General Chat

Stevo985

12 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Ok - just talking with the wife and I said "I'll ask the VT'ers what they think"

So she's preggers again! yippee! and we're talking about names. Our last name begins with the letter "H" and so if we pick a name that starts with an "H" the initials will be HH. It's my understanding that within far right tw@s online this has a lot of meaning. Or am I being a bit over the top here? Are people really going to be offended if our kid's initials are HH.

A very long time ago, I wrote a post about a date I'd gone on with a lovely young tattooed lady, who regrettably read the "88" at the end of my online dating username and assumed that instead of it simply being my year of birth, that it was code for HH, and that I was a nazi looking to slip one up her third reich. 

There may be some small number of people who notice it, but it's a bit of a reach even they'd think it was deliberate. 99% of people will think absolutely nothing of it, and those that do, well, you probably don't associate with them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Personally, I wouldn’t associate anything with HH. Is it AH your thinking of? And the link to Combat 18? I think that’s obscure enough to dismiss.

Our name choices were easy, there were a few very local names that we chose. Local to the point ‘some’ people would know where we were from because of the names. I’m the only one in the family with a generic ‘Dave’ type name.

You could go with something ‘local’ (sorry can’t remember if its Arizona? Colorado?) Phoenix for instance, but maybe not Boulder.

HH = Heil Hitler. 

We're in Denver Colorado, but I'm from Stourbridge and if it's a boy I want Dudley! Or I'd go with Aston for obvious reasons but she's having none of it. I really love Moab UT, but Moab is biblical and thats just not us.

It's funny though, most names she comes up have a connection to an actual person for me. It's hard finding a name which is unique and has no connotation but isn't really outside of the box. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, il_serpente said:

Congratulations!   Name the kid after your favorite trombone player!   If it's a girl, not so many choices I imagine.  Melba?

Good God no! I wouldn't do that to the poor kid!

Doctor or a lawyer please. I want to retire one day.

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Ok - just talking with the wife and I said "I'll ask the VT'ers what they think"

So she's preggers again! yippee! and we're talking about names. Our last name begins with the letter "H" and so if we pick a name that starts with an "H" the initials will be HH. It's my understanding that within far right tw@s online this has a lot of meaning. Or am I being a bit over the top here? Are people really going to be offended if our kid's initials are HH.

By discounting any names that start with the H am I being daft?

More broadly, how you lot choose your kids names? And we're not making up something daft that doesn't exist. Those that do that can go on the list.

Congratulations buddy!

I didn’t know the HH thing at all. It won’t be a problem (aside from the obvious problem of deliberately using alliteration in your child’s name…). 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

but I'm from Stourbridge and if it's a boy I want Dudley!

You want to name a son after the place with the lowest IQ in the country? :mrgreen:

I guess you could disguise it with an H and call him Hudley, well it's probably unique :suspect:

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, bickster said:

You want to name a son after the place with the lowest IQ in the country? :mrgreen:

I guess you could disguise it with an H and call him Hudley, well it's probably unique :suspect:

Is Dudley the lowest?!? Or am I showing how fick I am?

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

Are you saying Maris because it rhymes with my last name? :D

They both work with your surname, defo👍

Should avoid Piper as a middle name for the girl though :) 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

More broadly, how you lot choose your kids names? And we're not making up something daft that doesn't exist. Those that do that can go on the list.

Yeah, HH would definitely be a no go. 

To avoid controversy I would just plump for Adolf👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I doubt anyone would be offended by it. At all. Even people who know about the HH thing wouldn't be offended, they'd probably just think "that's unfortunate"

However I know about it so for me personally I would avoid it!

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I doubt anyone would be offended by it. At all. Even people who know about the HH thing wouldn't be offended, they'd probably just think "that's unfortunate"

However I know about it so for me personally I would avoid it!

Well you really cleared that one up for me ! Thanks Ben! :D

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Genie said:

The only person I can think of called Dudley was famously an alcoholic. 

Dudley Dursley? Pretty sure he wasn't, handy with his fists but not through alcohol. My guess his behaviour was down to having a pigs tail from an early age. 

Â