Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Wonder what the lineup will be for next Test  ? If Wood and/or Anderson are fit, will they make a change. Personally, I wouldn't but the commentator on Sky  thought Stokes was carrying an injury; if so who would you bring in - Anderson for me but certainly not Archer !

Cracking win, excellence performance all round.

Shame buttler couldn’t have had some fun early on, just won’t seem to go for him with the bat.

Currans a tidy bowler and left arm swing is a thing of beauty when it’s done right.

If stokes is injured it’ll make the last game interesting but otherwise I think we’ll win again.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, blandy said:

I think they've been in isolation "bio-secure bubble" since before haircutting was allowed again.

Also, it helped them do "winning at cricket", so it's fine by me.

They've taken it a bit more seriously than the footballers it seems.

I'm pretty sure they will go Anderson and Archer for Woakes and Curran in the next Test.  They could keep Curran in if Stokes can bat but can't bowl, maybe give the gloves to Pope and leave Buttler out.

I think they might go without a spinner, and bring Archer and Anderson and drop Curran, looking at the conditions. I think Stokes' niggle means going for that extra pace bowler would take the pressure off. If we need some spin, we use Root. 

So Woakes, Archer, Broad Anderson as the pace line up. 

We'll see. Safe option is they just drop curran and woakes for archer and anderson though. 

19 minutes ago, Rodders said:

So it's Crawley who misses out along with Curran. Archer and Anderson in. 

We're batting first. 

Bit unlucky on both really. Curran left aren’t, could’ve added more variance than Woakes

They really want Pope to work out. 

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

You wouldn't want to be behind him in the queue for tea.

I used to be that bloke. 48" Slazenger whites bowling off spin in Barbados. To make things funny, a team called North Stars had a radio gantry where they called tea and said " better get down from 'ere, big man's gonna get quick when he sees the Mac and cheese!'

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I used to be that bloke.

Me, too. Though slightly less so when I was playing as I trundled in bowling seam up à la Gus Fraser - blowing like hell and red faced after a couple of balls rather than his quality though I was occasionally able to get a surprising amount of lift off a good length.

Similar to you, too, as in not that bloke any more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Isn't it a bit of an insult renaming it the Richards-Botham trophy?  Beefy was great but pretty ineffective against the West Indies whereas Richards annihilated many an England attack.

Yes totally agree.Botham was brilliant for us but against the West Indies he did very little and seemed to revel too much in his friendship with Garner and Richards.

Gooch was the beginning of our resurgence and I think played some crucial innnings in our later series .

Richards was an incredible batsman.The way he came out with just a cap and the way he used to swing his arms as he was approaching the wicket was very intimidating.I vividly remember him demolishing our best bowler at the time Bob Willis.I don’t think there has been a more dominant batsman since.

5 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

Yes totally agree.Botham was brilliant for us but against the West Indies he did very little and seemed to revel too much in his friendship with Garner and Richards.

Wasn't that why he ,somewhat petulantly , left Somerset ?  Alan Lamb and Mark Butcher stood up to West Indies barrage of short pitched bowling better (IMO) !

3 hours ago, veloman said:

Wasn't that why he ,somewhat petulantly , left Somerset ? 

He didn't petulantly leave Somerset.

He left in response to/solidarity with Richards and Garner because of the way they were treated by Somerset and Roebuck, i.e. pretty shoddily.

Having been a Somerset supporter since I began following county cricket, I too 'left' Somerset at that time.

Edited by snowychap

Â