Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

Igor Akinfeev has said he would never play for a team like Aston Villa or Fiorentina. 2 teams he mentioned in particular. I dont know if that means we have bid for him before

Its in the new 442 magazine.

Good.

He'd cost an absolute fuckload and is frustratingly not as good as his potential suggested.

Plus he catches less balls than a flydamite cricket team.

Thalidomide Stevo :winkold:

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bloke I met on holiday - who claimed to have a source close to JM said that Milner is a very level headed and dedicated footballer - and would be really surprised if he wanted to quit villa - if would be more of a case that villa may receive an offer to good to turn down.

I really do not understand why MON leaves the signing until after the players are back from their close season break. I understand this year slightly as the WC is taking place, however are the player we would expect to sign even at the WC, especially on Ian Storey-Moores comment to get players with PL experience. Such as Ireland, Bennayoun, Keane etc, they aren't at the WC so surely getting them in for a full pre-season training/ squad bonding would do the team a world of good.

I really do not understand why MON leaves the signing until after the players are back from their close season break. I understand this year slightly as the WC is taking place, however are the player we would expect to sign even at the WC, especially on Ian Storey-Moores comment to get players with PL experience. Such as Ireland, Bennayoun, Keane etc, they aren't at the WC so surely getting them in for a full pre-season training/ squad bonding would do the team a world of good.

I don't believe Pre-season has started, has it?

I don't believe Pre-season has started, has it?

Your right it hasn't, but i mean getting transfers in now so they can be involved with the Pre-season when it does start

Yes, something I don't get. Don't get why he's not looking to sort out at least a couple of the main transfers before pre-season just so simply can grove them into the squad and not be having to work on transfers during pre-season and instead be actually concentrating his attention on the squad rather than what we got to bring in.

Maybe he doesn't, thats just the way it turns out. Truth is, we dunno.

I'd, however, suggest that logic dictates you'd want the players in quickly because that's better for you. Doesn't mean everything goes your way and doesn't mean you can just get them in.

I'd, however, suggest that logic dictates you'd want the players in quickly because that's better for you. Doesn't mean everything goes your way and doesn't mean you can just get them in.

Of course. I understand that and don't expect all transfers to be done but around half.

Let's be honest, in his whole time as Villa manager, generally, we signed players towards the later stages of the window rather than the first 6 weeks. So it's obviously something he prefers rather than sorting out the deals early. As we know, he goes on holiday just after the season as well. It's not as if, he's been in charge 4 seasons and been late in moving just once. It's every year.

I believe getting the right player is more important than the time but it would be nice and beneficial if we did do transfers a little earlier...

I wonder how many other Premiership managers go on holiday after the season?? I don't know the answer to this, but i'm guessing most of them do. Fancy having all that money and not being able to go on holiday, i'd be a bit miffed...

Of course. I understand that and don't expect all transfers to be done but around half.

Let's be honest, in his whole time as Villa manager, generally, we signed players towards the later stages of the window rather than the first 6 weeks. So it's obviously something he prefers rather than sorting out the deals early. As we know, he goes on holiday just after the season as well. It's not as if, he's been in charge 4 seasons and been late in moving just once. It's every year.

I believe getting the right player is more important than the time but it would be nice and beneficial if we did do transfers a little earlier...

It's just the way he works so don't expect it to ever change. Signing Dunney, Warnock and Collins practically at the last minute last summer did take the mick but tbf in 2008 Shorey, Luke Young, Friedel, Cullear and Sidwell were all signed before the first game, only Milner came late.

I think 'being late' in moving is bollocks to be honest.

Yes, we don't buy players at the start of a transfer window, but the singing of a player is the very end of a transfer, theres much wrangling before then. I suspect O'Neill/Villa may be guilty of being a bit of a hard man to win over in terms of fees and cash, he only seems to pay genuinely big money for players he seems exceptionally keen on, Milner for instance. I suspect in some way that may be down to the budget he has, I've always felt that O'Neill may have been given a finite amount of money for a set period and he's had to spend to a limit often, as well as try to drag the club up and bulk it out, hence his squaddie signings and short term fixes he's often gone for.

I also suspect that we play a waiting game to see others show their hand because of this - we don't want to show our own hand on players we don't intend to get into bidding wars on. Sometimes that may be unavoidable and again, that'll draw things out, especially as the club has a few things it can't escape from, like being in Birmingham. We prefer to wait and see what other clubs may do and jump in late on with firm offers.

Of course, I can;t prove any of that because I'm not Randy Lerner, Paul Faulkner or Martin O'Neill, but it seems to make sense and doesn't just say 'Oh, MONs a slow coach', which to my mind would about the least logical thing in the world to be as a football manager.

If we were after poor players we could get them quick or if we had a shit load of cash so we could offer a fee and wages which needed no negotiation we could sign players quickly.

The players we're after are most of the time going to be players wanted by their own club or wanted by other clubs similar to us. In those cases it's no benifit to the selling club or the player to jump as quick as possible. The selling team will want to make a stand to keep their player or negotiate the best possible fee and possibly get a bidding war going. If the player is wanted by a few clubs then of course he's going to wait and see what the best deal he can get is.

If MON could bring his priority targets in early why wouldn't he?

It's hard to explain. I don't mean exactly that he just simply decides to buy players late, I just think possibly that he's just generally to slow getting transfers done. I can accept certain transfers, I.e. any big moves need time to happen and the Dunne transfers was relying on Lescott etc....but for example like Warnock. Why did it take so long to get a deal done. It was only bought up in the press by some inside information about a week before the window ended? Why is he leaving it so late or had this negotiating been on going for a month or two, don't you think we should possibly be more ruthless. I mean valuations can't be a huge difference.

To be honest, I don't think we need much this window but it'd be nice to have the striker we need before the end of july in our squad which is probably the only badly needed signing. A right back as well. It's just the key signings mainly we should be getting done before the season starts. Basically, don't leave 3 of your key signings until the last days of the window last time.

Oh by the way, I do agree with alot of your points too Chindie, I don't see it much as a problem, but there is a lack things to talk about so I suppose i'm just being fussy. I do care more about getting the right player than when he comes but would just prefer us to go straight into things as soon as the season ends which I don't think we do. (Although I don't know that, just a hunch)