Jez

Starting off with...

Foster to Small Heath

Birmingham target Ben Foster admits Manchester United exit is likely
• Goalkeeper set to leave Old Trafford in bid to revive career
• 'I want to be playing … I am not interested in hanging around'

Press Association
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 5 May 2010 09.30 BST

Manchester United's Ben Foster has accepted he will have to leave Old Trafford to revive his flagging career.

Foster started the campaign with high hopes of becoming United's number one goalkeeper, and was tipped by Sir Alex Ferguson as a contender for England's World Cup squad.

But the season has turned into a disaster for the 27-year-old. Standing in for Edwin van der Sar early in the season, Foster made two high-profile blunders, first in the Manchester derby, then the following month against Sunderland when he was at fault for a Kenwyne Jones goal that proved crucial in the title race.

Although Fabio Capello did not lose faith, and picked Foster for successive internationals against Belarus and Brazil, he has slipped back to number three for United.

On Monday he was reduced to becoming a penalty shoot-out hero in United's reserve-team title triumph over Aston Villa.

"You never want to leave Manchester United," he told the Manchester Evening News. "If you leave this club you are only ever going to go down. But I want to be playing football. I am not interested in just hanging around and I would go if the club wanted to sell me.

"If they are happy to accept a bid then you have to read between the lines and realise you are not really needed and move on. It would not be the end of the world for me."

Ferguson has said he sees Foster being part of his first-team squad next season, but that looks unlikely. The possibility of a loan move remains on the agenda, possibly to Birmingham if, as expected, they are not able to get Joe Hart back from Manchester City.

Foster knows he will lose out to Hart in the battle to secure a World Cup spot, with David James and Robert Green also set to make the trip to South Africa.

"I don't think there is any chance of South Africa now," he said. "If he were to pick me it would be very unfair on some of the other goalkeepers.

"I have not played a first-team game for a good few months and some of the English lads out there like Joe Hart and Robert Green have been doing fantastic."

For some reason I just think Roman's days of incredible transfer fees are behind him. I think Torres will go to Citeh.

Also heard on the radio that Arsenal want Joe Hart. Think that could be a decent deal for both parties.

Buffon letting everybody know that he would be agreeable to a move to England.

That's a marquee signing there. Shay Given is unlikely to be fit for the start of the 2010/11 season, Man City tried to buy Buffon last year. It's an easy link to make.

I think Man U is more likely actually.

Even Arsenal would be more interested than City I think.

....and with good reason, Given is top class! I agree that their targets will be elsewhere.

I think Buffon will leave Juventus as they are getting a bit sick of his inijury problems from what i read and will cash in to rebuild their squad. Maybe bring in Reina as replacement

That's a marquee signing there. Shay Given is unlikely to be fit for the start of the 2010/11 season, Man City tried to buy Buffon last year. It's an easy link to make.

....and with good reason, Given is top class! I agree that their targets will be elsewhere.

See, I dont agree there at all. Given is a great shot stopper, but his all round game is mediocre to say the least. He stays rooted to his line, he doesnt dominate his box in the same way as, say, Pepe Reina or Petr Cech do. I dont think Manchester United or Arsenal will spend the kind of money (fee and salary) that a deal for Buffon would demand.

See, I dont agree there at all. Given is a great shot stopper, but his all round game is mediocre to say the least. He stays rooted to his line, he doesnt dominate his box in the same way as, say, Pepe Reina or Petr Cech do. I dont think Manchester United or Arsenal will spend the kind of money (fee and salary) that a deal for Buffon would demand.

Petr Cech :shock: average overrated keeper and has no control at all of his defence

I think Buffon will leave Juventus as they are getting a bit sick of his inijury problems from what i read and will cash in to rebuild their squad. Maybe bring in Reina as replacement

Reina has very recently signed a long term deal at Liverpool

Borussia Mönchengladbach and a host of British clubs looking at Marcus Pedersen

Cheap Online Translator said:

In the game of the Norwegian 'tip leagues' between V�lerenga IF and Strømsgodset IF sat next to observers of Borussia Mönchengladbach, also Scouts of the national league team of Hamburger SV, of the English premier League clubs Blackburn Rovers, the FC Fulham, Bolton of hiker and the FC Sunderland, of the Scottish premier League club Celtic Glasgow, of the Swedish society BK hoeing as well as of the French society AJ Auxerre on the platform.

While it will have concerned at the observer of the Borussia according to all foresight Ove Flindt Bjerg, the Norwegian daily newspapers speculate unanimously that at the same time the storm talent Marcus Pedersen of the current table fourth Strømsgodset IF in the visor of the Topclubs stood. The striker provided with its hit to the 1:0 victory of Strømsgodset IF.

On the 09th of April 2007, that debut today 19-year-old in the A team of its homeland society Hamarkameratene, better well known as a HamKam in a game against Skeid. In the further course graduated it yet three games before it an injury threw back. On the 09th of July 2008, it obtained its first gate in the Norwegian elite league in the game against Rosenborg Trondheim and provided with its hit in the 90th minute to the 2:1 for the victory against Trondheim.

As "antrittsschnell, very heavily to stop, striker with Torriecher, fearless and strong technical capacities", is described the 1,80m large strikers. Nevertheless the at that time climber HamKam descended again and so the right foot 2009 changed after Strømsgodset IF. There it obtained in its first year in 24 games ten of gates as well as three models and awaked therefore also in the Norwegian media high attention.

Also in the running season, this trend continues. So stand after previously eight games already five of gates and three models to beech. Understandably wakes that pruriences. Teams out of the premier League as well as out of the national league observe it obviously already since a longer period.

At the same time became in the second half of the year of the last year of the media already an Ablösesumme of 1.4 million kolportiert. The portal 'transfermarkt. de' appraises the market value of Pedersen, whose Vertag still has its validity until 2013, on 1 million Euro. "I does not know that some societies are interested, but I knows which. It would be crazy to be able to play once in the premier League, also Germany would be crazy", so Pederson end of the past year.

Could be promising, can't really see a Premier League team taking a punt on the kid after one good season despite the links, and seeing as 'Gladbachs top scorers this season consisted of a central defender and a winger, we need all the reinforcements up front that money can buy. We're also rumoured to be looking at Robin Söder from IFK Gothenburg, who was linked with a host of big clubs in 2009 before a cruciate injury stunted his development.