Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

I managed to miss the last hour of play so was very pleasantly surprised to see that Jimmy had got them 24 for 3.

Also really glad to see the Pakistan players each jogging over to congratulate Crawley as he left the field. Very good stuff.

I can’t remember who said it on TMS but it was an overseas commentator. Think it was an overseas guest but the conversation was about Sibley after his hundred and yet all the commentator could talk about was how good Crawley looked.

When Stokes is back Burns gets dropped imo.

7 minutes ago, rayk said:

When Stokes is back Burns gets dropped imo.

I'm not sure. No-one else is really an opener? You'd have to open with Crawley then and move Root to 3 and you're messing the order up again

Assuming Stokes can bowl freely, he'll replace a bowler IMO Bess or Woakes at a guess, although Woakes doesn't deserve to be dropped. 

• Like 1

Crawley is by trade an opener.

For me it’s how Root and Burns decide who bats 3, but on current form and ability to structure an innings Stokes is probably the best bet.

i guess ultimately I don’t rate Burns.....I’m not a huge fan of Sibley’s technique tbh but he’s young enough to make it work.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

That'll be 600 wickets then 🤩

What a player.  Nice one Jimmy.

Amazing really, thinking back I was disgusted he didn’t get picked for the 2005 ashes. He’s a player that has improved his skills the older he gets. Outlasted the other great of his generation Steyn and Broad still going as well. England’s greatest in my lifetime 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Amazing really, thinking back I was disgusted he didn’t get picked for the 2005 ashes. He’s a player that has improved his skills the older he gets. Outlasted the other great of his generation Steyn and Broad still going as well. England’s greatest in my lifetime 

Around 04/05 was when they were trying to remodel his action and at times he didn't know which side of the wicket the ball was going.  Amazing how he recovered from that really.

18 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Around 04/05 was when they were trying to remodel his action and at times he didn't know which side of the wicket the ball was going.  Amazing how he recovered from that really.

Yes I know and Simon Jones certainly merited his place. 

Ah poor Simon, if only he hadn't been injured, great talent. 

Will say, great to have the cricket and many positives for England I think, but Jack Leach must have been confused as to how he didn't get a bowl. Bess wasn't good enough really, one for the future. 

Burns stays for me. Not the best summer, but he was reasonable against the west indies. Assuming the sri lanka and india tour happens in January, I wouldn't be changing the line up yet. Stokes comes in, Pope sits out for me, as good as he is he isn't the finished article. I'd say drop Bess but in spinning conditions that's not happening. Subject to fitness You have Leach and Bess in there. Woakes and Jimmy to miss out with Wood/Archer or both in there on those pitches. Broad won't be being dropped any time soon. 

But a full 4 months + before that happens :( 

T20 later this week, but it just isn't the same. 

Kevin O'Brien left himself a hefty bill for repairs in a hard-hitting onslaught for Leinster Lightning against North West Warriors in Dublin, after smashing his own car windscreen while hitting a six.

In a match reduced to 12 overs a side due to rain interruptions, O'Brien's bruising innings of 82 from 37 balls was more than enough to secure a 24-run DLS win.

However, it later transpired that one of his eight sixes had sailed into the car park at Pembroke Cricket Club, and wrecked the rear window of his Toyota.

Kevin O'Brien smashed his own windscreen while hitting a six Cricket Ireland

It had been a typically belligerent onslaught from the 36-year-old O'Brien, whose greatest claim to fame was the 50-ball hundred against England at the 2011 World Cup in Bengaluru, but who was also at the crease at the Ageas Bowl last month while Ireland once again chased down 329 to beat England.

For Leinster, O'Brien struck his second ball for six and didn't let up, despite the risk of his momentum being interrupted by a mid-innings rain break.

Leinster finished with 124 for 4 from 12 overs, leaving the visiting Warriors a near-impossible task of chasing down the massive target in dull, damp conditions.

They lost wickets early in the response, and apart from William Porterfield's 50 from 30 balls, never looked like coming close.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29754049/ireland-batsman-kevin-obrien-smashes-own-car-windscreen-hitting-six-leinster-victory

5 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Comfortable win in the end for England in the first 20-20 test with Pakistan despite chasing 195.

Owen Morgan was very impressive

Yeah I thought Pakistan posted a decent total but Morgan made it seem very inadequate

• Like 1

Â