General Chat

Stevo985

57 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

haha you lucky sod. tried that one didnt work, she wants flowers blue ones to be precise FFS

Well just remember that Valentine's Day is meant to be a two way street so demand something in return.

Maybe some claret flowers and a blow job?

• Like 1

Soooo finally went to the doctor with the chest pain .....ecg, blood pressure etc and on numerous occasions "have you fallen on your ribs" ....ya you have more than likely pulled a muscle ....take some nurofen......... that will be 50 euro plz 

Only just caught up with all this "boycott the Oscars" rubbish that Fresh Prince Smith and his wife (or is it his daughter?) are spouting.

It seems they are annoyed as no black people got nominated. Perhaps no black people did anything worthy of nomination? Perhaps some of you film buffs can elaborate?

It's like the police trying to get more black officers...if they aren't good enough or don't want the job why force them?

The Smiths are coming across as proper spunktrumpets IMO.

26 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Only just caught up with all this "boycott the Oscars" rubbish that Fresh Prince Smith and his wife (or is it his daughter?) are spouting.

It seems they are annoyed as no black people got nominated. Perhaps no black people did anything worthy of nomination? Perhaps some of you film buffs can elaborate?

It's like the police trying to get more black officers...if they aren't good enough or don't want the job why force them?

one thing I have always thought about you know the MOBO Awards ? how is that not racist? Its music for black people, if they did a WOBO awards for white people I bet there would be a outcry thats deemed racist so why isnt this?!

Black origin, which is all modern music, there is a direct lineage to all music from the blues, so all music is music of black origin, that said, mobo's were introduced at a time when modern music of black origin was massively overlooked by award ceremonies, the same as what was the brats (nme) alternative music was overlooked by the brits. MOBO's were introduced to address the balance and highlight the best music that was in dance, r and b etc. As time has progressed, the music and artists they honour become more and more part of the mainstream, as a sidenote its incorrect to assume that the people being honoured are exclusively black.

Thats the sum of my knowledge after all I like country music which is white as ****. 

• Like 1

White of black origins :D

i sorta get where Dem is coming from though ... Maybe years back there wasn't enough recognition of diversity by the UK industry and the need for an award to make the point .... But whilst it exists diversity is always going to be more obvious so maybe it's not the answer 

I remember listening to a program on either Radio 3 or 4, where they were making the claim that music genres like Blues, Rock and related, originated at least in America, from the Spanish, because they apparently brought guitars over there, whenever it was they first went there.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

I remember listening to a program on either Radio 3 or 4, where they were making the claim that music genres like Blues, Rock and related, originated at least in America, from the Spanish, because they apparently brought guitars over there, whenever it was they first went there.

I've  read bout the blues being the precursor of modern music ... But at the risk of appearing dumber than I already look surely the precursor of modern music would be classical music and that would have evolved from Baroque which evolved from gothic etc etc 

that's not dismissing the blues or r n b impact on world music but id imagine blues weren't the first people to play 3 chords over and over in a repetitive manor ?

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Obviously the whole point is that they're good enough and still getting overlooked.

I don't know, i imagine it gets pretty complicated when you look into. Safe to say though that modern music as we know it is shaped in a large way by the influence of black music. I remember a suggestion that Beethoven's music was inspired by African music and even that he might be black himself. And going back to the Spanish there was probably an influence on their music from the Arabians via The Moors.

• Like 1

I think the whole MOBOS and BET Awards stuff is even more poignant when you consider the fact that most music pioneered by black people has been co-opted and appropriated and they have long since been slowly phased out. Hip-hop is really the only one left. Case in point, ask the average person and they'll probably tell you that Rock n Roll is a genre by white people for white people.

Brilliant article from The Economist.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2016/01/film-and-race?fsrc=scn/fb/te/bl/ed/filmandracehowraciallyskewedaretheoscars

How racially skewed are the Oscars?

Jan 21st 2016, 16:05 BY J.T.
  • Timekeeper
20160123_woc197.png

FOR the 20 actors nominated for an Oscar all to be white could at best be seen as a surprise. For that to be true two years running is, to many, a scandal. While there will be no empty seats at the 88th Academy Awards ceremony on February 28th—live television does not permit such things—there may be a lot of missing faces. Confronted with what is seen as a “whitewash”, many prominent black Americans are saying they will boycott the ceremony.

In fact, as our analysis of film casts and awards shows, the number of black actors winning Oscars in this century has been pretty much in line with the size of America's overall black population. But this does not mean Hollywood has no problems of prejudice. As the data show, it clearly does. 

19m9vk3.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Obviously the whole point is that they're good enough and still getting overlooked.

I think most of the argument isn't that there were black people worthy of the nominations this year but they didn't get it, but more that Black people aren't being given the opportunity to get nominated because not enough big roles are going to them.

I'm not sure how valid that is, but I think that's something that a lot of people are misunderstanding.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think most of the argument isn't that there were black people worthy of the nominations this year but they didn't get it, but more that Black people aren't being given the opportunity to get nominated because not enough big roles are going to them.

I'm not sure how valid that is, but I think that's something that a lot of people are misunderstanding.

Ah I see. That's just as valid though. Whether or not is true is one thing, but I don't see why it's silly if the people boycotting it believe it's true?  

Edit: According to the article Stefan posted above "But blacks are under-represented in the roles that count for the Oscars, getting just 9% of the top roles since 2000", so it's definitely not missplaced.

Edited by Keyblade

Â