General Chat

Stevo985

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Now we are talking!! I remember him and also some guy who would answer football questions all week. Teletext was the one ;)

Wouldn't mind a time machine to go back and live those days again. I really do miss teletext, oh and Bamboozle!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Wouldn't mind a time machine to go back and live those days again. I really do miss teletext, oh and Bamboozle!

Bamboozle is the bit I miss most from teletext... used to do it every morning before school back in the 90s!

Edited by alreadyexists

13 hours ago, Genie said:

I wonder if this era of staring into phones will pass? Will we look back and say "can't believe people did that all day" or is this it for the next 70 years?

no-need-to-fear-a-zombie-apocalypse.jpg

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

So in this thread we all love the 90s because of how much we wouldn't be on phones and stuff, yet the last 2 pages are mainly about how much we loved our consoles?

OK.. :blink:

I'm glad somebody else said it. My childhood was rather less techy than that. No internet, no mobile phones, no video games, no video or recordable TV, two TV channels (and not 24/7). 

Toy guns, books, a bike and 'playing out' was my out of school life. 

• Like 1

Exactly, I didn't spend all my time on it. A rainy day and I might boot up Psycho Fox, or i am ill and I might play Robocop Vrs Terminator, but 99% of the time I was out making things with wood, climbing trees, catching bugs, building and making fishing rods and catapults, riding my bike, playing football...

5 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

So in this thread we all love the 90s because of how much we wouldn't be on phones and stuff, yet the last 2 pages are mainly about how much we loved our consoles?

I think you have missed the point the 90s had a good balance unlike now where it dominates everything we do!

• Like 1

I need to design a memorial card for my Dad's anniversary. I know what I want but I'm not savvy enough with photoshop etc to make it look anywhere close to professional.

Any VT designers fancy coming to my rescue? I'd happily pay, and I don't think it would be a big job at all.

On 14/01/2017 at 13:22, mjmooney said:

I'm glad somebody else said it. My childhood was rather less techy than that. No internet, no mobile phones, no video games, no video or recordable TV, two TV channels (and not 24/7). 

Toy guns, books, a bike and 'playing out' was my out of school life. 

The 1920s must have been a tough time to grow up! ;)

• Like 3

On 13/01/2017 at 23:50, DK82 said:

Teletext for me is a great memory! Who remembers the football pundit on there who always called Gregory 'Grecian'? 

Clubcall was the place for the best news.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2017 at 12:12, lapal_fan said:

I see what you're getting at, but the reason it was competely different - for me anyway - is because consoles (or in my case the Amiga) involved having mates over.  So there was still the interaction with other human beings, rather than liking someone's status.

• Like 1

I usually make too much but don't do leftovers, constantly binning tubs of spag bol that my missus was convinced she'd take to work and never does

i do work with a bloke who cooks too much tea every night and microwaves it the next day in the office

• Like 1

If we got to the Mother in Laws for Sunday dinner she'll plate everything up but then have another leftover plate with like 2 Yorkshire puddings and a couple of roast potatoes on it. "there's some more of this and that if anyone wants it" she'll say. Why didn't she just put it on peoples plates at the beginning?

29 minutes ago, Genie said:

If we got to the Mother in Laws for Sunday dinner she'll plate everything up but then have another leftover plate with like 2 Yorkshire puddings and a couple of roast potatoes on it. "there's some more of this and that if anyone wants it" she'll say. Why didn't she just put it on peoples plates at the beginning?

Is it not better to have some of the other stuff on a separate plate, which people can have if they want it (or eaten for another meal), rather than pile up massive dinners for everyone, for people not to eat it, and it get chucked in the bin after?

I always take home the spare meat, if there's any left from my parents Sunday roast, and it'll do me for a sandwich on the night, or for my lunchbox the next day at work.

Sometimes it's to do with the quantities food is sold in. If I cook a meal for myself, it's not always easy to buy ingredients for one meal, so I'll make more of it, knowing that I can get a couple of meals out of the ingredients.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dAVe80 said:

Is it not better to have some of the other stuff on a separate plate, which people can have if they want it (or eaten for another meal), rather than pile up massive dinners for everyone, for people not to eat it, and it get chucked in the bin after?

I always take home the spare meat, if there's any left from my parents Sunday roast, and it'll do me for a sandwich on the night, or for my lunchbox the next day at work.

Sometimes it to do with the quantities food is sold in. If I cook a meal for myself, it's not always easy to buy ingredients for one meal, so I'll make more of it, knowing that I can get a couple of meals out of the ingredients.

Yep that's true too.

I used to do it where I'd make a chilli, for example, for 4 people and have one for dinner and box the other 3 up for lunches

To look at this from the other perspective. I’m the person that cooks the family meal. We all enjoy having a sit down family meal that takes a couple of hours with a bit of music playing in the background, but we’re not uptight about it. If someone has something else on or is busy or just doesn’t fancy it this week that is not an issue. I am not going to text around people and find out who’s dabbling with veganism this week, who hasn’t eaten since Wednesday and who has decided they do / don’t like broccoli / stuffing / roasties.

So lunch on a Sunday is as close to 1:00pm as I can manage whilst dancing to Radio 6 and jotting down names of fairly obscure reggae tracks to post on VT later.

Lunch will be enough for everyone without going OTT. By definition, that means long before 1:0pm I’ve put meat in the oven, mixed up some yorkie mix and started a batch of roasties. All the stuff that if there is any left, people are happy to take away with them.

Never seen a joint of meat go uneaten, never thrown away a roast spud. Everybody happy. No drama. No expectation on people turning up and eating.

Dessert will always be something out of a box like a cheesecake, or home made cakes that will last a day or two. That minimises the waste of not knowing if there will be three of us or six.

Yesterday was pork. Today I have pork and stuffing sandwiches. 

Easy.

YgpT8bT.png

Â