Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

I have to agree with the other posters, Carew can offer something for at least another year, if we're going to sell ant striker it should be Heskey. Although yes, he hasnt been as consistent (well he never has been), on his day he in unplayable, Big, strong, and skillfull with a deadly finish. ON HIS DAY!. So useful enough to have as at least an option, I think when the team gets better overall we will start to see the best out of our top players.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to give an actual repsonse or just post :crylaugh: ?

FWIW, I completely agree with AVFC-POB, maybe not sell him, but we play awful, awful football when he is in the team.

You talking to me?

If so then yes, I'll stick with the :crylaugh:

I don't hate Carew. He was one of my favourite Villa players especially in the 07-08 season., I just happen to think the way we want to play and the style of our midfielders and team don't now suit his style of play and he holds his back and doesn't fit into the team as well as he used too as well as his level of his consistancy has dropped over the past years. Don't think he's the same since that back injury last year. He's not going to get any better and the team has averaged more goals, conceded less, and won more points per minute/match with him OUT the team than him in the team despite the fact the games Carew played in, 15 of them were against mid-table and lower teams, and without Carew, only 9 games against teams in mid-table or lower.

I'm sorry but he simply isn't good enough anymore for where we want to be. 9 premiership goals from open play too. Hardly the goalscoring ability some people make out.

Those sort of stats can be skewed to fit any argument. Selling half our strike force isn't going to solve any problems, especially with the money we'll get for them.

I'd keep Carew. Too many days when he doesn't look too fussed to be on the pitch but as an impact player from the bench he has his uses. He's a very frustrating character but I agree with others, on his day he's superb. If he showed more effort he'd be more appreciated. That said, 16/17 goals isn't bad at all, no matter what opposition.

I think AVFC-POB has a point about Carew but if you think of the amount of goals Carew has scored in the cup games or coming on as a substitute when Heskey and Gabby aren't getting past the defence, then I think it just shows how important to Villa Carew is.

Are you going to give an actual repsonse or just post :crylaugh: ?

FWIW, I completely agree with AVFC-POB, maybe not sell him, but we play awful, awful football when he is in the team.

You talking to me?

If so then yes, I'll stick with the :crylaugh:

Yes.

Great input btw.

Sell Carew

Top scorer? No thanks. Doesn't have to start all the time but a good asset from the bench.

Wasting yer time mate, the Carew haters will not change their minds

I don't hate Carew. He was one of my favourite Villa players especially in the 07-08 season., I just happen to think the way we want to play and the style of our midfielders and team don't now suit his style of play and he holds his back and doesn't fit into the team as well as he used too as well as his level of his consistancy has dropped over the past years. Don't think he's the same since that back injury last year. He's not going to get any better and the team has averaged more goals, conceded less, and won more points per minute/match with him OUT the team than him in the team despite the fact the games Carew played in, 15 of them were against mid-table and lower teams, and without Carew, only 9 games against teams in mid-table or lower.

I'm sorry but he simply isn't good enough anymore for where we want to be. 9 premiership goals from open play too. Hardly the goalscoring ability some people make out.

:crylaugh:

Come on then, give your insightful view. I don't think in the whole time I've posted on the site, you say anything worth reading football wise.

You laugh at that post, yet you have no opinion yourself. What are you laughing at? The facts the team does better without Carew?

Although It's not my cup of tea, I could accept Carew as a 3rd/4th choice striker, I don't think he's awful but I think the quicker we move away from the type of players like Carew, the better.

Hanky, although you say you don't think selling half of our strike force is a good idea, well 3 of our 4 defenders for 80% of the season were brand new. For half of the season, Milner played central midfield and the inclusion of Downing meant 1/2 the midfield was different to recent years and I thought our biggest problem was upfront, creating chances, linking play and obviously scoring goals.

On one hand you had Heskey who can link the play nicely when he is on form but won't score many goals.

On the other you have Carew who on his day will score goals but struggles to link the play.

Both on their day are useless. Both are inconsistant. Consistant strikers for me are vital because as a midfielder, you want to know you can rely on a striker. If for example Downing plays a ball into the striker, Milner wants to know that the striker is able to either hold it up, find his run or turn and create something themselves. If midfielders look to join up with the strikers but the striker isn't consistantly holding the ball then obviously the midfielders have gone forward allowing space for opponents on the counter and then next time we get it, the midfielders won't want to get forward and support striker in fear of striker wasting possesion and being forced to get back quickly.That's one of the reasons, I don't like Carew too much because he isn't reliable in keeping the ball while Agbonlahor who is as strong as he is isn't going to hold the ball up 9 times out of 10. Meaning if a team cuts out the supply to our wingers, then it means our whole attack is basically nullified because when the ball goes into Carew, it's going to just bounce straight back off him. So if we are going to get a big man, at least get someone who is extremely reliable in what he does. (Hence why Heskey is so well liked, and if you watch him, does do this job very well usually)

It's easy to say "He scores goals" but if a striker is also losing the ball regularly and not helping the team in retaining possesion, so will the opposition score more goals as easily proved. Also with Carew, when he doesn't play, you aren't losing goals because other players score more goals again as proven.

he's a lazy flute if you ask me,i hate looking at him walk around the pitch every game,he may not be so lazy if he'd give the rocket club a miss every now and then...

Who Rob?

Yeah. He's a twunt

Sell Carew

Top scorer? No thanks. Doesn't have to start all the time but a good asset from the bench.

Come on then, give your insightful view. I don't think in the whole time I've posted on the site, you say anything worth reading football wise.

You laugh at that post, yet you have no opinion yourself. What are you laughing at? The facts the team does better without Carew?

Although It's not my cup of tea, I could accept Carew as a 3rd/4th choice striker, I don't think he's awful but I think the quicker we move away from the type of players like Carew, the better.

Hanky, although you say you don't think selling half of our strike force is a good idea, well 3 of our 4 defenders for 80% of the season were brand new. For half of the season, Milner played central midfield and the inclusion of Downing meant 1/2 the midfield was different to recent years and I thought our biggest problem was upfront, creating chances, linking play and obviously scoring goals.

On one hand you had Heskey who can link the play nicely when he is on form but won't score many goals.

On the other you have Carew who on his day will score goals but struggles to link the play.

Both on their day are useless. Both are inconsistant. Consistant strikers for me are vital because as a midfielder, you want to know you can rely on a striker. If for example Downing plays a ball into the striker, Milner wants to know that the striker is able to either hold it up, find his run or turn and create something themselves. If midfielders look to join up with the strikers but the striker isn't consistantly holding the ball then obviously the midfielders have gone forward allowing space for opponents on the counter and then next time we get it, the midfielders won't want to get forward and support striker in fear of striker wasting possesion and being forced to get back quickly.That's one of the reasons, I don't like Carew too much because he isn't reliable in keeping the ball while Agbonlahor who is as strong as he is isn't going to hold the ball up 9 times out of 10. Meaning if a team cuts out the supply to our wingers, then it means our whole attack is basically nullified because when the ball goes into Carew, it's going to just bounce straight back off him. So if we are going to get a big man, at least get someone who is extremely reliable in what he does. (Hence why Heskey is so well liked, and if you watch him, does do this job very well usually)

It's easy to say "He scores goals" but if a striker is also losing the ball regularly and not helping the team in retaining possesion, so will the opposition score more goals as easily proved. Also with Carew, when he doesn't play, you aren't losing goals because other players score more goals again as proven.

Great post, you talk alot of sense!! Totally agree.

So if we are going to get a big man, at least get someone who is extremely reliable in what he does. (Hence why Heskey is so well liked, and if you watch him, does do this job very well usually)

Except heskey has not done this job very well in his villa career, 5/6 games aside

in fact other than 5/6 games when he was good and did contribute to some of our best football of the season, he has been poor in terms of ball retention, as poor as carew sometimes is in fact

Doyle would score similar amounts to Carew and would do Heskey's hold up role better than he does. And there would be no issue around inconsistency either. Get rid of both of them, bring in Doyle, flog Luke Young to Blunderland and try to get Kenwyne Jones on the cheap in return for the bench. Voila, Doyle/Gabby partnership with Jones/Delfouneso as backup. Though I'd personally be more inclined to use the Fonz in more than just a backup. I'd nearly (nearly) alternate him with Gabby in maybe a 70-30 split.

Just read on skysports website that johnathan de guzman has left feyenoord on a free and is now a free agent being linked to espanyol, surely worth a punt more than martin petrov (or as well as). He has had injury problems but is only 22 . De guzman, Petrov & if you believe the papers-Boussoufa, all 3 would add a great new dimension to our squad for less than 10mill.

Doyle would score similar amounts to Carew and would do Heskey's hold up role better than he does. And there would be no issue around inconsistency either. Get rid of both of them, bring in Doyle, flog Luke Young to Blunderland and try to get Kenwyne Jones on the cheap in return for the bench. Voila, Doyle/Gabby partnership with Jones/Delfouneso as backup. Though I'd personally be more inclined to use the Fonz in more than just a backup. I'd nearly (nearly) alternate him with Gabby in maybe a 70-30 split.

Agree, but would prefer Rodallega to Jones. Also, don't necessarily see Gabby and Nathan as the same player i.e. I think that they could play together.

Sell Carew

Such an awesome post there and sums it up entirely. I too would drop Carew to our last striker unless he wants to go elsewhere.

But you summe'd it up completley.

Don't worry POB, you've clearly stated a very valid point there and I agree 100%. The question is now what happens regarding our strikers. We have 4 and I want us to bring another in leaving us with 5. Somebody's not going to want to be the last man. Can't see Heskey leaving considering the MON relationship, Fonz is too young and potential filled and Gabby is reported for Spurs. So either him or Carew who MON was never a big fan of...

Talksport have just had an interview with Candleface who (believe it or not) spilt one of his major transfer targets. However Joe Cole, available on a free, is apparently doing nothing about his next destination till after SA.

We should move heaven and earth to get this guy IMO!

Talksport have just had an interview with Candleface who (believe it or not) spilt one of his major transfer targets. However Joe Cole, available on a free, is apparently doing nothing about his next destination till after SA.

We should move heaven and earth to get this guy IMO!

For £100k a week?