Jez

to be fair to him belgium, croatia and serbia are all very good teams on paper, id say on their day all 3 could beat england let alone scotland

but he did play dire tactics and he seemed to be a manager that picked his favourites (kenny miller for example) but what do the fans want? a mcleish style manager who plays safe horrible football and somehow gets 1 result away from scraping through qualifying (a result they never get) or someone that tries to play football and ends up showing everyone just how poor they really are

its 6 years since they lost to spain in the final of the U19 euros, in theory those players should be hitting their prime now, the 19 man squad has gone on to get 34 full caps between them...

to be fair to him belgium, croatia and serbia are all very good teams on paper, id say on their day all 3 could beat england let alone scotland

but he did play dire tactics and he seemed to be a manager that picked his favourites (kenny miller for example) but what do the fans want? a mcleish style manager who plays safe horrible football and somehow gets 1 result away from scraping through qualifying (a result they never get) or someone that tries to play football and ends up showing everyone just how poor they really are

its 6 years since they lost to spain in the final of the U19 euros, in theory those players should be hitting their prime now, the 19 man squad has gone on to get 34 full caps between them...

who were in that squad?

Key:

Careers have gone downhill

Careers are largely unchanged

Careers have gone uphill

Goalkeepers

Andrew McNeil - then at Hibernian, now at Livingston (Scottish 1st Division).

Scott Fox - then at Celtic, now at Partick Thistle (Scottish 1st Division).

Defenders

Andrew Cave-Brown - then at Norwich City, now at Lowestoft Town (non-league).

Lee Wallace - then at Hearts, now at Rangers (Scottish 3rd Division) and current/recent Scotland international.

Garry Kenneth - then at Dundee United, now at Bristol Rovers (League Two) and former Scotland international.

Scott Cuthbert - then at Celtic, now at Leyton Orient (League One).

Mark Reynolds - then at Motherwell, now at Aberdeen on loan from Sheffield Wednesday (Championship).

Jamie Adams - then at Kilmarnock, now at St. Johnstone (SPL).

Midfielders

Charlie Grant - then at Celtic, now retired due to Osteitis Pubis (last at East Stirlingshire, Scottish 3rd Division).

Simon Ferry - then at Celtic, now at Swindon Town (League One).

Michael McGlinchey - then at Celtic, now at Central Coast Mariners (A-League) and current/recent New Zealand international.

Graham Dorrans - then at Livingston, now at West Bromwich Albion (Premier League) and current/recent Scotland international.

Ryan Conroy - then at Celtic, now at Dundee FC (SPL).

Greg Cameron - then at Dundee United, unemployed/free agent since July 2010.

Brian Gilmour - then at Rangers, now at Knattspyrnufélag Akureyrar (1. deild karla - Icelandic second division).

Forwards

Calum Elliot - then at Hearts, now at VMFD Žalgiris Vilnius (A Lyga - Lithuanian top division).

Steven Fletcher - then at Hibernian, now at Sunderland (Premier League) and current/recent Scotland international.

Robert Snodgrass - then at Livingston, now at Norwich City (Premier League) and current/recent Scotland international.

Key:

Careers have gone downhill

Careers are largely unchanged

Careers have gone uphill

Goalkeepers

Andrew McNeil - then at Hibernian, now at Livingston (Scottish 1st Division).

Scott Fox - then at Celtic, now at Partick Thistle (Scottish 1st Division).

Defenders

Andrew Cave-Brown - then at Norwich City, now at Lowestoft Town (non-league).

Lee Wallace - then at Hearts, now at Rangers (Scottish 3rd Division) and current/recent Scotland international.

Garry Kenneth - then at Dundee United, now at Bristol Rovers (League Two) and former Scotland international.

Scott Cuthbert - then at Celtic, now at Leyton Orient (League One).

Mark Reynolds - then at Motherwell, now at Aberdeen on loan from Sheffield Wednesday (Championship).

Jamie Adams - then at Kilmarnock, now at St. Johnstone (SPL).

Midfielders

Charlie Grant - then at Celtic, now retired due to Osteitis Pubis (last at East Stirlingshire, Scottish 3rd Division).

Simon Ferry - then at Celtic, now at Swindon Town (League One).

Michael McGlinchey - then at Celtic, now at Central Coast Mariners (A-League) and current/recent New Zealand international.

Graham Dorrans - then at Livingston, now at West Bromwich Albion (Premier League) and current/recent Scotland international.

Ryan Conroy - then at Celtic, now at Dundee FC (SPL).

Greg Cameron - then at Dundee United, unemployed/free agent since July 2010.

Brian Gilmour - then at Rangers, now at Knattspyrnufélag Akureyrar (1. deild karla - Icelandic second division).

Forwards

Calum Elliot - then at Hearts, now at VMFD Žalgiris Vilnius (A Lyga - Lithuanian top division).

Steven Fletcher - then at Hibernian, now at Sunderland (Premier League) and current/recent Scotland international.

Robert Snodgrass - then at Livingston, now at Norwich City (Premier League) and current/recent Scotland international.

Is 6 full internationals from a u19 youth team that bad a return? Considering the three that play in the Premiership are pretty well established players.

I know Scotland got to the final, but it was a slightly bizarre tournament in the sense that it was hardly Europe's elite there. No France, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Russia, England etc. Obviously these teams failed to qualify. But in qualification Scotland finished second (behind Switzerland) in the original stage and then pipped France to qualification by drawing with them in the final game.

Then, in the tournament, they only won two games. One group game against Turkey and the semi-final against the Czech Republic.

For comparisons sake I looked at the other international squads from that tournament and how many many future full internationals played. Portugal had 1, Poland 3, Spain 4, Turkey, 4, Austria 4, Czech Republic, 5, Belgium 6.

So in fact, Scotland's youth team has so far produced the joint most amount of full internationals (although one of course represents New Zealand!).

ive got 2 doubts -

he's wanted by guizhou renhe, they play in guiyang, which im going to guess and say no one has ever heard of because its a big city in the middle of nowhere, popping to a glamour city for the night out he aint, hong kong, shanghai and beijing are all flights away

whats her face that he's dating would have no career there, i know on that much cash for that short amount of time she wouldnt need to do anything but as a tv presenter 1/2 years out of the limelight would possibly end her career

A couple of years in China would probably be kinda interesting. I take the point people are making about retiring with £60m in the bank instead of £50m if he went to, say America or stayed here probably wont make as big a difference to his life as which country he lives in but he might fancy China if Drogba and Anelka (who I assume he is in touch with) say its a nice place to live on a millionaires salary. He might actually want to go there and live in a completely different culture for a while.

Dunno if I could do it were I in Lampard's position, his kids will still be in London if he goes to China and I think being near them would be more important than anything else. Each to their own I guess.

If Man City end up forking out 40 mill for Suarez ill be annoyed

Do they actually need him?

Liverpool are in dire straits at the minute after King Kenny spunked all their cash up the wall on average players

The last thing we need is for City to bail them out flashing the cash with 40 mill for Suarez

I'm sure they will be able to rebuild their side using this money look what Newcastle did with the Carroll Cash

I was loving it when they forked out 30 odd mill for Andy Carroll but now if the above is true it looks like they will be challenging for the top 4 again...