General Chat

Stevo985

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Come round to my area and use the term black guy and you will live to regret it. I agree it isnt racist but to them they find it offensive

Genuinely? Where do you live? A genuine question, also how do you describe someone that is black then? Usually if describing someone a person will go for the most obvious descriptor, when I lived in Trinidad it would have been ridiculous to describe someone as the black guy but if someone referred to my colleague, the only black guy in the team as the black guy its better than saying the guy with dark hair. Regardless genuinely where do you live that "the black guy" is so serious that a person might live to regret it.

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Come round to my area and use the term black guy and you will live to regret it. I agree it isnt racist but to them they find it offensive

OK, i'll rephrase it - "It really isn't racist to anyone with more than one brain cell."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Its not about the music, its about always being uproar about ridiculous things about black people. For example if a white guy says "black guy" its deemed racist but then you see black guys like rappers calling people "white boys" but thats not deemed racist. Thats the point. All comes down to this "political correctness bullshit" god its 2016 not 1816

I hope the fact that the most you can complain about racism is that you can't say or do some (not really) racist things that black people can gives you pause. The fact that you can be offended by black people simply having their own awards (without getting into how ridiculous a WOBOs would be) and cry reverse racism says it all I think. There are people who wish that was the extent of the racism they have to deal with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

I think you have vastly missed the point. You said "why are there not WOBO's (MOWO's)?" I explained that the MOBO's started because of a, more than likely legitimate, impression of under-representation at typical awards ceremonies at the time which didn't reflect what music was really popular with all of society (not just the white, middle class).

It's entirely understandable why people who feel under-represented aim to correct that. All you're doing by suggesting a white version of a black thing is highlighting the ridiculousness of that mis-representation in the first place.

in 500 or so years when globalization means humans have blended into one giant beige mass and the concept of 'race' no longer exists and everyone has the same ancestors, you won't have to get so annoyed by certain groups of people wanting their voices heard in equal measure.

i think your getting confused at what I am actually saying I am saying that white people don't complain about MOBOs being for music for black people but if there was a awards ceremony for just white people there would be uproar. I personally don't have  a problem with it but I have a problem with them complaining all the time about turning things into skin colour PR bullshit when it isn't about that like what the Smiths are doing with the Oscars.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Genuinely? Where do you live? A genuine question, also how do you describe someone that is black then? Usually if describing someone a person will go for the most obvious descriptor, when I lived in Trinidad it would have been ridiculous to describe someone as the black guy but if someone referred to my colleague, the only black guy in the team as the black guy its better than saying the guy with dark hair. Regardless genuinely where do you live that "the black guy" is so serious that a person might live to regret it.

I live in North London near Tottenham

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

i think your getting confused at what I am actually saying I am saying that white people don't complain about MOBOs being for music for black people but if there was a awards ceremony for just white people there would be uproar.

Do you realise that the MOBOs aren't just for black people?

web-sam-smith-rex.jpg

jessie-j-mobos-awards-2011-backstage-1-1

amywinehouse1_4.jpg

The clue is in the word "origin"

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

web-sam-smith-rex.jpg

amywinehouse1_4.jpg

Shows how often I watch them :P

But you didnt answer the point I made about the part that winds me up, you seem to be more focused about the MOBOS awards itself than the point being made. 

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Shows how often I watch them :P

But you didnt answer the point I made about the part that winds me up, you seem to be more focused about the MOBOS awards itself than the point being made. 

Your point was if there was an awards ceremony just for white people, there would be uproar.

But there's no awards ceremony just for black people. So it's a moot point.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

i think your getting confused at what I am actually saying I am saying that white people don't complain about MOBOs being for music for black people but if there was a awards ceremony for just white people there would be uproar. I personally don't have  a problem with it but I have a problem with them complaining all the time about turning things into skin colour PR bullshit when it isn't about that like what the Smiths are doing with the Oscars.

As has been mentioned, and I even wrote earlier that Ed Sheeran and so on are MOBO winners, they're not just for black people and that was one of the points I was making. Also it does sound like you are complaining that MOBOs are only for black people, directly contradicting your own point.

It's not black people turning it into a skin colour issue. As I said, the creation of things like the MOBOs and other instances of black people deciding to celebrate their own culture, was due to the mainstream media not properly representing them. You act like there is no history of 'whitewashing' and institutional racism. 

Now, in this case, it might well be that black actors just didn't act very well this year. In reality, it's the industry that writes the scripts, the studios that pick which to produce and what directors to use, it's the directors that pick the actors, it's the acting schools that select the students, it's the audiences that choose what films to see, it's the American society and government that dictate who can afford to go to acting/music/any school.

Personally I think the Smith's are misguided in what they are protesting against. But they absolutely definitely do have a right to be annoyed that in 2016 a country like the US hasn't worked harder to shake institutional racism

Edited by a m ole

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

web-sam-smith-rex.jpg

amywinehouse1_4.jpg

Yay , I knew who one of them was (Amy Winehouse) do I get a prize ?

Â