The VT Baby club

kimmie

Is 32/33 a bit old to become a dad? I'm 30 now and feel ready but the future wife is 22 and wants a few years to us which is fair enough.

I feel like early to mid thirties is a bit old to be having your first game of kickabout in the garden with your child.

When my child is 15ish then I'd be nearly 50!

Just seems a bit late to me.

My Dad was 42 when I was born.

And I was the first of three kids.

Is 32/33 a bit old to become a dad? I'm 30 now and feel ready but the future wife is 22 and wants a few years to us which is fair enough.

I feel like early to mid thirties is a bit old to be having your first game of kickabout in the garden with your child.

When my child is 15ish then I'd be nearly 50!

Just seems a bit late to me.

My Dad was 42 when I was born.

And I was the first of three kids.

My Dad was nearly 45 when I was born. My parents were told they couldn't have kids so adopted my brother and sister but I was conceived naturally.  It's been great having older parents, as it's given me a lot of stability.  The downside is that now I'm about to have my first kid he's nearly 81.  The folks are both still young at heart so it's great from that perspective, but having older parents can impact decisions - it was a huge factor when I was deciding whether to move to Canada or not.

I'm finding that the younger the parent, the less focused the child is on education, and the more focus is on family time and being slightly more "free".

I say this as a relatively new and youngish parent, working with people who weren't parents until their late 30s/40s.

All of their kids are taught business skills and maturity, much earlier than I was and my friends.

I'm doing alright for myself now, but i think focusing on education and having a plan is important. (Something I never had as a kid, although I was a B/C level student until college where i got all Ds/Es lol)

I grew up with aged parents who were definitely more into manners, discipline and education than were my friends' younger and 'cooler' parents. It was a slight irritant, but I understood, and I appreciated it in later life.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Â