@HanoiVillan is correct the Hobbit films were appalling, but that’s because they went the opposite way to get money. The source material is small and they wanted to make 3 films out of it so changed and created new story lines.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve read and watched them all. The movies were for not a poor imitation. They were excellent. Some hard core fans didn’t rate them as they left some stuff out, but that’s only because there was so much source material. Let’s not forget there were 3 films each over 3 hrs. Couldn’t really put much more in. I think that’s why the tv programmes could be interesting as they can put more stuff in. 

@HanoiVillan is correct the Hobbit films were appalling, but that’s because they went the opposite way to get money. The source material is small and they wanted to make 3 films out of it so changed and created new story lines.

The trilogy would have made a better series, like 3 series of 8 or something like that and the hobbit just one movie. They sort went for cash stretching the hobbit out, I presume they were still quite profitable even being not great.

Really looking forward to what's coming on amazon, they've spent a fortune on the budget so I'm expecting it to look good, just hope it has heart.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Grinding through the 4th and final season of Good Girls. To be fair it's better than season three by some way.

The scene where Hendricks strips down to just her black socks in front of Rio (to prove she wasn't wearing a wire, partially) was hugely erotic considering you don't actually see anything.

VPN as not out in UK till end of August?

36 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Hopefully they should be good. However, I'm not sure how they'll add Old Tom in and do him justice without causing too many unanswered questions for a TV show intended for mainstream audiences. Love the character but there's a reason he's usually left out. 

I've never gone from being so excited about a film as Guillermo Del Toro making the Hobbit as that's my favourite book and a brilliant director to being so disappointed with the end product. Honestly wish they'd never been made. Completely ruined Beorn for me and all the made up nonsense. 

• Like 1

Just now, rjw63 said:

Final season of Goliath is back in September, one for the diary.

Yes marked on my calendar for sure. I have always thought Billy Bob Thornton is an exceptional actor.

Sling Blade one of the best movies I have ever seen.

• Like 1

Have none of you got Google?! I didn't think the series had anything to do with the books, just checked and apparently it's set in the 2nd age. 

I assume it will either be focused on Numenor or the forging of the rings going through to the Last Alliance battle.

The Lord of the Rings series will take place 3000 years or more before the events in The Lord of the Rings. It's based on the stories in Silmarillion. So hopefully they'll refrain from bringing back Orlando Bloom.

Could be a great show, so much potentially epic stuff to use for the stories and I hope they don't get too creative when they flesh it out.

The one I'm really looking forward to is the The Wheel of Time series that starts in November, also on Amazon Prime. It's another great massive fantasy story with 14 books, 12.000 pages and something like 3000 named characters :D 

Sadly I fear they will change too much as it's obviously not only for the fans but if they get it right it could be great.

• Thanks 1

watched lochdown the other night

its missing something and i dont know exactly what it is, firstly im not sure if its because i've been there and i know where they are and personally i think they made 2 mistakes, firstly glen coe and the A82 is a nicer drive, thats where the real scotland money shots are, secondly i dont think they actually go for that many money shots, they dont actually make scotland look that interesting, its not a sponsored by the scottish tourism board show by any stretch, there's only a couple of "wow wheres that" style shots, they've undersold the location badly resulting in it not really working for me, neither do the cars or the entire concept, the whole japes in massive cars thing is only a thing in Edinburgh (which again they undersell) and after watching clarksons farm its back to being charmless which is a shame

i can appreciate that they struggled with covid but it feels phoned in, feels like a contractual obligation ticked off rather than something they put full effort in to or really wanted to do, maybe an off road across the highlands in electric 4x4s thing would have been better because i would guess that large parts of the highlands are simply not ready for electric cars, i dunno hard to try and guess what cars suit each setting

also surprising lack of trump golf course gags seeing as they went all in with the american stuff

The LOTR show is dealing with the events that happened prior to the LOTR story. So the Second Age - the fall of Numenor, the greatest kingdom of Man who eventually became so grand that they rejected the gods, the rise of Sauron, the creation of the One Ring, and ultimately the vanquishing of Sauron.

The image released the other day was interesting as it shows the Trees of the Valinor, who were destroyed in the First Age by Sauron's master and Shelob's ancestor. But the show apparently isn't dealing with any First Age stuff, so it must be a flashback.

Also Lenny Henry is in it.

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Definitely not a comedy, then.

Given that anyone not pearly white in the LOTR is invariably evil, you can probably take solace in assuming his character is in with a decent shot of getting his head cut off. Unless it's just his voice being used - in which case maybe not.

• Haha 1

Â