General Chat

Stevo985

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

I agree pal!

Also about the social media thing. Its ok in small doses but some people live by it and people have gotten famous just by being active on there and not by any talent whatsoever. 

Different times eh! 

Completely agree! I had a wonderful childhood. I wouldn't change it for anything and I don't think kids nowadays value what they have around them.

3 minutes ago, DK82 said:

Completely agree! I had a wonderful childhood. I wouldn't change it for anything and I don't think kids nowadays value what they have around them.

cost of everything value of nothing...

obviously not sure if it was my age or if it was what was actually going on, people were happy within their means, you made the most of what you had, more than anything, more than TV, more than my snes both of which id say i spent a lot of time with, i had a £1 petrol station football at my feet in the road, i got that £1 by washing a neighbours car too

reality tv and social media is to blame, too much time spent worrying about how other people live, that didnt happen when i was a kid, i had no concept of what rich people were, even going in to my mid teens

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

cost of everything value of nothing...

obviously not sure if it was my age or if it was what was actually going on, people were happy within their means, you made the most of what you had, more than anything, more than TV, more than my snes both of which id say i spent a lot of time with, i had a £1 petrol station football at my feet in the road, i got that £1 by washing a neighbours car too

reality tv and social media is to blame, too much time spent worrying about how other people live, that didnt happen when i was a kid, i had no concept of what rich people were, even going in to my mid teens

Exactly that. I used to do a paper round, It was an 'advertiser' and I would get home from school on a Thursday and pack them away and then deliver them in the surrounding roads, I would get £12 a week for that! I'd save the money and use some to go into town at the weekend, just buy music, have some lunch and hang with friends. Or we would use the money to buy things for our football set-up in my back garden, it was amazing. Tree climbing, fishing, walking for miles to play football, hopping on trains to get to stations without paying (yeah I know, bad), riding for miles on our bikes... hardly spent time in! But also had a Master System / Mega Drive when it was raining.

Oh and my friend had an air raid shelter in his garden which we transformed into an outdoor area for us to sit... awesome times!

52 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

This for me. In the 90s growing up you wasn't as judged as you are today. Like what you wear who has the better phone TV and all that. Shite like TOWIE  was the beginning of the end. Women now want to be talentless air heads like them or roided thickos with mountains of tattoos over their bodies. 

I wouldn't trade my time growing up in the 90s for now

Not a bloody chance. I feel luClyde to have experienced that time. Also I remember in the 90s xmas day not a single shop was open even on bank holidays.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phumfeinz said:

Man I love pink grapefruit juice.

Pink is my favourite type of grapefruit juice but is still behind pineapple in my juice medal table 

I remember I used to go for a walk with my family on Christmas day, it was always so quiet. This year we had to head to the in-laws and there were so many cars on the road and shops open. Feel sorry for the staff who have to work, it's such a commercial world now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DK82 said:

I remember I used to go for a walk with my family on Christmas day, it was always so quiet. This year we had to head to the in-laws and there were so many cars on the road and shops open. Feel sorry for the staff who have to work, it's such a commercial world now.

I used to go for a walk with my Nan and Grandad (RIP to both of them) on Christmas Day when I was little. Like you said, the roads were empty. It was almost a shutdown of the country for a week and it was great! Nowadays people empty the supermarket shelves just because it will be closed for one day on Xmas day! 

As a teenager in the 90's I feel it was a great time to grow up in. Italia 90, Villa being decent (under GT, BFR and Sir Brian Little), Euro 96, 'Cool Britannia' and great days of clubbing when i was old enough towards the end of the decade. No social media or anything like that. Just happy times. 

i deactivated my social media accounts in 2013 and don't miss them one bit. This is only bit of online social interaction I do! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

I used to go for a walk with my Nan and Grandad (RIP to both of them) on Christmas Day when I was little. Like you said, the roads were empty. It was almost a shutdown of the country for a week and it was great! Nowadays people empty the supermarket shelves just because it will be closed for one day on Xmas day! 

As a teenager in the 90's I feel it was a great time to grow up in. Italia 90, Villa being decent (under GT, BFR and Sir Brian Little), Euro 96, 'Cool Britannia' and great days of clubbing when i was old enough towards the end of the decade. No social media or anything like that. Just happy times. 

i deactivated my social media accounts in 2013 and don't miss them one bit. This is only bit of online social interaction I do! 

Completely agree with this. It was the same boxing day good Friday and easter yet they are all open. I£££ has ruined a lot of today. Like you guys I remember roads being empty on Xmas day now you see cars parked on main roads ready to go to this offies to but things first Xmas day

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Mate, this is exactly how I remember it all too. Makes me think of my nan coming over, she bought me a mega drive (year, I cannot remember... 94 maybe?) and she was sat there playing it with me asking what to do, that was an amazing memory!

But it all seems so rushed now - and you are right, it was like the country shut down. Now it feels like everybody is rushing around and it just doesn't feel the same.

I use my social media accounts for work :( so have no choice but to use social media. I hate it though. I've deactivated this week because of my birthday but am also using that time to finish my fiction book. I've been asked to send in sample chapters to be looked at, so am working on that... as well as suffering a horrible upper respiratory infection!

1 hour ago, DK82 said:

Mate, this is exactly how I remember it all too. Makes me think of my nan coming over, she bought me a mega drive (year, I cannot remember... 94 maybe?) and she was sat there playing it with me asking what to do, that was an amazing memory!

But it all seems so rushed now - and you are right, it was like the country shut down. Now it feels like everybody is rushing around and it just doesn't feel the same.

I use my social media accounts for work :( so have no choice but to use social media. I hate it though. I've deactivated this week because of my birthday but am also using that time to finish my fiction book. I've been asked to send in sample chapters to be looked at, so am working on that... as well as suffering a horrible upper respiratory infection!

I remember something like this happening one Xmas I think I was 8 and my brother was 6. We always wanted a computer console and my dad never use yo buy us one. Then one Xmas he brought us the snes with the scope. Omg the excitement on our face, it was epic. Will never forget that Xmas.

country shut downs were the best those days are over unfotunately. 

One other thing about the 90s was checking football stories on teletext!

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

One other thing about the 90s was checking football stories on teletext!

You say it like it was a good thing other than **** horrible.Slow, terrible to use, you might get a couple of Villa articles a day if you were lucky. Following the matches meant just knowing who scored the goals.

Some things were good back in the old days, but the sheer volume of information we have at our fingertips is incredible. There's no era in the past I'd rather live in than now.

• Like 1

Being a kid in the 70's was great where I lived. A deserted funfair, derelict dockland and the UK's largest graveyard of steam locomotives.

A typical weekend might involve stripping timber from the funfair and building giant bonfires on the beach, with aerosol cans added for a sense of jeopardy.

Or sometimes we'd get hold of a row boat and row down the tunnels created by tethering scrapped BP oil tanker ships together in the docks.

But longer term planning, we would scoop all the asbestos out of the boiler linings of the steam trains and mould it into bike ramps. After a couple of days it would have dried out enough to form this week's bike race track. 

For more instant gratification, we'd simply run along the roofs of the trains lobbing stones at each other, cowboy stylee.

It was swallows and amazons meets scooby doo meets 28 days later.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You say it like it was a good thing other than **** horrible.Slow, terrible to use, you might get a couple of Villa articles a day if you were lucky. Following the matches meant just knowing who scored the goals.

Some things were good back in the old days, but the sheer volume of information we have at our fingertips is incredible. There's no era in the past I'd rather live in than now.

Don't knock teletext!! You only say that because it's out dated now! You make a interesting point. Ok the technology is a lot better and quicker than what it use to be. But I prefer the90s before smartphone were around. People actually interacted with each other. Go into a coffee shop or anywhere and look how many groups are out but one or more of them is on their phone/tablet browsing the net or on Facebook.

the world would crumble I think if we had to revert to the days of the 90s especially in this country!

Teletext for me is a great memory! Who remembers the football pundit on there who always called Gregory 'Grecian'? 

Those were the days :)

Also coming home and playing World Cup Cricket, which was an absolute bastard if your opponent set his field up perfectly!

Edit to add: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ATHERTONS-CRICKET-original-table-top-cricket/dp/B004DCZ9ZW

That was it. Loved that! Best cricket game till I got hooked on Brian Lara Cricket on the PS1!

Edited by DK82
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DK82 said:

Teletext for me is a great memory! Who remembers the football pundit on there who always called Gregory 'Grecian'? 

Those were the days :)

Also coming home and playing World Cup Cricket, which was an absolute bastard if your opponent set his field up perfectly!

Edit to add: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ATHERTONS-CRICKET-original-table-top-cricket/dp/B004DCZ9ZW

That was it. Loved that! Best cricket game till I got hooked on Brian Lara Cricket on the PS1!

Now we are talking!! I remember him and also some guy who would answer football questions all week. Teletext was the one ;)

Â