General Chat

Stevo985

Kenneth Williams. I don't think there are many more memed faces in UK-based social media posts. But I think I can also safely say that 99% of Americans would never be able to name him if shown his face (and maybe many people in the UK wouldn't either -- I don't know) , and 90% of Americans probably have never even seen his face. Not sure I really understand the place of Carry On in UK culture. I've watched bits of it on YouTube, and I really enjoy, but I'm surprised it never really seemed to translate transatlantically. Is the meme face bigger than the show itself ever was? Is this a case of an internet second life?

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Kenneth Williams. I don't think there are many more memed faces in UK-based social media posts. But I think I can also safely say that 99% of Americans would never be able to name him if shown his face (and maybe many people in the UK wouldn't either -- I don't know) , and 90% of Americans probably have never even seen his face. Not sure I really understand the place of Carry On in UK culture.

Was this post for the things you don’t get thread?

Think we had a conversation about it not that long ago. To put it simply, it’s sort of charmingly naff. It’s the awful Christmas cracker joke but in film form. But there’s a charm to it. Or at least some people find it so. Williams is the double entendre face of the franchise which means he’s the one whose picture is used as a punchline. This was a persona he had outside the franchise too.

As for the series and its place in British culture. Not sure what the US equivalent would be, but my guess would be the Police Academy series. Again, a lot of the jokes are signposted about a mile off, a lot of them are repeated endlessly and the quality of the series frankly isn’t very good.

But there is an affection for them. There’s a comfortable, somehow endearing quality about the actors/characters in them.

As it happens, I was literally only talking about Bobcat Goldthwait to my mum the other day and her saying how she couldn’t stand that character. I had to point out, which she reluctantly agreed with, that she hasn’t seen those films for probably 20+ years, at the very least she remembered that character. I could do a half hearted attempted at sounding like his garbled, strained dialogue and she would instantly know who I’m impersonating. My mum’s always forgetting things she’s watched, so for her to remember a supporting character in a low brow comedy series, that must be worth something.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Think we had a conversation about it not that long ago. To put it simply, it’s sort of charmingly naff. It’s the awful Christmas cracker joke but in film form. But there’s a charm to it. Or at least some people find it so. Williams is the double entendre face of the franchise which means he’s the one whose picture is used as a punchline. This was a persona he had outside the franchise too.

As for the series and its place in British culture. Not sure what the US equivalent would be, but my guess would be the Police Academy series. Again, a lot of the jokes are signposted about a mile off, a lot of them are repeated endlessly and the quality of the series frankly isn’t very good.

But there is an affection for them. There’s a comfortable, somehow endearing quality about the actors/characters in them.

As it happens, I was literally only talking about Bobcat Goldthwait to my mum the other day and her saying how she couldn’t stand that character. I had to point out, which she reluctantly agreed with, that she hasn’t seen those films for probably 20+ years, at the very least she remembered that character. I could do a half hearted attempted at sounding like his garbled, strained dialogue and she would instantly know who I’m impersonating. My mum’s always forgetting things she’s watched, so for her to remember a supporting character in a low brow comedy series, that must be worth something.

Ah, what a cool reply. Thanks. 

The thing is, I do sort of "get" the comedy of that face. But Carry On -- well, it just wasn't part of my life. Still, that face is now so likable and meaningful and yes, so funny.

It's funny to try to imagine equivalents! 

Probably the one that for me comes closest is from the 1960s/70s -- Tony Randall on the Odd Couple. It's iconic TV here, but fading, and his faces were more low-key.

f444550a5501973d690c25df9243dc1d-tony-randall-odd-couples.jpg

But it's not just the 'Carry On' connection. Kenneth Williams was a gay icon at a time when consensual adult male homosexuality was illegal in the UK (and the law was enforced). Incredibly, he got away with being outrageously camp, particularly on the 'Round the Horne' BBC mainstream radio show, using gay slang (polari) and double entendres aplenty. He simply carried that persona onto the big screen in the Carry On films, to great effect. Not a happy man, though, despite his successful career. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

But it's not just the 'Carry On' connection. Kenneth Williams was a gay icon at a time when consensual adult male homosexuality was illegal in the UK (and the law was enforced). Incredibly, he got away with being outrageously camp, particularly on the 'Round the Horne' BBC mainstream radio show, using gay slang (polari) and double entendres aplenty. He simply carried that persona onto the big screen in the Carry On films, to great effect. Not a happy man, though, despite his successful career. 

I read The Kenneth Williams Diaries many years ago (really, really good) - A fascinating guy but as you say Mike not a happy one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I would have thought the obvious comparison would be Benny Hill? Wasn't he bigger in USA than here? 

As is/was monty pyTHON (as our american friends pronounced it)

14 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The vocalist in the band I play with does a strained Bobcat Goldthwait shout of 'Mickey!' as part of his vocal warm ups!

If you've never watched God Bless America give it a go. It was written and directed by Bobcat and is pretty good.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, picicata said:

The vocalist in the band I play with does a strained Bobcat Goldthwait shout of 'Mickey!' as part of his vocal warm ups!

If you've never watched God Bless America give it a go. It was written and directed by Bobcat and is pretty good.

I had a (short) online convo with Bobcat a few years ago when I reviewed his Willow Creek movie. Nice chap.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Xela said:

Close Encounters of the Turd Kind. 

Not a single like for that. 

Tough crowd :( 

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That cheese rolling even doesn't look the most mature of adventures. 

The slightest bries could blow them off course. 

• Like 2

So VT, collective hive mind question that people will be wiser than me on. Andrew Tate. I'm aware he's an internet idiot. I believe from a brief scan of his output and his write ups on wikipedia and so on that he's just a mysogenistic steroid head full of his own self importance. However it seems a male relative of mine is a bit taken with him, so I feel I should take more than just a passing interest or do more than what my instincs are telling me which is to just ignore him and/or his infamy.

So what's his deal? What's he actually done or said? Is he really pro-rape? There's some BBC output on this I hear but as it's me I won't be watching will I?

I just want to prepare myself with a bit more knowledge as I feel at some point in the not too distant future I'm going to have to try and unpick some of the stuff imbibed on the youtubes and use a bit of logic, rationale and actual facts to do so.

On 31/05/2023 at 22:22, Mark Albrighton said:

What sprang to my mind was National Lampoons more than Police Academy. Kind of a national institution over there for some weird reason. Naff but regarded as charming.

Â