Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

go cricket on terrestial tv! :wave:

go england batting first on this pitch! :popcorn:

go england - nice and solid for 1 hur 49 minutes of first two hour session! well done rory and dom :cheers:

5.49 burns sweeps oddly cheap stupid wicket gone for 33 :bang:

5.56 new batsman in, bumrah back plumb lbw for dan lawrence :blush:

5.59 - on stroke of lunch mad panic single leads to a very close run out chance. WHAT ARE YOU DOING :rant:

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

the perfect situation for Sibley. Well batted for his 50. Patient and now stick around for the century, even if it takes him til tomorrow morning. Root will be busy enough to keep the rate ticking over with luck. Still very much India "in control" for me at the moment as a wicket or two and we're in poop. These two need to go big, a 150+ partnership

• Like 3

root slog sweeps a 6 and then down with cramp. Kohli kindly helping him. How nice. 

partnership of 198 between these two has been first class.  Makes me re-assured I don't need to get up at 4 in order to see us still batting tomorrow :D  We should be in a good position to bat through until tea at least tomorrow. 

feel safe to comment now he's got the double century ( with a 6!) - but Root has been awesome today, whether letting Stokes go nuts earlier, his ability to go up and down the gears is so impressive. If he maintains this form all year the records will fall with ease. 

Obviously won't get double centuries 66% of the time, but nonetheless he's looking really good. Mockers don't count if he's out now imo

• Like 1

It definitely has, but yeah even at 8 down it's clear the pitch whilst deteriorating a bit is still good for batting too. Let's use as much of that up as possible. If we can get up to 570+ tomorrow morning, that extra bit just helps keep momentum with us.

The 2016 horror show should guard against complacency I hope!

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd have to say, going into this test against a very good India side, in India, I didn't see us popping in a score of more than 500.

We'll know for sure when we get the ball, but I think this has been a fantastic display.

I'm not sure India got their bowling attack right, albeit it's a bit of a road and Root is in sublime form.  I'd have thought they would have better spinners available than the two other than Ashwin.

we'd probably say the same if we'd lost the toss, the toss very much shapes the narrative on a pitch like this. India could easily be the one pummelling us into submission. But fortunately, even if this just ends in a draw we've begun the tour with a positive impression. So arbitrary that the coss of a toin can determine levels of general optimism for thr tour but there we go. 

I'd still expect India to win the series overall, 2-1 I guess, but going to enjoy the good days we have on tour whilst we have them! That said, bugger waking up at 4am tomorrow this time :D 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rodders said:

we'd probably say the same if we'd lost the toss, the toss very much shapes the narrative on a pitch like this. India could easily be the one pummelling us into submission. But fortunately, even if this just ends in a draw we've begun the tour with a positive impression. So arbitrary that the coss of a toin can determine levels of general optimism for thr tour but there we go. 

I'd still expect India to win the series overall, 2-1 I guess, but going to enjoy the good days we have on tour whilst we have them! That said, bugger waking up at 4am tomorrow this time :D 

Sounds like you're enjoying the beers tonight😉

Agree though that batting first has made a big difference. Will be interesting to see how India do in their first innings and how much the wicket deteriorates.

Â