Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

On 23/01/2021 at 10:42, bannedfromHandV said:

Thought we’d found some good openers last year but nothing like the sub-continent to highlight weaknesses.

Need Root and Bairstow to stay in for a long time to have a chance of staying in this game I think.

Root got another big score but we trail by 42 with Jimmy left to bat.

Probably looking at a draw.

Can’t believe the manner of Roots dismissal, and in the final stages of the day too.

You’d think we’ll be starting the second innings with a deficit now and their spin bowlers will have a field day on a day 4/5 wicket so going to need to really restrict their next score, anything over 150 and England will be in trouble i fancy.

19 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Root got another big score but we trail by 42 with Jimmy left to bat.

Probably looking at a draw.

And this is why I don't waste money on sports betting :)

Sri Lanka out for 126, England only currently need 141 to win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, Sri Lanka shat the bed at bit this morning, like they did on the first day of the first test. But good results nevertheless, I think all the players ended up contributing eventually. Crawley got a couple of good balls but took some smart catches. 

Bairstow and Buttler not going to India seems insane though. I know we have Burns, Stokes and Archer coming back but that's going to be an order of magnitude more challenging for us. 

• Like 1

England may return to terrestrial TV as Channel 4 closes on India Test series

England’s Test team could be set to return to Channel 4 for their first live appearance on terrestrial television in more than 15 years unless either Sky or BT Sport submit a late bid for rights to the series in India.

The first Test of the two-month tour begins in Chennai on Friday and negotiations over UK broadcasting are still to be concluded, with the global rights holders, Star Sports, having held talks with Channel 4, Sky and BT. A source close to the deal in India told the Observer on Saturday that a contract has not yet been signed but added that the offer from Channel 4 is “compelling” and an announcement could come as soon as Monday if no further bids arrive.

...more

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Whilst it’s a ‘win’ for those who don’t want to or can’t afford to watch on sky, whenever cricket is not on sky it’s not even remotely the same in my opinion.

Say what you like about sky overall but their presentation of cricket is absolutely superb.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Whilst it’s a ‘win’ for those who don’t want to or can’t afford to watch on sky, whenever cricket is not on sky it’s not even remotely the same in my opinion.

Say what you like about sky overall but their presentation of cricket is absolutely superb.

Indeed, but for cricket itself it would be a huge shot in the arm - you're moving from a likely TV audience in the hundreds of thousands to an audience in the millions.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Indeed, but for cricket itself it would be a huge shot in the arm - you're moving from a likely TV audience in the hundreds of thousands to an audience in the millions.

Would millions watch? I don’t know that too many more people would tune in, particularly given the time difference coupled with the fact that I think most cricket fans would probably already have access to sky.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Would millions watch? I don’t know that too many more people would tune in, particularly given the time difference coupled with the fact that I think most cricket fans would probably already have access to sky.

It's difficult to say as Sky and BT keep their figures very close to their chests, but the difference between terrestrial TV and subscription TV audiences are still chalk and cheese. I reckon you might get a million viewers on Channel 4 - particularly later in the morning - I'm not sure Sky's cricket coverage ever reaches more than that other than in absolute peaks like the Ashes or the World Cup.

Probably won't be millions but there are loads of people that will stick it on while working from home I'd have thought.  Plus Indian cricket brings with it loads of new adverts targeting British Asian families if the IPL coverage is anything to go by.  As long as I don't have to fork out for a BT subscription I don't care, though it would probably be worth it for the extra footy anyway.

The 2005 Ashes was on C4 and loads of people I know, who weren't massive cricket fans, watched it. The presentation was fine as well. I think it was Channel 4's biggest ever audience with over 7m tuning in for 5th test finale. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

The 2005 Ashes was on C4 and loads of people I know, who weren't massive cricket fans, watched it. The presentation was fine as well. I think it was Channel 4's biggest ever audience with over 7m tuning in for 5th test finale. 

Sky's highest ever audience peak for a sporting event of any kind is 3.3m people - so that's more than double.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Say what you like about sky overall but their presentation of cricket is absolutely superb

It is, it's absolutely fantastic.

That said, CH4 getting this tour will allow many more to see it, which can only be a good thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Probably won't be millions but there are loads of people that will stick it on while working from home I'd have thought.  Plus Indian cricket brings with it loads of new adverts targeting British Asian families if the IPL coverage is anything to go by.  As long as I don't have to fork out for a BT subscription I don't care, though it would probably be worth it for the extra footy anyway.

Yeah that’s a good point actually, the Indian contingent alone could boost the numbers big time, and those folks will get up at 4am to watch too.

16 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Apart from that loud-mouthed Northern monkey who thinks he is a 3rd rate Working Men's club comedian. Seems to think he is more important than the players ! (and is anti Warwickshire - read Dermot Reeve's book!!) 

I do like Sky's coverage - since getting nowtv with the lockdowns it's been great to enjoy, but have to be pleased for some terrestial test telly. being against india the audience is always likely to be a decent one anyway. The commentary is from the host broadcasters though. On the downside I've read C4 are looking at Vaughan and KP for their studio guests. :puke: two giant egos 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, veloman said:

Apart from that loud-mouthed Northern monkey who thinks he is a 3rd rate Working Men's club comedian. Seems to think he is more important than the players ! (and is anti Warwickshire - read Dermot Reeve's book!!) 

Bumble? 

He’s a legend, I love the guy personally.

Â