Summer 2010 Transfer Talk / Unfounded Speculation

bickster

I.e. any big moves need time to happen and the Dunne transfers was relying on Lescott etc....but for example like Warnock. Why did it take so long to get a deal done.

I recall Blackburn holding that one up I think.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I.e. any big moves need time to happen and the Dunne transfers was relying on Lescott etc....but for example like Warnock. Why did it take so long to get a deal done.

I recall Blackburn holding that one up I think.

This, I remember Fat Sam saying in the press a couple of weeks before the transfer that Warnock was unsettled about transfer speculation when it hadn't been widely reported in the press that we were in for him.

All we tend to find out as outsiders is when a transfer is completed, we never know when negotiations begin for a player as the OS only tell when a fee is agreed.

Outside of football, Akinfeev likes to dress bears in navy outfits and make them re-enact his favourite scenes from Sergei Eisenstein's classic film "The Battleship Potemkin".

I spent the weekend writing an essay on that fookin' film.

I'm guessing the Odessa Steps sequence and the birth of juxtaposition. :D

This thread, like all things, is eventually begining to descend into chaos.

Only instead of a rather simplistic locking which ends most things, we will have months of boring, tedious and downright silly arguements.

Yay.

This.

Best to pop in occasionally just to point and laugh :wink:

Maybe he doesn't, thats just the way it turns out. Truth is, we dunno.

I'd, however, suggest that logic dictates you'd want the players in quickly because that's better for you. Doesn't mean everything goes your way and doesn't mean you can just get them in.

Of course. I understand that and don't expect all transfers to be done but around half.

Let's be honest, in his whole time as Villa manager, generally, we signed players towards the later stages of the window rather than the first 6 weeks. So it's obviously something he prefers rather than sorting out the deals early. As we know, he goes on holiday just after the season as well. It's not as if, he's been in charge 4 seasons and been late in moving just once. It's every year.

I believe getting the right player is more important than the time but it would be nice and beneficial if we did do transfers a little earlier...

Maybe the wheeler-and-dealer in MON knows that if he does his deals near the end of the window, then the clubs we're buying from don't have as long to try and get a better price. It's our price or nothing.

Although.. if that was the preferred method then we'd have to be constantly crossing our fingers that our targets didn't get sold to other clubs!

We need at least 5 players in and I doubt we will be getting anyone in until we ship out the players who arent getting a game but are still being paid big wages

players out harewood,osbourne,beye,shorey,l.young(don't agree with this one),salifou,sidwell,coker?, heskey&carew that's alot of work to replace those players with players who can help us get stronger as a team

It's not chaos - these threads have a particular structure they follow each year. We start with the "when's the window open", then progress to the Miguel and Zigic links, followed by the "When is MON back from holidays". We are about to move on to the "all the good players will be gone if MON doesn't get a move on" phase.

Harry in true to form 'he ain't coming here, he's going to [club x]' - then later says 'of course we're interested'. Doing it with Joe Cole now. Suppose it's quite clever way really of letting player know of his interest.

Harry in true to form 'he ain't coming here, he's going to [club x]' - then later says 'of course we're interested'. Doing it with Joe Cole now. Suppose it's quite clever way really of letting player know of his interest.

Thought Cole was Arsenal bound

If someone was to offer us 22m cash for Gabby I'd take it!

15m cash and Robbie Keane, i'd take it...

I wouldn't.

In 2 years time we'd be regretting it - Keane would be winding down his career and Gabby will probably still be improving and breaking into the England team.

Yeah i've always just been one of these people who has never really rated Gabby that highly. Although he does keep improving every year, so if that continues, i'll be more then happy to say i'm wrong. Dont get me wrong i do like Gabby, but when people are saying Milner aint worth 30m, then i don't really think Gabby is worth 22m.

PieFacE, I suppose it boils down to whether we value a player at what he is ACTUALLY worth or what a team would pay for him.

If we were in debt and needed to sell some players straight away then we'd probably get a price closer to their real value.

Milner - £17m?

Gabby - £13m?

Young - £15m?

They're my guesses. But we'd be stupid to sell them for that amount in our current situation.

PieFacE, I suppose it boils down to whether we value a player at what he is ACTUALLY worth or what a team would pay for him.

If we were in debt and needed to sell some players straight away then we'd probably get a price closer to their real value.

Milner - £17m?

Gabby - £13m?

Young - £15m?

They're my guesses. But we'd be stupid to sell them for that amount in our current situation.

Totally agree, and you're probably right with those figures!

I'd like to think if we were to sell Gabby for £22m, then we could replace him with much better for the same cost. Although, i don't know anyone who to replace him with, so my argument is pretty stupid really :D

Milner - £17m?

Gabby - £13m?

Young - £15m?

Totally agree, and you're probably right with those figures!

I'd like to think if we were to sell Gabby for £22m, then we could replace him with much better for the same cost. Although, i don't know anyone who to replace him with, so my argument is pretty stupid really :D

Only as stupid as this topic... :winkold: ... which I actually enjoy!

For £22m we could probably buy Radamel Falcao lol