Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Finished A Series of Unfortunate Events the other night.

Started superbly, I wasn't sure of NPH's Count Olaf at first but his disguised characters were superb.

It started brilliantly and got better. Patrick Warburton as Lemony Snicket is sublime.

Watch it.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Started superbly, I wasn't sure of NPH's Count Olaf at first but his disguised characters were superb.

It started brilliantly and got better. Patrick Warburton as Lemony Snicket is sublime.

Watch it.

I watched the first half hour and was totally bored. I think it's the kind of thing I have to be in the mood for though so I might revisit.

18 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I watched the first half hour and was totally bored. I think it's the kind of thing I have to be in the mood for though so I might revisit.

I'm the same with anything new. I need a couple of episodes to decide if it's going to grab me or not

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Watch it.

Yep, it's God damn superb.

I literally cannot fault it tbh.

Just finished "Freaks and Geeks".

It's pretty good. Not sure it's quite deserving of the (admittedly cult) status it gained but not a bad watch, even just to spot the sheer amount of now famous people that are in it.

It also seems to be commonly referred to as a sitcom. It's not. it's very much a teen drama, I'd say. There are funny parts, but if you're expecting lot of jokes/comedy then you'll be disappointed.

Edited by Stevo985

Finished "The Night Of".

Generally I thought it was very good. Jon Turturro is absolutely excellent throughout. 

Bit spoilery:

Spoiler

I loved the part about the actual murder. The evidence gathering and the "whodunnit" aspect of it, plus all the courtroom stuff. That part of it was great.

What I didn't like were the prison bits. That just seemed way too forced and I think they did a poor job of putting over how much time was passing. I guess it was a long time and so his descent into drugs and tattoos etc makes more sense. But that length of time was portrayed poorly and it made it seem like he turned into that over the space of about 4 days :) 

I also don't like how monumentally stupid Riz Ahmed's character is. He's meant to be a tutor. A college graduate and generally smart guy. Yet pretty much every thing he does in the show is ridiculously idiotic. If you wrote a book of "how to look as guilty of a crime as possible" then it would read like his actions in that show

So yeah, I liked it, but it has its flaws.

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

Anyone else think the first few episodes of the new season of Always Sunny have been a bit naff? I know there's a few fans on here. Just doesn't feel the same to me.

Waiting for it to come on Netflix.

I didn't think last season was quite all there either. They've covered so much stuff it must be difficult to come up with anything new. But it's still funnier than 99% of the other stuff on TV so always worth watching.

Just started the wire onto episode 4 now. It's pretty heavy going so far but enjoying it. Only thing I'm struggling with is one of the main guys appears to be Adam Sandlers dopey teammate from The Waterboy and I'm finding it hard to take him seriously!

Dream casting for Good Omens?

Crowley - Tom Hiddleston. It'll never, ever happen, but I struggle to think of anyone better that jumps immediately to mind. Whoever it is, it has to be someone effortlessly cool and cosmopolitan, but able to portray a very slightly sinister anger behind it. British please. Aiden Turner might be a decent shout.

Aziraphale - a slightly bumbling Englishman with more than a hint of gay about him, someone you could only imagine wearing a cardigan... A lot of people will want Stephen Fry, and great as he is, he'll be basically playing Stephen Fry, which I don't think is quite right. Also too old IMO, and he's to imposing a figure in stature. Another Brit please. Again not a chance... But Ewen McGregor? Martin Freeman? David Thewliss?

Anathema - Claire Foy. Has to be British, has to be a little 'dark' and mysterious but also very confident, and attractive but not obviously so. Eva Green is a decent shout but is slightly too obviously 'Hollywood hot' for the role, and plays too unhinged.

Agnes Nutter - Julie Walters. I'll accept no substitutes.

Newt - Charlie Cox. Another Brit, has to be able to play an awkward geek but also has to be the kind of person who would be considered handsome if he had confidence. Domnhall Gleeson? Can also use this actor to play his ancestor. Kit Harrington?

Shadwell - in my head Shadwell is a dead ringer for Rade Serbedzija (thanks Google), but he has to be belligerently Scottish with an accent all over the place. Peter Mullan? David Bradley having a laugh with accents?

Madame Tracy - Julia Deakin. Literally perfect for the part.

Red - this has always been Famke Jansson circa Goldeneye rocking a very stereotypical American accent to me, but she's too old now. I can't think of an American woman who can play a sharply attractive redhead, but also clearly dangerous. Whoever this is you have to want her but know she'll cut you. Kate Mara?

Sable - intensely cool but uncaring and aloof, pristine... The kind of person you could imagine running a more overtly evil Apple. Must be played American. Basically Mads Mikkelson with a taut, sharp Californian accent. Not a chance he'd do it though. Anthony Mackie? Bryan Cranston given a sharp makeover?

Mr White - a younger actor who can play sickly... Lank white/bleach blond hair, pale. Alfie Allen, playing younger?

Azrael - this is a very difficult one. To be truly accurate you only really need the voice, as you never see a face. And the voice is basically Christopher Lee. Can't call this one. Needs to be someone with a very very deep, ominous, slow voice, with RP British accent, and some age and authority to it. The physical side just needs to be someone bloody tall and fairly thin.

The Them - so long as they've got a bunch of British kids and they're decent actors, this doesn't really matter.

Shove Paddy Considine (Mr Young), Eddie Marsan (the indignant neighbour), Andy Serkis/Tim Spall/Gary Oldman/Idris Elba/Toby Young/Tilda Swinton (the Metatron) as various supporting cast angels and demons cameos... 

Shoot the whole thing in Cotswolds.

Awesome.

I'll change half those dream castings by the end of the day, but those feel right now.

I hope that Gaiman can fight to keep the soul of thing British. It just doesn't work with it changing to America, so many of the characters are defined by being British, the humour is British, most of the setting is an idealised British village... Don't Americanise it please. There are characters that need to be American, leave it there.

Edited by Chindie

On 22.1.2017 at 14:17, Ginko said:

Anyone else think the first few episodes of the new season of Always Sunny have been a bit naff? I know there's a few fans on here. Just doesn't feel the same to me.

The waterpark one was okay and the moms-sitcom one was excellent, I thought. I cringe at musicals though.. I had to turn it off.

Thought the latest episode was the worst so far and the water park one is the best but still not great. Mac and Dee's story was boring and it would have been funnier if Dennis played the kid instead of the other way round, I think.

Not like I'm going to stop watching, I'm sure there'll be some classics episodes like always.

Â