Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Nice to see Pope playing positively and reaping the rewards with a half century, would be great to see him convert that into a 100 tomorrow.

NZ showed the way to go with batting on this pitch is to attack, I don’t see it degrading much if at all tomorrow so fingers crossed England can bat out the day and move the score a heap closer.

22 hours ago, sidcow said:

Would be nice when we finally get in if our openers can get more than about 10-20 each. 

Hope you did the lotto this week 

53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If England go on and post 5-600 plus here you've got to ask questions about the pitch. What's the point? 

It’s not just the pitch, the Dukes balls seem to be off too, bit of a bad batch it appears. 

But yes, when both teams are posting big scores at around 4 an over it points firmly at a very flat pitch.

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Taking the captaincy off him was a masterstroke. 

He gave it up (maybe before he would have had it taken away, anyway), but you're right Rob, it's done him a world of good.

• Like 2

Averaging 50 in test cricket, 4 centuries in 5 innings. 

Astonishingly good cricketer, and now he can just concentrate on being that and not having to worry about captaincy for the last 4-5 (maybe more) years of his test career.

Records are going to tumble.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

These next few overs are probably the last opportunity for a result in this match (other than a draw), if NZ can skittle England with the new ball.

I don't agree, not sure how many over are left today but England shouldnt be that far off the New zealand score by the close and they could easily get a lead of 150/200 tomorrow  and put the pressure right back on Newzealand. with a day or more left 

18 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Astonishingly good cricketer, and now he can just concentrate on being that and not having to worry about captaincy for the last 4-5 (maybe more) years of his test career.

Yes hes now converting those 50s into 100s regularly which he wasn't doing at one time in his career. Hes the best English batsman I have seen. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Alastair Cook the other day said Root would go way beyond his total. 

• Like 1

Commentators have made a good point re the pitch.

The ball is carrying well and is doing a bit occasionally and when you consider the volume of dropped catches (8) this game really could look very different had even some of those been taken.

Outfield is fast so boundaries are flowing, it’s really perhaps more good batting than a shite pitch.

34 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

These next few overs are probably the last opportunity for a result in this match (other than a draw), if NZ can skittle England with the new ball.

Well there you go. 

Need Baistow to get set now and support Root to a double century. If he's out cheap there's always the danger of a collapse though its hard to envisage someone else not getting a daddy score on this pitch. 

Edited by sidcow

You have to admire the stamina of some of these cricketers. To stay out there for hour upon hour waving about that big lump of willow then the running between the wickets on a hot day. Very impressive, I bet after half an hour I wouldn't be able to move my arms above shoulder height. 

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Best English batter I’ve ever seen - certainly in red ball cricket. 

• Like 1

Â