Jez

As I said when there were people suggesting we re-signed him, if Reo-Coker is the answer, the question terrifies me.

Awful player, by far O'Neills worst purchase. A player left terribly wanting in all areas bar sheer stamina and physique, who was bizarrely loved because he ran around a lot doing the sum total of **** all but looking busy. And also happens to be a tosser but somehow likes to project a false image (that you can see through like a pane of glass) that he's some quiet, consummate professional.

I'll gladly never see his mardy face on a pitch again. Thankfully, since he's at Ipswich, I won't have to barring cup ties

As I said when there were people suggesting we re-signed him, if Reo-Coker is the answer, the question terrifies me.

Awful player, by far O'Neills worst purchase. A player left terribly wanting in all areas bar sheer stamina and physique, who was bizarrely loved because he ran around a lot doing the sum total of **** all but looking busy. And also happens to be a tosser but somehow likes to project a false image (that you can see through like a pane of glass) that he's some quiet, consummate professional.

I'll gladly never see his mardy face on a pitch again. Thankfully, since he's at Ipswich, I won't have to barring cup ties

I can't say I agree with much of that, think you might be being a bit biased because of the way he left our club.

He was no world class talent that is for sure but he was a pretty decent player who captained the England U21's and Villa (under 2 different managers).

How you can say he was a worse signing than Agathe, Kiraly, Salifou, Curtis Davies, Harewood, Sidwell and Heskey I'll never know.

EDIT: Just thought of Beye and Shorey too.

The worst thing about the Reo Coker deal is that West Ham used the money they got from us to buy Scott Parker, and they had a couple of million quid in change too. They got an international class midfielder, we got a rich man's Gavin McCann with an attitude problem.

I can't say I agree with much of that, think you might be being a bit biased because of the way he left our club.

He was no world class talent that is for sure but he was a pretty decent player who captained the England U21's and Villa (under 2 different managers).

How you can say he was a worse signing than Agathe, Kiraly, Salifou, Curtis Davies, Harewood, Sidwell and Heskey I'll never know.

EDIT: Just thought of Beye and Shorey too.

The only thing NRC's leaving Villa Park gave me was joy - I couldn't wait to see the back of the useless oaf. He was shite.

I rate him as the worst of O'Neills purchases as he cost a considerable amount and never showed anything for it. Even Curtis Davies had periods where he actually looked like he was or perhaps even might be worth the money. On reflection NRC never did. The others cost far smaller amounts and came with very different expectations - NRC came on pretty big money for what he was, was expected to be a big player for us in the long term. And he wasn't. He was a useless footballer with nothing but his physique.

That he also bought an absolutely hideous attitude with it (he's clearly a **** clearing in the woods with an ego the size of Iceland) just bumps him further up the list of shite of O'Neill bought for me. He got a pathetically easy ride off our fans simply because he ran about a lot, but the actual total of that running about like a hyperactive toddler was little. He couldn't pass a ball to save his life. He had no brain. His technique was laughable. He only got such high tackling stats because he constantly gave the ball away, his second touch was forever a tackle as the ball bobbled off him whenever it came near him, and then he'd pull that daft mardy face like it was someone elses fault.

I don't think I've ever disliked a player in our colours like I hated Reo-Coker. His current employers are testament to his standard as a player.

Even Curtis Davies had periods where he actually looked like he was or perhaps even might be worth the money.

Davies looked a great signing for a few months. Him and Laursen bossed the defence and offered good attacking options from set pieces.

I think O'Neill did make worse signings than Reo Coker ; Habib Beye, Nicky Shorey, Phil Bardsley, funnily enough all full backs.. and then there was Djemba Djemba and Salifou, and maybe Mattheiu Berson or was he earlier?).. Reo Coker would certainly be up there with the worst of them, but I can think of worse signings - which is actually a good indication of how poor MON's signings were - that Reo Coker, a player who I thought was utter gash, is probably not in the worst 7 or 8 of them.

O'Leary signed the Djemba twins, and Berson. Bardsley was on loan when we were struggling for a right-back and Salifou cost very little. Beye and Shorey were poor signings though, but neither cost as much as Reo-Coker, whose play was infuriating and personality obnoxious.

I'd argue there was a period where Davies was actually better than Laursen in that partnership. Less showy but arguably more effective as a defender.

For me Reo-Coker was the worst of the lot for O'Neill. It's the pricetag, the particularly woeful ability, the particularly big failed expectation, and the fact he was a complete cock just elevate him above all the Beyes (rubbish, big wages but I don't think he was ever expected to be superb) and Salifous (he cost pretty much nothing) in the world. Theres pretty much nothing about Nigel Reo-Coker at Villa Park that, for me, provides any respite for how shite he was.

Lets face it, ultimately theres a reason he's at Ipswich. And it's not an overabundance of average foreign players in the Prem. It's cos he's bollocks. Just another example of his extraordinary ego.

• Like 1

I'd argue there was a period where Davies was actually better than Laursen in that partnership. Less showy but arguably more effective as a defender.

I wouldn't disagree but I'd say that was a direct result of playing with Laursen. I think they complimented each other well and it's no coincidence that Davies never looked as good with any other partner.

I agree entirely, he looked good because of the partnership, it worked very, very well. I think that period where he was the better of the two was due to Laursen being the showy, Rambo end of the partnership that left problems that Davies in turn had to strive to cover for (which is of course part of the reason the partnership worked) but still, Laursen was making the errors and Davies wasn't so much at that time.

I actually think he still had/has the potential to be a really good defender, but he seems to be more affected by confidence than most CBs and wasn't at all helped by injuries breaking his flow of games and stopping his confidence building. In fact I think part of his dropping off in quality was directly in line with him getting that shoulder (?) injury he couldn't shake.

Bardsley was on loan when we were struggling for a right-back

Because Mr oneill decided to sell our right back to Fulham without getting a replacement first. I get quite annoyed when I think of the way Mon treated our club as a turnstyle wage machine for extremely shit footballers.

must be 1st time in long time a worst signing argument hasnt mentioned Emile

I was playing "Real Football 2012" on my phone last night. Heskey slammed in a hatrick, all from outside the Penalty Box, including a 45 yard thunderbolt from the byline that would have put Naim to shame.

Guess its not that "Real" afterall. :(