General Chat

Stevo985

2 hours ago, Genie said:

'left overs'

Never really got that, when we make a meal we make enough for the people who are going to eat it. I've never understood people who have 'left over yesterdays lunch for tea'...

People who cal it 'tea'

i think we have done this before! :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i do work with a bloke who cooks too much tea every night and microwaves it the next day in the office

I do this for most of my meals. Any curry, pasta dish, or anything like that, I make 3-4 servings. One for the evening, one for lunch, and then a couple go in the fridge for either lunch later in the week, or an evening meal (dodging tea/dinner :P) if I have a shit day and can't be bothered cooking after work.

Saves me a fortune on shit shop sandwiches and crisps, is healthier and tastier, and saves time. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Thinking about this, I'd actually find it really weird if it was done the other way. not so much for a normal weeknight meal.

But if you're cooking a big meal for the family on a Sunday, do you really just make the exact right amount of everything?

To me that's potentially way more wasteful. If you give someone a portion of peas and they don't like peas, that's going in the bin.

If you make a big bowl of peas, everyone has what they want and you're left with half a bowl, that goes in the fridge and you can use it later

• Like 1

On 13/01/2017 at 21:41, Genie said:

I wonder if this era of staring into phones will pass? Will we look back and say "can't believe people did that all day" or is this it for the next 70 years?

It will pass.   We'll have the connectivity implanted directly to our brains and communicate without speaking.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It will pass.   We'll have the connectivity implanted directly to our brains and communicate without speaking.

I have this theory that humans will evolve to have 3 eyes at some point , one for compulsory gadget staring and one for walking to a bus / train etc

tbf the Asians have almost mastered it with 2 eyes , but I still think evolution will play its part

I have a bit of a family problem guys bit longish and would appreciate some advice. My cousin randomly came to my house the other night just before I was going to go see my gf. He is a second cousin who we are close-ish.

So we sitting there talking and he didn't seem himself. I asked if he was OK.  He said I am not doing too well, so naturally I ask what's up? And I was taken aback: he tells me he is in big financial trouble as he lost a lot of money gambling on football. He is £6500 in debt. I was blown away aa didnt see that happening from him.

He swore me to secrecy and asked me if I could take out a loan on his behalf for that amount and he would transfer me payments each month to cover that cost. (He said his credit rating won't allow him) I wasn't keen on this as he defaults I'm responsible. I said why doesn't he ask his parents to help him out.  Apparently he got himself in trouble before and his parents bailed him out last time as this happened a year ago. They said if he did again he is by himself. His wife also found out and said she will leave him with the kids if he did it again.

So he said there was no chance of doing that as he said his wife will leave him if she finds out. I offered to loan him some money for few months until he can find himself a way to pay and he declined saying it's his problem and he needs to deal with it. I felt very bad for saying no to the loan as he looked desperate but I can't afford myself to owe that to the bank if he defaults.

I am worried he might do something stupid. If he were I would be responsible for not saying anything to his family about his gambling problem. But then if I tell them, his wife will leave him and maybe he might do something stupid anyway. It's a  lose lose so I don't know what to do. 

It's his life and his problem.

If you can afford to help out, not by giving him cash, do so but on the basis you'll never see that money again.

Otherwise, it's sad, but it's not your problem.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ender4 said:

I was thinking about this on the train.  I get the train every day and I purposely don't look at my mobile at all on the journey.  There are a couple of reasons,  1) It does not ring much or get messages much except in emergencies. 2) I look around the train and every single person is looking at their mobile for the complete journey and I don't want to be the same as everyone else 3) It's quite good brain time in that it can go freestyle and think about anything.

Which brings me to sort of what I was thinking about,  a lot of ideas,  eureka moments or just simple conversations with other passengers and travellers have led to amazing things in the past.  For example the bint on the train with Harry Potter etc or all the people who have met their wife's or husband's on the train.  None of this has any chance now.  I don't know if it is just my age but what the ****.  Why have windows on trains, lot cheaper to go without and dont need cleaning.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I have a bit of a family problem guys bit longish and would appreciate some advice. My cousin randomly came to my house the other night just before I was going to go see my gf. He is a second cousin who we are close-ish.

So we sitting there talking and he didn't seem himself. I asked if he was OK.  He said I am not doing too well, so naturally I ask what's up? And I was taken aback: he tells me he is in big financial trouble as he lost a lot of money gambling on football. He is £6500 in debt. I was blown away aa didnt see that happening from him.

He swore me to secrecy and asked me if I could take out a loan on his behalf for that amount and he would transfer me payments each month to cover that cost. (He said his credit rating won't allow him) I wasn't keen on this as he defaults I'm responsible. I said why doesn't he ask his parents to help him out.  Apparently he got himself in trouble before and his parents bailed him out last time as this happened a year ago. They said if he did again he is by himself. His wife also found out and said she will leave him with the kids if he did it again.

So he said there was no chance of doing that as he said his wife will leave him if she finds out. I offered to loan him some money for few months until he can find himself a way to pay and he declined saying it's his problem and he needs to deal with it. I felt very bad for saying no to the loan as he looked desperate but I can't afford myself to owe that to the bank if he defaults.

I am worried he might do something stupid. If he were I would be responsible for not saying anything to his family about his gambling problem. But then if I tell them, his wife will leave him and maybe he might do something stupid anyway. It's a  lose lose so I don't know what to do. 

Push him towards getting proper help from the gambling help agencies.  Maybe try and get him to make the first call with you or something.  It needs to and will be sorted out with or without him (As they will want he money back at some point).  Sell it as it is,  it is the only way to get in front on the problems that are on the way. Get in front of it and do what needs to be done.  No it is not going to be pretty but you cannot have the good times (200 quid Villa to win etc etc.  Lets not forget,  gamblers have also won before or he or I would not go back) with no bad times.  

I think it's the first step and he needs a push.  The fact he told you about it means you are pretty close to the top of his tree in terms of people he can trust so maybe use that.  

Lending him money want help long term.  It's no good fixing the money problem if it comes back harder next time.  It is family as well and the hit for the family is coming that is for sure but there are good and bad ways for this to happen.  He needs their support long term also.  I mean,  ****,  we all make mistakes especially with gambling or weed or whatever but ultimately it has to come from him and he sounds like he is on the way.  Anyway good luck.

• Like 1

It's a shit situation @Demitri_C but if you lend him the money you do it on the basis you'll never see it again. He's already been bailed our before a year ago by his folks and that never stopped him. There is nothing to say he won't do the same again. You'd just be masking the problem instead of solving it. 

Does he work? £6.5k isn't that huge if you are working full time in a decent job in London. What's his strategy for paying you back if you do bail him out? Does he work full time? 

Would his parents really cut him off if he told them? Would his wife really leave him? Or is he just saying that as he is too embarrassed/ashamed to ask for their help again?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

It's a shit situation @Demitri_C but if you lend him the money you do it on the basis you'll never see it again. 

This. You will not see any money back that you 'lend' him.

Also, he will be in the same situation again in 6 months time, having blown the £6.5k that you gave him. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys for all your advice.  He said to me he is part of a group that he attends to help.control his problem. I offered support in terms of going with him and helping him find other ways to entertain himself other than gambling.  I suspect it might be a lie as he hasn't got back to me about going with him.

I said to him he should tell his parents at the end of the day he has a problem they need to be there to support him not go crazy at him. I'm not a gambler but I see it as addiction that needs help that family shouldn't turn their back on. I don't see this ending well unfortunately 

• Like 2

Demitri - do not apply for a loan on his behalf. This will only cause you grief.

The most pressing thing is for your cousin to get help for his addiction - he needs to confront it and his family.

If he's genuinely scared of his wife leaving him, the best he can do is seek help now and show that he wants to stop.

There's plenty of help/advice available and it is a recognised addiction.

• Like 1

And another thing.  Some perspective.  £6,500 is hardly a figure to be suicidal over.  Yes it's a debt and yes you'd rather not have it.  But jeez, provided he's not still adding to it, it's a managable figure to come back from in the grand scheme of things.  His biggest problem is his state of mind and that's where the help comes in.  Change his psychology.  He just needs convincing that this is a speed bump that he'll get over, rather than something that is going to suffocate him, because I suspect at the moment he's very much thinking the latter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Demitri - do not apply for a loan on his behalf. This will only cause you grief.

The most pressing thing is for your cousin to get help for his addiction - he needs to confront it and his family.

If he's genuinely scared of his wife leaving him, the best he can do is seek help now and show that he wants to stop.

There's plenty of help/advice available and it is a recognised addiction.

That's exactly what I think needs to be done. Helping financially is a short term problem getting the help that he needs is the long term problem silver.  He feels terrified of any letters going to his home as his wife obviously checks his letters now to ensure he isn't gambling again.

He has been stupid no doubt but I think getting help is the way forwardown.  If he doesn't want to do that then he will always have this mess over him.

• Like 1

Just now, BOF said:

And another thing.  Some perspective.  £6,500 is hardly a figure to be suicidal over.  Yes it's a debt and yes you'd rather not have it.  But jeez, provided he's not still adding to it, it's a manageble figure to come back from in the grand scheme of things.  His biggest problem is his state of mind and that's where the help comes in.  Change his psychology.  He just needs convincing that this is a speed bump that he'll get over, rather than something that is going to suffocate him, because I suspect at the moment he's very much thinking the latter.

That's what I think problem is mte he keeps adding to it (that's me speculating)

Â