Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Did anyone see "Hospital 1 of 6" on the BBC last week ?

I thought it was very interesting but if this is the current state of the NHS then it's too broke to fix.  If they changed it to black and white it could easily be set in the 1950's,  it's basically a massive "Rob Peter to Pay Paul" exercise (That uses everybody's time and energy) with people having Cancer operations cancelled over and over but then told that if some woman dies on the way to the hospital then happy days for you as you can have your Op. 

Absolutely shocking,  surgeon's spending all day waiting to see if they can do their job.

On 13/01/2017 at 10:33, dAVe80 said:

Watched the first two episodes of Quarry last night, which is shaping up very nicely. Reminiscent of True Detective, I thought. Interesting to see where it's going.

I started it too and I'm told it's a slow burner but to absolutely stick with it. I'll be going back to it soon :thumb:

Just came in here to say I've decided to get in on the ground floor with Tom Hardy's Taboo.  Rather than my usual tactic of waiting for everyone else to recommend it after the event :)

27 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Did anyone see "Hospital 1 of 6" on the BBC last week ?

I thought it was very interesting but if this is the current state of the NHS then it's too broke to fix.  If they changed it to black and white it could easily be set in the 1950's,  it's basically a massive "Rob Peter to Pay Paul" exercise (That uses everybody's time and energy) with people having Cancer operations cancelled over and over but then told that if some woman dies on the way to the hospital then happy days for you as you can have your Op. 

Absolutely shocking,  surgeon's spending all day waiting to see if they can do their job.

Haven't seen it and this is probably for another thread but it's not that bad. The only actual major problems are that they need about twice as many front line staff as they have and the pay needs upping for everyone below consultant.

On 15/01/2017 at 12:19, Chindie said:

I've been very slowly watching Vikings from the beginning.

I kinda like it, despite some godawful acting and very liberal interpretation of history, but **** hell it just feels slow. Every episode feels about 6 times longer than it is.

Got to the last but one episode of series one and cannot generate the interest to get back into it. Its not GOT by any standards

10 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Haven't seen it and this is probably for another thread but it's not that bad. The only actual major problems are that they need about twice as many front line staff as they have and the pay needs upping for everyone below consultant.

It came across as they have enough people,  in fact they have enough so that 5 or 6 of them wait all day to do an OP and then it's cancelled.

It's all about beds and getting people out of them.  Nobody ever mentioned staff,  only beds.  So in this hospital they have 16 ICU beds but they need a lot more to provide a good service.  

Just now, Xela said:

I feel Sherlock has run its course. Too self indulgent now. It's disappeared up its own arse. 

Been trying to watch the first episode of Sherlock for the past week, every time I start to watch it I get bored. I think you're right, it's lost whatever it was it did have.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Been trying to watch the first episode of Sherlock for the past week, every time I start to watch it I get bored. I think you're right, it's lost whatever it was it did have.

Th first episode is probably the least self indulgent of the three! The next two, I can only assume the writers were either bored, or high. 

• Like 1

did that last series IMO, ive had it on in the background whilst the missus watched it, last night had a couple of moments but other than that from what i saw its been pretty poor, it kind of peaked with the ending of series 2 and at the same time they robbed themselves of a great character that they then shoe horned in afterwards

15 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Moffat is a truly dreadful writer.

I'm also not convinced that he or anyone else working on the show understand why series 1 was so well liked.

Elementary is a far better Sherlock Holmes programme.

They should get Anthony Horowitz to do a series, he's written the two latest Sherlock Holmes/Moriarty books and they're decent and he has a shitload of TV crime writing credits.  But then perhaps the BBC aren't really interested in the mystery side of it, just the style.

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Got to the last but one episode of series one and cannot generate the interest to get back into it. Its not GOT by any standards

Season 1 was the best of the 4 seasons.. so if you can't get into that season, then i wouldn't bother.

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

They should get Anthony Horowitz to do a series, he's written the two latest Sherlock Holmes/Moriarty books and they're decent and he has a shitload of TV crime writing credits.  But then perhaps the BBC aren't really interested in the mystery side of it, just the style.

Sherlock sadly became style over substance, it didnt start that way though.

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

Precisely why I like it. Couldn't get past episode 1 of GoT. 

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

It got better for me when King Ecbert came into it. the Vince McMahon of the viking era

Had to Google. Might have known it would be somebody to do with **** ing wrestling. Anyhoo, Ecbert. Played by Linus Roach, son of Ken Barlow. Channeling Leslie Phillips. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

I've never watched an episode of Sherlock, but given that Cumberbatch is increasingly a Hollywood darling I'd imagine he's going to be too busy to do it.

As much of a panning as this season has (rightly) recieved, it's definitely worth watching season 1 & 2. Only a few hours of TV, and it's absolutely fantastic from start to finish. I think it was one of the best TV shows that's been made in this country for a years before Moffat went full Doctor Who.

• Like 3

Â