Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Joe cole is **** miles better than Damien Duff. No surprise you included an Irish player in there though ey?

I've always liked Cole, I actually think he's a great player. but agree he isn't worth those wages and we won't be paying them so don't expect to see him here anytime soon.

How can he be a "great player" but not worth top wages??

Well, by that logic we should sign him for 1 million pounds a day.

But a serious answer, because paying Joe Cole 100k a week would cost us a lot more than £100thousand a week. You have to take into account the wage structure etc.

I can't be arsed to explain it in full because various people alreayd have several times.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talksport have just had an interview with Candleface who (believe it or not) spilt one of his major transfer targets. However Joe Cole, available on a free, is apparently doing nothing about his next destination till after SA.

We should move heaven and earth to get this guy IMO!

Cole's off to Arsenal. Deal done about 3 weeks ago from what I've heard.

Michael Bradely is one player I'd like too see replace Milner if he legs it.

This. A big fan of Bradley and the only player i have seen in last 3 years to nullify Xavi plus he can score as well. The guy has some engine

Joe cole is **** miles better than Damien Duff. No surprise you included an Irish player in there though ey?

I've always liked Cole, I actually think he's a great player. but agree he isn't worth those wages and we won't be paying them so don't expect to see him here anytime soon.

But a serious answer, because paying Joe Cole 100k a week would cost us a lot more than £100thousand a week. You have to take into account the wage structure etc.

I can't be arsed to explain it in full because various people alreayd have several times.

Now thats just silly - I meant if youre a great player you are worth and command top market value salaries.... even more-so when youre on a free...........

Plus there clever accounting that can be done with salaries, its not just as simple as giving them a flat salary every week.........

say for instance our top earner is on £55k per week - thats a short fall of £45k that Cole wants his package to be..... thats £2.25m roughly, so all you do is give him an signing on fee worth £2.25m per year over the term of his contract. If thats over three seasons surely a signing on fee of £6.75M spread over three years with a wage of £55K is easily manageable for a player of his quality.........

Talksport have just had an interview with Candleface who (believe it or not) spilt one of his major transfer targets. However Joe Cole, available on a free, is apparently doing nothing about his next destination till after SA.

We should move heaven and earth to get this guy IMO!

For £100k a week?

You do have to take into consideration he will be free!

I know, but it would balls up our wage structure. If we start paying him that, then we'll have to pay Milner at least that to keep him. Then Ashley Young is going to want it, then Gabby and before you know it, you have a crippling wage bill.

Why shouldn't we pay the wages? If we want to kick on and keep up with man blue and spurs then we need to start doing what is necessary to bring in top players like Cole imho. I would love to have him here if only to give ashley young a kick up the bum, better yet play him in the hole and he could he the linking player we so desperately need.

You can't buy a Porsche with fiesta money, if we mean business then we have to start paying what is required.

Now thats just silly - I meant if youre a great player you are worth and command top market value salaries.... even more-so when youre on a free...........

Plus there clever accounting that can be done with salaries, its not just as simple as giving them a flat salary every week.........

say for instance our top earner is on £55k per week - thats a short fall of £45k that Cole wants his package to be..... thats £2.25m roughly, so all you do is give him an signing on fee worth £2.25m per year over the term of his contract. If thats over three seasons surely a signing on fee of £6.75M spread over three years with a wage of £55K is easily manageable for a player of his quality.........

So you're agreeing with me aren't you? He isn't worth the wages so give him a signing on fee?

I wouldn't take Joe Cole for those wages. I really like him, one of the best in the country in my opinion but simply, we have to build the right way. As said, it's not just Joe Cole's wages, it's the fact if his wages went to 100k, Milner, Young, Agbonlahor, etc...will all be asking why they aren't getting close to that. Then the wage bill increased and before you know it, in the space of two/three years, you could be spending around £5 million more simply on wages per year.

As said, it's not just Joe Cole's wages, it's the fact if his wages went to 100k, Milner, Young, Agbonlahor, etc...will all be asking why they aren't getting close to that.

For the same reason that Curtis Davies doesn't get paid as much as Richard Dunne - they're not as good. If Young and Gabby can find another team to pay them £100k a week, good luck to them.

If Joe Cole was a contracted Chelsea player and was available for 10 million then we'd be interested wouldn't we? If we signed him for 10 mill and paid him 50,000 a week for a four year contract then everybody would be happy wouldn't they?

All Adbo is saying is that Joe Cole now owns himself, so if we paid him 10 mill to join us it wouldn't be excessive because his wages would then fall within our current pay structure. Having said that I think that he'll go to Arsenal or one of the Manchester teams.

As said, it's not just Joe Cole's wages, it's the fact if his wages went to 100k, Milner, Young, Agbonlahor, etc...will all be asking why they aren't getting close to that.

For the same reason that Curtis Davies doesn't get paid as much as Richard Dunne - they're not as good. If Young and Gabby can find another team to pay them £100k a week, good luck to them.

They would want 70/80k in my opinion, what do we tell them? No.

They get unhappy, they don't sign a contract. we lose big money on them because their contract expires or....we sell them a year or two before and then have to find replacements for very good players. If Cole went on 100k, and Young signed a new contract, I'd expect him to be offered around £70/75k a week.

So you're agreeing with me aren't you? He isn't worth the wages so give him a signing on fee?

No, im disagreeing - if hes the "great player" that you class him as, but in the same instance you say hes not worth top market value salary, then that doesnt make sense at all and seems totally contradictory.........

on the other hand if you feel hes a quality player and in todays market is well worth 100K and would pay it him.......... but the management feel its going to upset the applecart paying him £40k per week more than his teammates then there are ways round it...............

I really don't see the wages thing as a big issue for the other players. For a start, it's obvious that any player on a free is going to be able to command a higher salary, as there's no transfer fee outlay. Also, Joe Cole has won 3 Premier League titles, 3 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, and has extensive Champions League experience. Seriously, if Gabby expects to be paid the same, he can jog on. I'd say it's more likely to be a problem that absolute goons like Sidwell and Heskey are amongst our top earners. In my job, I'd be pissed off if I was paid the same as the cleaners, it wouldn't bother me if a new CEO came in with a Phd, MBA and years of experience running bluechip companies and earned a load.

From what I hear though, we have no money unless players are sold!!! And it is also been speculated that MON and Randy don't get on that well but that MON is here for now because there is in Randy's eyes no one better for the job.

Not my words...

But I hope to god that we do have money (apart from player sales) as we need to get a creative midfielder and 2 strikers!!!

From what I hear though, we have no money unless players are sold!!! And it is also been speculated that MON and Randy don't get on that well but that MON is here for now because there is in Randy's eyes no one better for the job.

Not my words...

Where did you hear that? I was fairly sure that Randy said pretty much the opposite in his recent round of interviews.

No, im disagreeing - if hes the "great player" that you class him as, but in the same instance you say hes not worth top market value salary, then that doesnt make sense at all and seems totally contradictory.........

on the other hand if you feel hes a quality player and in todays market is well worth 100K and would pay it him.......... but the management feel its going to upset the applecart paying him £40k per week more than his teammates then there are ways round it...............

Which is exactly what I was saying. He's a great player, worth the wages, but we can't afford to pay him those wages because of the domino effect it would have with other players.

So yes I agree there are ways around it.

Still don't think we'll do i though.

Michael Bradely is one player I'd like too see replace Milner if he legs it.

Hands off! :shock:

Bradley's **** excellent though. All the sweeter that Mönchengladbach pinched him from under SHA's noses. And if he's gotta go somewhere, I suppose it'd be better here than anywhere else.