General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I much preferred Denny’s to Wendy’s. I’d love to see a Denny’s in the UK.

There's one in Swansea.  Seems like it's the only one.

Similarly there was a single Taco Bell in Nottingham for a while although I think there's more now (definitely one in Reading).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Mine arrived a few days ago - must find time to drink 9 pints 😂

No time like the present. Personally I’m enjoying Thailand’s Royal Ploughing Ceremony Day holiday but I can also heartily recommend Monarchy Day in Romania and Gospel Day in Tuvalu.

Holidays and Observances Around the World truly are your oyster.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

just read up on it, first interesting thing was that they've overtaken burger king in the states to become the 2nd biggest burger chain 

they plan on opening 400 stores in the UK! coming to europe too

Really i didnt know that. When i was in Boston a couple  years ago i badly wanted to go and found one. It was bloody good burger

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

you just described shake shack too

it was ok, it was way too busy in there though, nothing relaxing or enjoyable about the restaurant itself, it was expensive at over $40 for me and the wife, we had w double burgers with various toppings, chips with various topping, some sort of chicken as a side and 2 drinks for which i of course went root beer floater*, plus some extra sauces, the main issue was the fat in the burger, it was a dripping out the bottom when you bit it burger which i could just about stomach but it put the wife off, its a better piece of meat than mcdonalds but at twice the price theres the question of better value and im not sure it is, same can be said of 5 guys but i never felt that way with the UK burger chains that tried to posh it  up, gourmet and handmade were both pretty good as restaurants rather than fast food

No photo description available.

the view was decent though...

No photo description available.

* on the root beer floater, i remember A&W in Canada being a really good fast food burger

Those burgers look tastey man 😂

• Like 1

T

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I remember having a Wimpy at the bowling alley in Brierley Hill as a child, pretty much put  me off them for life.

There is a few wimpys here but i have ti say its really average and expensive 

If we talking about American chains that need to come to the uk the cheesecake factory needs to come over.

The food there is delish

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

T

There is a few wimpys here but i have ti say its really average and expensive 

If we talking about American chains that need to come to the uk the cheesecake factory needs to come over.

The food there is delish

I've heard the name of that one before, but don't know much about it.

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The one thing that would be amazing,  I think it's called "Ihop" or something in America? 

Where you get breakfast and coffee and things.  Went to it everyday when I was in Florida.

International House Of Pancakes

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'll just be the obligatory snob that suggests Americans can stick their chains up their arse. Support your independents :D 

I think one has opened up in kiddy following the lockdown, burger pizza bad food type place

But other than that there are no independents, theres a fine dining place which is good and owned by a villa fan, there's a Chinese place and a few Indians but there very few independents, even frankie and bennys had to shut, after that there's a couple of chains and then late night places that you'd be scared to venture to sober, give me an American chain burger over a guy dropping one in a deep fat fryer 

The quality of burger vans and catering events has gone through the roof though, beefy boys and the patty men etc that kind of thing is taking off but they have no fixed abode 

Edited by villa4europe

The best burger I have ever eaten was The Jam House burger at The Jam House in St Paul's Square.  It was just magnificent, burger perfection.

Then they came out with a new version which was shit. One of the worst days of my life when that was plonked before me and I realised the golden days were over. 

I would literally give my right arm for McDonalds to bring back their little packs of Mild Mustard Sauce. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'll just be the obligatory snob that suggests Americans can stick their chains up their arse. Support your independents :D 

Chicken cottage and little chef for davkaus it is then !

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

One in Liverpool too

And Manchester in the arndale, they seem to be spreading about now with a franchise set up so it's hard to know where or why they are in certain locations

Personally considering I think Mexican food deserves way more attention than it gets as a fast food in the UK I found it really disappointing, the quality just isn't there 

There are a couple of Chipotles in London 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

And Manchester in the arndale, they seem to be spreading about now with a franchise set up so it's hard to know where or why they are in certain locations

Personally considering I think Mexican food deserves way more attention than it gets as a fast food in the UK I found it really disappointing, the quality just isn't there 

There are a couple of Chipotles in London 

I went to that Mexican place one which opened on Colmore Row.  It was diabolical, the food was average of you were being kind and it wasn't cheap.  The service terrible.  It closed down within about 9 months. 

I tried it twice in case the first time was just a bad day.  Second time it was even worse.

Reading also had a Chick-fil-A pop up for a few months.  I think it was a trial run but they basically got chased out of town when some nasty details about their ownership came to light.

Evangelical Christians that had made a number of donations to anti-LGBT and conversion therapy groups.  Decent chicken though.

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Reading also had a Chick-fil-A 

One of those punning names that work in American, but not British. I just read that as 'chick filler', but of course it's supposed to be filet, pronounced fillay, as in French. Just like McDonalds has the 'filet-o-fish' that Brits inevitably see as 'fillet of fish' - nobody would be seen dead saying 'fillay o fish'. 

• Like 1

Â