Jez

Legend in the making....

Australian club Newcastle Jets sells out of Emile Heskey shirts

• Fans snap up shirts after Heskey joins A-League club

• Jets' defender Dominik Ritter: 'It's very, very exciting'

Newcastle Jets have placed an order for 5,000 more Emile Heskey shirts after their first batch sold out.

The Australian club, who completed the signing of the former England striker in time for the new A-League season, have also been boosted by 1,000 new fans signing up as members since Heskey's arrival.

The Jets coach Gary van Egmond told Foxsports that the high-profile signing was "fantastic… He ticks all the boxes, in a footballing sense with his ability and experience… and from a commercial and marketing point of view. He's going to be a great fit."

Van Egmond said he was hopeful that Heskey would arrive in Australia on Friday in match-fit condition.

"We are obviously all hoping he is going to be ready to go. From my understanding, he's been training at Wigan and has kept himself in really good nick. He's been ensuring that he prepared himself properly for whichever club he decided to play with. But until he gets here, we won't know for sure.

"Everyone's hopeful it's all OK and he's in decent shape but as I say, we can't do anymore at this stage except wait until we see him in the flesh and then go from there."

The club's Swiss defender Dominik Ritter also welcomed Heskey's imminent arrival.

"When I came here, I didn't know much about Australian football," he said. "Then a couple of weeks ago, Del Piero signed [with Sydney FC] and everyone from Switzerland, my family and friends, all texted me saying how great it was.

"Now Emile Heskey is coming to play with me and my team. It's very, very exciting."

after del boy and fowler who is the 3rd biggest import to play in the oz league?

jeffers, bridges, yorke, carbone, juninho, romario, mario jardel?

heskey is right up there in terms of big name signing, might say more about the league than the player, good luck to him

romario was an old man looking for one last pay day, he lasted 21 days and only played 4 games, fowler actually did quite well down there

Yes, but that's not what you were looking for. If you want foreign players who did well then Carlos Hernández of Costa Rica is probably the best one.

If you are looking for the bigger name, then Romario is about three levels above Robbie Fowler. Julian Joachim did much better for us than Stan Collymore but I don't think anyone would argue that he was a bigger name.

It's a balance though, you need somebody with a big name to add glamour to your league but you want one who still has something to offer. I doubt many people bought tickets just to see Carlos Hernandez play.

• 2 weeks later...

mancini watched him at the weekend, currently scoring a goal every 56 minutes, which is better than messi and ronaldo

ferrer did say on revista though that you cant write off a crazy bid coming from a russian club in January because they ahve been watching him too

Remember when we were heavily linked with him?

Still, we bought Heskey instead...

that all come from an article in 2008 when JPA mentioned in an interview that he`d recommended falcao to MON, at the time falcao was in the last 6 months of his contract and available on a free. i think it was harewood we signed instead though

that all come from an article in 2008 when JPA mentioned in an interview that he`d recommended falcao to MON, at the time falcao was in the last 6 months of his contract and available on a free. i think it was harewood we signed instead though

That actually makes me angry...