Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Really hope they don’t lumber Stokes with it. He just took a mental health break from the game, let him focus on batting and bowling only. I reckon Sam Billings would be a good shout as he’s always impressed me when speaking about the game, problem with that is he’s not as good as Foakes at WK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yes definitely the right thing to do.  They like to have a captain with the long term in mind but I think they will just have to pick one just to get through the summer and go from there.  Probably either Stokes or Broad.

Yeah, perhaps. I mean we've got no skipper, no coach, no head honcho (Strauss is temporary only). The fixtures for 4 days cricket are at the wrong time, mostly, to let players improve their 4 and 5 day game and the sport has sold it's soul to telly money for T20 and Hundred competitions.

England are gonna be crap as a test side for ages.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah, perhaps. I mean we've got no skipper, no coach, no head honcho (Strauss is temporary only). The fixtures for 4 days cricket are at the wrong time, mostly, to let players improve their 4 and 5 day game and the sport has sold it's soul to telly money for T20 and Hundred competitions.

England are gonna be crap as a test side for ages.

It looks like Rob Key will be made director of cricket, which is an interesting choice.  I assume a coach and selectors will follow fairly quickly so a lot will depend on that and whether they are big enough characters to convince Stokes to do it.

At least it looks like there have been some decent batting pitches around the country so far and some batsmen will be knocking on the door come the first Test.

1 hour ago, chappy said:

I reckon Sam Billings would be a good shout as he’s always impressed me when speaking about the game, problem with that is he’s not as good as Foakes at WK.

Billings has played one test match hasn’t he ? Just can’t see it being him , still think it will be Buttler even though he’s currently out the side 

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Billings has played one test match hasn’t he ? Just can’t see it being him , still think it will be Buttler even though he’s currently out the side 

Yeah I don’t see it being Billings either

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2022 at 17:22, PaulC said:

Stokes is the obvious choice but depends on how his mental health is. 

Well he just scored 161 off 88 balls in the county championship, including 17 sixes 😲

Let's hope he can get near a century for England again. It's been like time-travelling to the 90s watching the Test side over the last few years

21 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Well he just scored 161 off 88 balls in the county championship, including 17 sixes 😲

Must be dissapointed he couldn't hit that final ball for 6. Sobers did it 1969 I think against Notts. 

• Like 1

Gutted to hear about the premature passing of Andrew Symonds. What a tough year for Australian cricket. 

Symonds was a wonderful ODI batsman on his day. Anyone remember his innings against Pakistan in the 2003 World Cup?

Born in Birmingham too. So sad.

bowled into the ground by Root, but with him, Wood, Stone, and Mahmood all having big injuries now or in the past, there's got to be something in the workload / training that can be looked at? They're obviously pushing their bodies far too close to the boundaries of what they can achieve. 

Â