General Chat

Stevo985

58 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Well that’s a little better. You’re original posts were a little more one sided.

In return, I’m willing to concede that not all bosses are on the take to maximise their personal wealth at the expense of the local community and environment even if that means employing solicitors and accountants specifically to keep them just the right side of legal, or failing that, illegal but difficult to catch. When they could have spent that money just being nicer to the people that actually pay some tax and generate the income. Not all bosses make their employees piss in the back of the van for fear of being docked money. Not all bosses are currently sacking the workforce to re employ them on worse terms. Not all bosses coached the staff to vote leave, and then left. Not all bosses are using zero hours contracts as a way of ‘keeping people keen’. Not all bosses have a ‘union troublemaker blacklist’ they secretly share.

I feel we’ve all made a lot of progress here.

I am being absolutely serious here.

How do you bear to go into work with so much suspicion and alienation for your employers?  I genuinely find it saddening.

I don't dislike my job but I'm not like an enthusiastic puppy either.  I quite like and respect the company I work for.  I just can't imagine going into work with these kind of things running through my mind.

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I am being absolutely serious here.

How do you bear to go into work with so much suspicion and alienation for your employers?  I genuinely find it saddening.

I don't dislike my job but I'm not like an enthusiastic puppy either.  I quite like and respect the company I work for.  I just can't imagine going into work with these kind of things running through my mind.

I think you’re confusing social media bantzz with real life? I’m not always talking 100% from personal heartfelt conviction. 

I don’t currently work in a unionised workplace, I negotiate my own personal terms. In a previous life, I have been a union rep.. I’ve had jobs in big government type departments, I’ve worked in very small private companies. So I think I have a fairly broad range of experience. I’ve seen good and bad employers and employees. I hope I was a good constructive straight up kinda union rep.. I would now hope I’m a good constructive straight up kinda employer of subbies..

I was simply countering some anti union sentiment with some equally cartoon skewed anti management sentiment. For some to suggest unions have been ‘on the whole a bad thing’ is mind boggling. It really is no exaggeration to say there are people alive today that simply wouldn’t be, had it not been for unions. Foreign holidays? Thank the unions. Still got all your fingers after years in a factory? Thank the unions. Wife got a job that pays better than pin money? Thank the unions. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think you’re confusing social media bantzz with real life? I’m not always talking 100% from personal heartfelt conviction. 

Will Ferrell Brennan GIF by reactionseditor

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The past day or so, I pop in here, see that the discussion is about unions and I haven’t got anything to contribute so depart.

But each time it’s resulted in me having you won’t get me, I’m part of the union” stuck as an ear worm.

Thanks for that. 

That's the weekend ruined. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Thanks for that. 

That's the weekend ruined. 

If it’s any consolation, I think I’m always going to think of that song when I hear union talk.

‘Til the day I die.

‘Til the day I die.

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

That's me out of on-topic for a while :)

I don’t know why I feel inclined to allow myself to be pulled in when things are bad/patchy. 

I had a break last season, in part because I didn’t want to get into debates week after week following a defeat.

But similarly, I was giving on topic a miss at the start of the season when they won 4 out of 4. In fact I think I barely posted at all during the first half of the season.

Don’t know, it’s like I’m more comfortable or more interested debating (arguing, I guess) when things are a bit greyer and a bit more unclear. There’s more to get my teeth into.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

That's me out of on-topic for a while :)

First game I’ve opted not to watch any of probably for years.

I needed to pop to shops to get my nephew a birthday present, then cut the lawns when I got back.

We’ve got nothing to play for, and Palace away wasn’t worth giving up a couple of hours of my Sunday for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

First game I’ve opted not to watch any of probably for years.

I needed to pop to shops to get my nephew a birthday present, then cut the lawns when I got back.

We’ve got nothing to play for, and Palace away wasn’t worth giving up a couple of hours of my Sunday for.

I completely forgot we were playing. 

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I completely forgot we were playing. 

I kinda did until I got the alert on my phone about line ups an hour before kick off.
I thought about changing my day round to watch it, then decided not to. 

My view is that is that I can't control the results/performance so no point in letting it dictate my mood. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Xela said:

My view is that is that I can't control the results/performance so no point in letting it dictate my mood. 

Yeah, I'm about 80% - 90% on board with that however there is the odd game that still reels me in.

Less often now though as I expect us to lose so not a surprise when we do. 

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The On Topic mood swings are always fascinating. Win a game? We're one good decision away from the Champions League places! Lose a game? Sack the manager, we're cruising for relegation!

I feel like VillaTalk could use it’s own mood swing in anything On Topic. Wish I could bottle some of the recent goodwill from the Virus thread and spread that in the Smith thread 😩

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I always worry about people that say "thanks villa that's my weekend ruined" 

As Xela says that level of attachment for something you have no control over is a bad way to live your life 

Agreed.

Unless it's a massively decisive match like when we lost the playoff final or get relegated or whatever, it rarely affects my mood once the game is over

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed.

Unless it's a massively decisive match like when we lost the playoff final or get relegated or whatever, it rarely affects my mood once the game is over

Don't get me wrong it used 10+ years ago, then I went through a phase of win or lose on the booze, then I walked away under Bruce, then I came back and I watch every game and I get invested in the games and my wife will moan that I spend hours on here afterwards but general mood and cat kicking not anymore 

The main thing for me is I think the whole thing is rigged, before the ESL probably even before FFP I think the whole "competition" is a load of bollocks, I love villa but detest the PL, so I'm not going to get pissed off that we don't win a competition that's designed to stop us from winning it and that I have absolutely no control over it all

I'll admit that bad refs can still get to me though 

I wish I could watch football in the same way that I do the NFL, like an invested spectator rather than a proper fan 

• Like 1

I definitely get why people get Up or Down emotionally, and I do too to an extent, but it was pretty funny yesterday how cross people were getting about a narrow loss to away to a side two places below us in the table in garbage time at the end of the season. I mean, surely if there's one game you can shrug and get over, it should be that one.

• Like 3

Â