The VT Baby club

kimmie

6 hours ago, Xela said:

I just have no desire to be a parent. At 37 years old, will it ever change? 

I had no desire to have kids until I had a kid.  Turns out it's brilliant. 

• Like 1

i was quite lucky. I didn't really settle down until I was pushing 27 and even then things were still a bit crazy but I remember thinking I want a serious girlfriend now and within a couple of months I had one. It was the same with having kids. Within 18 months of being together we both decided we wanted kids with each other and it happened. A few miscarriages later and we had our first. The rest is history.

It can be quite tough for a bloke to suddenly not be the cheeky lazy crazy little scamp of the family anymore. It's a nice lifestyle being a young adult male so it's quite a step to give it up. Plus at the moment, there's a supporting narrative that 'times are hard' so clearly people should 'wait' before having kids. After all, you wouldn't want a child without being financially secure, and you can't be financially secure and responsible and buy the latest x-box and stay up until 3:00am playing zombie car thief space cowboy.

But it's always been the same. there's never been a good time to grow up and it isn't for everyone. I've known people with fairly chaotic lifestyles and the kids have turned out to be brilliant people that are a benefit to the world. I've also known safe and secure and sensible people that have raised a mini satan.

Each to their own. But there is a tremendous amount of truth in Mooney's comment on a previous page. Many men have no 'desire' to be a parent. It happens for one reason or another and then from that point we all begin to find out if the dad is up to the job. The vast majority are.

I managed 32 years before giving it a go. So I've seen both sides of the 'debate'. Turns out I'm o.k. at it. They don't always think so, but what do they know, they're only kids.

• Like 2

Its an odd one isnt it? For me, the idea of not having kids never entered my head for even a second. It was always something I wanted. 

Whether that was upbringing, background or something else (maybe I'm just daft :D) I'm not sure, but the desire was always there.

Fair play to those folks who don't want them though. We're a mixed lot and parenthood is definitely not for everyone. 

10 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

i was quite lucky. I didn't really settle down until I was pushing 27 and even then things were still a bit crazy but I remember thinking I want a serious girlfriend now and within a couple of months I had one. It was the same with having kids. Within 18 months of being together we both decided we wanted kids with each other and it happened. A few miscarriages later and we had our first. The rest is history.

A deliciously bonkers history at that 

18 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I had no desire to have kids until I had a kid.  Turns out it's brilliant. 

I was into my 30s when the 'desire' to have kids hit me.  

Turns out it's feckin hard work.  But worth it, although it can affect your relationship and frequently of copulation 

As I've said we are having a girl but yet again we are divided on a name. Without saying which name I would like and what my wife would like what do VTers think. 

Sydney ? 

Scarlett?

one of those names is a name I've always wanted for a girl but my wife hates it.

We went for another scan today. We wanted the downs test and what ever the other couple of test are, and the first scan we were a bit early (11 weeks) so couldn't do it, so today's was 13weeks. First it was curled up asleep and they were unable to get the measurements, then the Mrs went for a walk and they tried again, it was now awake and wouldn't stop moving which also meant no measurements.

Its already playing up and it's only 7.5cm, I've now got to look forward to a number of years of the same.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

As I've said we are having a girl but yet again we are divided on a name. Without saying which name I would like and what my wife would like what do VTers think. 

Sydney ? 

Scarlett?

one of those names is a name I've always wanted for a girl but my wife hates it.

Shit names bro, call it LEGEND.

Or Barry i cant decide.

18 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Sydney ? 

Scarlett?

Have a look on Eurobabe Index dot com. Some cracking names there.

Well, it's what everyone else seems to do these days.

I still can't believe my little lad is 3 in May. Time really does fly. Having fun with potty training at the moment. At 2 and a half he's got the weeing in the toilet sorted. Amazed me really. Everyone has said he's too young to be potty trained. Pooing in the loo is hit and miss. Still majority in his Spider-Man pants rather than toilet. Fun fun. Missus has been a stay at home Mom since we had him so expecting some clingy-ness issues when he starts part-time nursery in September.

Â